(081) Journeymen Returned

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by sully » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:41 pm

Re: (081) Journeymen Returned

Dorgan replies, Come then, Highbough. If there are no ogres about, you have no problem volunteering ta enter the cave first, right?
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:52 am

So, are we having Wen remain at the abbey to study, while Dorgan and Highbough take an expedition back to the ogre cave? If so, please lay out the parameters of this expedition for me, and we can get underway. Remember you have Sir Kord, the templars, and the commoners at your disposal too...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:52 am

"Watch and learn. I'll show you how it's done," boasts Highbough.
Only once Wen is ready. No sense in further splitting the already splintered party.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by sully » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:48 pm

I assume Morgan, the PC, is long gone? Who is Sir Kord?

I propose we take the Templars, and try to set some traps along our route of retreat. Something like snares or ropes strung low to trip a running ogre. That way, Highbough and Dorgan can approach the cave and, if things go south, the Templars can support our retreat.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by mushgnome » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:37 am

With his powers of blinking and invisibility, Highbough is a good choice for "ogre bait."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:39 am

mgtremaine wrote:Wen is happy to hold the fort if Dorgan and Highbough want to go for a walk about,
Assuming Wen wishes to continue his research, then he would be totally preoccupied with this activity and unable to "run" the abbey at the same time; somebody else would have to administer the place.
sully wrote:I assume Morgan, the PC, is long gone? Who is Sir Kord?
Morgan, the former PC, never returned to the abbey. Dorgan is fairly sure--but not dwarf certain--that he was lost in battle in the disastrous action near Ket.

Sir Kord is the top ranking man among the surviving Templars. I singled him out in case you want to leave an NPC "in charge" at the abbey while the PCs go elsewhere.
sully wrote:I propose we take the Templars, and try to set some traps along our route of retreat.
If you do take all the Templars then the abbey will be undefended; occupied only by commoners. Even in this case you might wish to grant responsibility to a specific person, or... you could also leave them to figure it out for themselves...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:46 am

In the third town turn Dorgan and Highbough maintain an active watch. Both are getting itchy feet.

Wen solves two more spells from Ulric's second level spell book. The ref dices to determine which these are and finds [2d10=6, 2]. Therefore Wen unlocks Ulric's Comburent Phlogiston and Darkvision spells.

The ref dices to determine whether any unplanned adventure should occur this turn; 1d6=3, so no :|

Four more turns (weeks) of supplies are available...

What for next turn?

Post by sully » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:51 am

Dorgan says The time to act is now. I ain't gonna wait any longer with our food almost gone. Let's go now and see what them ogres have in their larder, and if any of it is edible by Man or Dwarf. Or Elf, I guess.

Wen, I'd have ya come along. I don't think I want ta leave the Abbey unprotected so I'm gonna leave the Templars behind, with Sir Kord in charge. You can pick up yer studies afterward.

Post by mushgnome » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:17 am

As previously mentioned, Highbough will under no circumstances leave Wen behind.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:31 am

The equation appears to be this:

One the one hand, Ulric's 2nd level spell book contains five more mysteries for Wen to solve. At two per turn, that's three more turns (assuming no interruptions).

On the other hand, there are four more turns worth of supplies.

However about I fast forward three turns, by which time Wen's research will be concluded (assuming no interruptions)?

Return to “Hinterlands”