(081) Journeymen Returned

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Re: (081) Journeymen Returned

mgtremaine wrote:I'm un sure on the current spell set up are By the book or back to making spells up?
Both. Having just gained a M-U level, Wen can invent another spell of his own if you like :)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:40 pm

Wen watches the exchange between Elf and Dwarf with amusement knowing full they both can handle themselves. "A magical werewolf smashing stick, well it lacks the elegance of a sword, the straight line, the faint, parry, riposte the Elven mind of course thinks in these ways. However needs must as they say. I'll carry this Ebjonjack at least until we get our friends back, perhaps one of them would be better suited for it."
So tactically we're in strange spot. We have the time to strike off try to get something done but what? Ket is still occupied, the Templars got wiped out, the Elves will not move beyond the Ivory Wold. There is little help we can expect so what should we do? Highbough and Wen achieved part of what was started when the Forest Spirit told us where to find weapons of power. Sadly we seem have misplaced the rest of the party doing it.

Scout the outs of Ket?
Return to one if the Dungeons?
Try to recruit more warriors for the Abbey?
Travel back to the Ivory Wold in hopes of picking up spells and council?
Ideas?
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by sully » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:59 pm

I think we need to go back through the portal and bring back the rest of the party.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Logistically there is a time problem if we were gone of months then I think it might worth taking a week detour to gain some more equipment or something, the time lag on the other side will be tiny. The place is horrible seriously we got attacked by a pack of Purple Worms, I think both mush and I figured we were dead and tried to draw off the worms to save the rest of the party. The odds of us finding the tunnels that got reburied are pretty slim so walking across the desert to the fortress is danger with a capital D.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:42 am

mgtremaine wrote:I think it might worth taking a week detour to gain some more equipment or something, the time lag on the other side will be tiny.
This is true, for now...
mgtremaine wrote:The place is horrible seriously we got attacked by a pack of Purple Worms, I think both mush and I figured we were dead and tried to draw off the worms to save the rest of the party.
The moment where Highbough leapt 50ft in the air--in a sandstorm--and was simultaneously swallowed whole by two purple worms, only to Blink from the jaws of death at the last possible instant, is still one of my D&D highlights to date. :D
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by mgtremaine » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:16 am

Wen seems much more refreshed in the morning after some rest and goes off to find Dorgan. "I hear them call you Armiger a noble title and well earned, I can't imagine what Highbough and I would have faced had you not thought to return to the Abbey and secure it. I wonder by chance if you came across any arcane books while you cleared the Abbey, and more importantly have you secured Lord Ulric belongings? I find that might own limit powers have increased and I'm in need of new materials to study if I am going to be of any help."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:30 am

Dorgan has had the dormitory section of the abbey cleaned out and somewhat restored. All of the PC quarters and possessions are at one end of the dormitories in the section which must have previously accommodated the senior nuns.
Note that Ulric's possessions include 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spell books, as listed here. Let us presume that for security, and encumbrance purposes, Ulric has left his bulky, precious, tomes at the Abbey. He did, after all, insist on carrying the Speculum with him...

Note that all of Urlic's spells are "locked" to Wen until he employs his Read Magic upon them (which will "unlock" two randomly determined spells per turn).

Post by sully » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:48 am

Dorgan shows Wen to where Ulric's possessions are stored. He then makes a list of all of the reflective surfaces available to the group within the abbey.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by mgtremaine » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:12 pm

Wen makes himself comfortable and looks throw the books to find the proper ones before casting Read Magic.
Having not cast Read Magic the day before in the desert: http://ddo.immersiveink.com/#read-magic, once the duration is up he will pull out his own spell book and memorize read magic x2 to continue his research. Wen is search for Level 2 spells obviously since he has none and can memorize one. With special care looking for Continual Flame, this one needs be used to give us some permanent light sources.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:24 am

We're still on town time, so each turn covers a week of game time. During town time, I'll assume that M-Us can memorise and/or use any spell that they have access to. This is the perfect time to use The Effable Apperception (aka Read Magic) to "unlock" other M-U's magic spells.

I think it's okay to presume that Wen figures out which of Ulric's spellbooks contain his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spells. From there, a turn of researching Ulric's 2nd level spellbook (including use of Read Magic) will unlock two spells. Since the spells therein are initially incomprehensible, I will dice to determine which spells Wen unlocks each turn of study...

Return to “Hinterlands”