(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:50 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

waysoftheearth wrote:
eris wrote: Ref, is Olaf still sleeping?
Olaf is fine to move about, and talk, and otherwise behave normally. He is just like an ordinary 1st level PC.

On the other hand, the strapping young fighter is very much enjoying the attentions of the beautiful Sister Margarette... almost makes the hardships of his latest misadventure worthwhile!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:07 am

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

danhem wrote:
Ulric takes the sack of coins downstairs to count and offer to Olaf's fund.

"I found this in Wibert's room," he explains. "I think it would be advisable to use it to help pay for Olaf' restoration. Unless anyone objects?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:38 am

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

rleduc wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Guntrum is yet to decide what to do with the Fell Blade.
Guntrum quite reluctantly accepts Ulric's offer to store it in his strongbox for now. "I confess that I don't much like leavin' it be. I've heard tales of magic blades that call to their owners for rescue. I'd hate for one of those fiends to turn up here!" Still, if Ulric reckons it worth knowing the properties of the blade, in case we should meet its like in the future, Guntrum will leave him to it for now, with a request that he also seek knowledge of how to destroy it. "Won't be doing us any good, a fell thing like that."

Guntrum sheepishly takes note of the collections being taken, having as of yet no treasure to speak of beyond the fell blade. He perks up at any discussion of any particular expedition that might result in treasure. If things drag on, he'll seek out Josiane and see what she might know about whether the Church of Thuul or the Sisters might help in the destruction of the blade.

It occurs to him then that no one has informed the Deacon of the loss of their two companions.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:11 am

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan will sit and wait patiently while the others formulate a plan of action. While he'd like to contribute to Olaf's recovery fund, he has no coin to do so.

Speaking of coin...

When he gets a chance, the dwarf will walk over to Josiane and hand her the silver* he has remaining after buying a shield and some lunch.

"Remember the tobacco we found in the warehouse? I sold it to Gustave, and I'll get ya yer fair share of it. I'm still hurtin' for coin since that gobbo stole my purse right before we met. I hope we decide to go downstairs and we find some money in the gullet a' that centipede. I could put a few gold to good use right about now."

*OC: Ways, how much did the beer and cheese cost me?

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:42 am

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

waysoftheearth wrote:
Various sacks and boxes of coin are brought down to the great hall, and coins and loot apportioned out and counted to see whatever can be spared for the Cloister.

After purchasing stores for half a week, the company slush fund is once again running low (1gp, 4sp).

The sack from Wibert's former room contains 193 sp and 235 cp, which certainly won't hurt any.

Dieter (N) has generously offered up his savings of 14gp, 126sp.

Olaf (N) himself has 6 gp and 222 sp. And the Resplendent Scepter.

Ulric (N) has 17gp, 45sp, 9cp. He has offered up a potion bottle toward Olaf's cause.

Gustave (N) has 8gp, 13sp and 2cp to his name.

Highbough (N) has 6gp, 189sp and 350cp.

Desmond/Mondes (N) has 7gp, 10sp.

Josiane (L) is broke (having given her last money over to fund the larder).

Dorgan (L) is also near broke. Having just bought a shield and spent 1sp on beer and cheese at the Jolly Noose, he now has 1gp, and 2sp remaining (I think).

Guntrum (L) is ever impoverished, still having just 1sp and 8 coppers to his name.

Sister Margarette's eyes bulge at the sight before she hastily averts her eyes from the corrupting wealth.

"The Cloister could do so much good for the meek and the suffering with your patronage," she whispers, somewhat in awe of the treasure arrayed upon the table before you...

It is mid afternoon. There is plenty of coin about the place, and the scent of a decent afternoon tea and dinner to come are beginning to waft in from the kitchen. And there has been talk yet of clearing out the basement...

What to do next?

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:08 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

mushgnome wrote:
Highbough keeps 6gp/6sp/6cp pocket change and donates the rest to the "Save the Meatshields!" fund. (And for some groceries... but he will not deal with the goblin servants directly.)

(OOC a holy quest sounds fun, but Highbough would probably never go for it in-character...)

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:22 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

ehiker133 wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote: Desmond/Mondes (N) has 7gp, 10sp.
Desmond offers up the 7gp he has towards the cause, as well as a pledge to help come up with whatever the difference is after everyone chips in what they can/will.

As Mondes starts to protest, Desmond stomps on his right instep with his left foot and quietly hisses, "Shut up, noggin. It's us what got him there in the first place..."

Whether that is fully or only partially true, Desmond feels partially responsible for some of what happened down in the tomb.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:45 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan speaks up at the sight of Wibert's money being added to the group's funds.

"Ain't right ta spend someone's money after he's dead. At least not until we tried to find his kin. Truly, we don't even know he's dead fer sure."

The dwarf stops to scratch his chin under his beard.

"Anyone know where he hailed from? We should try to see if he got family 'fore we take what's rightfully his."

On the subject of raising money for Olaf - "I'm with the rest of ya as far as payin' fer the Mother Superior but we should consider what the Miss said about doing a good deed in return. Save us some coin and mebbe make some friends in this town what don't like them gobbos."

On the subject of what to do next - "As for me, I'm ready to go downstairs right now. Don't matter none if it's day 'o night when yer underground. Let's kill that critter and do some more explorin'."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:07 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

ehiker133 wrote:
sulldawga wrote: On the subject of raising money for Olaf - "I'm with the rest of ya as far as payin' fer the Mother Superior but we should consider what the Miss said about doing a good deed in return. Save us some coin and mebbe make some friends in this town what don't like them gobbos."
"My first concern is speed. What if his wounds or his condition worsens? Could they kill him? How much time do we have to try and get him better? I think we should do what it takes to get him well now. We can worry about the deads' kin later."

Desmond pokes at a gouge in the table for a moment and then continues, "Plus... our track record for getting things done hasn't been so great lately. We're always runnin' away from things, grabbing what coin we can, instead of finishing what we set out to do. I'm afraid we'll get a mission to accomplish and then not get it done in time." He looks around and shrugs. "What? It's a legitimate concern. We're not very good at sticking to the plan."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:24 pm

(039) Dusk 'Til Dawn

waysoftheearth wrote:
'Tis a motley crew, indeed.

As for where Wibert hailed from, that is uncertain. As some of you recall, you came across Wibert during the action against Saxxon's Men when fleeing the Ogres' keep. Saxxon's gang, including Wibert (and the mysterious Dwarf, Niddhog), ambushed you as you entered the canyon floor via the keep's back door. Wibert and Niddhog "changed sides" at a most opportune moment and helped you defeat their former fellows.

He never mentioned any relatives, or a home, that any of you recall.

Return to “Hinterlands”