(079) What a Gnome Knows

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by sully » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

The Herald says, Let's get some light and go down that dark corridor.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:23 pm

Leudigar

Leudigar rests, binds his wounds, eats a bit of food, and catches his breath. As he laments the loss of his shield, he tries to remember if any of the skeletons carried shields or if there was one in the mess hall. Then he ponders the idea of using his long dagger along with his silvered sword instead of using a shield...
Hit Point Recovery [1d6] = 4

He was down 3 hp, so he is fully recovered to 6. Unfortunately, his AC goes up two pips to 5/5 because of the loss of his shield.

Can I re-ask the question about dual-wielding his silvered sword and long dagger and what the benefits/detriments of that might be?
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by The Red Baron » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:22 pm

I rolled a 3.

Dopey now has 4 hp.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:22 pm

My apologies ehiker; I did see your question earlier. Two weapon fighting will continue to work the way I've been doing it for quite a while now, which is:
* In normal attacking mode: an even attack roll indicates a hit with your main/on weapon, an odd attack roll indicates a hit with your secondary/off weapon. A natural 20 indicates hits with both weapons (i.e., 2--12 hp damage).
* In defensive mode (aka parrying): a main gauche gives the opponent a -2 attack adjustment (same as a shield) in melee combat only.
* In defensive mode (aka parrying): the PC benefits from the best weapon option for the parry and counterstrike moves.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:34 pm

Thanks for rolling those dice folks; that's outsourcing :)

I'm intending to start a new thread for the next section of adventure for the currently participating players. PCs of players who don't post in the new thread will be assumed to remain here (in the kitchen). They can establish a bit of a "fallback position" so that way Arian's body can stay here under guard of the remaining PCs in NPC mode. If it turns out that Wetzel also wants to "stay back", it's potentially possible that acodispo could run one of the other PCs.

Okay, new thread coming up shortly...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Zax I think took a minor hit for 1 damage some time ago, but has since had 2 rest periods, so I will assume he is at full hp. He has also decided to no longer take any damage to limit player angst in maintaining a character sheet.

He will light a torch to explore the dark tunnel once a new thread has been established
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by flightcommander » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:26 am

Akbar falls in behind the gnome, arbalest once again at the ready.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Post by The Red Baron » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:14 pm

Do any of the skeletons have shields?
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:26 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:My apologies ehiker; I did see your question earlier. Two weapon fighting will continue to work the way I've been doing it for quite a while now, which is:
* In normal attacking mode: an even attack roll indicates a hit with your main/on weapon, an odd attack roll indicates a hit with your secondary/off weapon. A natural 20 indicates hits with both weapons (i.e., 2--12 hp damage).
* In defensive mode (aka parrying): a main gauche gives the opponent a -2 attack adjustment (same as a shield) in melee combat only.
* In defensive mode (aka parrying): the PC benefits from the best weapon option for the parry and counterstrike moves.
So that means in defensive mode, Leudigar would never attack first, but would get the -2 attack adjustment and get to counterstrike? That is acceptable in lieu of having a shield.

Also, if anyone has the spell handy and we have a chance to burn a spell, it might not be a bad idea to have someone cast Detect Magic on everything we've collected thus far to see if we have anything greater than we know.
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:28 pm

For the time being, Leudigar opts to wield his silvered sword in his main hand and his long dagger as a main gauche in his left hand. Any shields found can go to the other party members as needed. If they happen upon more shields, then he might reconsider his armament at that time.

He follows Zax and Akbar, eager to rid this place of its goblin denizens.

Return to “Hinterlands”