(079) What a Gnome Knows

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by Eris » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:21 pm

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

I think Freid has one hit, I rolled a 2, so He's back to full HP.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:35 am

ehiker133 wrote:So that means in defensive mode, Leudigar would never attack first, but would get the -2 attack adjustment and get to counterstrike? That is acceptable in lieu of having a shield.
Hmmm, that's kinda right, but perhaps I could be more exact:

When a player opts to defend (aka parry), he does not usually get to attack at all. The attacker is -4 to hit him instead. Sometimes (depending on relative weapon sizes and the attacker's die throw) the defender may get a counter strike. Yes, this always happens after the attacker's throw, because it requires the attacker to throw poorly first. See the parry rule online here.

Now introduce two weapon fighting.

When the player opts to defend (aka parry), he still does not get to attack at all. The attacker is still -4 to hit him (on top of the fact that his AC is 2 pips better for his main gauche).
Now the defender with two weapons may encounter a scenario where he can parry with his larger weapon (so not risk being disarmed) yet still counter strike with his smaller weapon.

Possibly the most complicated scenario ever conceived in D&D! Let's see how it plays out... if it sucks I will quick to simplify :shock:
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:36 am

Okay braave adventurers... over to thread 82 if you are proceeding.

Everyone else can maintain a foothold/fallback position (and any in character conversations) here in the Goblin Kitchen.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:22 am

Zax the Gnome, Leudigar, Herald, Zem the Dwarf, Dopey the Hobbet, Fried, Akbar, and Karl march off into the goblin tunnels, leaving the slain Arian and the wounded Wetzel under the safekeeping of Gerhard and Kianna and Faengol the Elves.
Are Wetzel, Gerhard, and Faengol remaining in the goblin kitchen?

I'm assuming at this point Kianna the Elf Sister/Fighter/Medium has gone into NPC mode, and will remain here (unless someone wants to play her).

Post by sirravd » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Gerhard follows into the Dark.
[f=4]Gerhard the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 6/6, FC Man, N) staff, spells: [/f]

Post by acodispo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:29 pm

Wetzel stumbles to his feet, thanking those who've bound his wounds. From his pack he retrieves and lights a torch.

"I'll be little good in a fight," he says, "but I can provide some light."

He positions himself as close to the middle of the marching order as possible and joins the further exploration.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”