(078) A Second Expedition

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by sully » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

waysoftheearth wrote:Meanwhile Brother Herald ruminates upon the possibility of an ambush here. It would be likely be a crowded affair, with almost a dozen people already in the narrow room...
I was contemplating luring enemies into the room, pulling the gate closed behind them, and then holding the line at the doorway, not in the room. The room would be filled with burning oil. We'd all be outside.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Eris » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:31 pm

"A trap is a good idea, but for on the way out if we have to beat a hasty retreat, I think." says Freid.

"For now, I say we move forward toward those voices coming from down the corridor." he adds, "We have surprise right now, we should use it."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:51 pm

Leudigar agrees with Freid.

"We can catch them completely unaware. No alarm has been sounded and they obviously have no idea we are here. We should take advantage of that."

Since their mouser has opted to not join them on this adventure, Leudigar offers to try and scout ahead if nobody else wants to do so.
Red Baron, don't forget to update your inventory with your pilfered items if you haven't already done so. When it comes time to calculating XP for treasure found, it is always easier to remember what you have if you add it to your inventory right away! Otherwise, you have to spend hours sorting through old threads to track things down.

This comes from experience. ;)
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by The Red Baron » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:29 pm

"I should think the goblins would come about behind us when the bell was sounded. I'd rather not cross the clearing and climb that awful goat track under heavy missile fire. However, I agree that the gate may be useful for the purpose of delaying pursuit: is there a simple way to jam it shut?" Dopey asks the dwarfs, who he believes may be more competent in mechanical matters than the simple hobbet.

"I would like to get away from this... mess," says Dopey, indicating the gore-splatted hobgoblin and the various bits of brain matter and bone sprayed across the desk, "I have a bit of a queasy stomach." As he looks at the blood-drenched Zax, he adds "And I would appreciate it if you'd clean yourself up a bit, Mr Gnome, Sir." (Very politely of course, as one would address a crazy toothless one-eyed blood-drenched gnome with a big ol' ice axe)
Character sheet updated.

Thanks for the tip.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Post by Tonneau » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:56 am

The Red Baron wrote: "I would like to get away from this... mess," says Dopey, indicating the gore-splatted hobgoblin and the various bits of brain matter and bone sprayed across the desk, "I have a bit of a queasy stomach." As he looks at the blood-drenched Zax, he adds "And I would appreciate it if you'd clean yourself up a bit, Mr Gnome, Sir." (Very politely of course, as one would address a crazy toothless one-eyed blood-drenched gnome with a big ol' ice axe)
Zax starts at the squeeking voice of the hobbet as if noticing him for the first time, then tilts his head down to hobbet level.

"Not you too. I 'ad a bath a week or so back so I's clean as clean needs be, 'ear? Any more talk o' cleaning might just turn out 'aving the opposite effect if ya know wot I mean."

He straightens and reassigns his throwing axe to its holster on his back. "You lot done yabbering? One little greenskins only gonna keep me satisfied for so long. Lets get this god-hugger's trap set up for if we need to make a hastry retreat and git on with the huntin'"
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by acodispo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Wetzel takes a peek now and then at the trap proceedings, but doesn't have anything to contribute. His focus (and his aim) is on the corridor beyond the gate, just in case they raise enough noise to draw attention.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Leudigar quietly scouts ahead, confident the others can take care of any trap making they might do...

He will not expose his position to any hobgoblins or goblins if possible; once he is close enough, he will try and determine how many there are in the next room by counting different voices.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Eris » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Freid, moves up behind Leudigar to cover his flank and provide him some help if it comes to a fight. Freid is moving as quietly as possible as he goes.
Assuming first, of course, that we can open the gate without making a racket.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:20 am

Zem continues to eye the latch. "If we could secure it we could lock 'em in, anyone have piton or spike on 'em "
What would it take to prevent someone from reaching through and unlatching the gate? Could the metal be jammed in a way as to prevent much leverage from the otherside? Would hammering a spike into the latch lock it?
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:51 am

Leudigar lifts the rusted iron peg out of the gate latch with a quiet scrape, then eases the gate inward just enough to slip through. It gives an irritable creak as its tired hinges are forced into action, but there is no break in the cadence of echoed voices from beyond.

After a moment's pause, Leudigar and Fried proceed...

...meanwhile, Zem contemplates the possibility that the bell-wire could be gathered up and used to lash gate shut by coiling it tightly, twenty-fold to the adjacent bar. That would take some undoing, for sure. Another possibility might be to jam the peg down as deep as it will go, then bend the bottom of it to a right-angle so that it couldn't be lifted out--least not without straightening the peg first...
Dungeon Exploration Turn 2

Beginning of first move...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”