(078) A Second Expedition


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 564

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Any chance of a quick map? I'm finding it hard to visualize.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 307

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

"That the best ya ken du ya great fat lug?" says Zax to the one remaining (if large) foe. Having whet his appetite sufficiently for the moment on the two downed minions, he fights a defensive retreat toward the long-legs - perhaps they might get off their skinny arses and help with this one?
Zax fights defensively and falls back toward the doorway
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 314

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:31 am

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Akbar, having moved up through the ranks, attempts to get a clear shot at the present foe with his arbalest. Mainly, his head.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:44 am

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

coffee wrote:Any chance of a quick map? I'm finding it hard to visualize.

Here is a very crude map:
  Code:
`````````````````````````````````
``````````````````````+-`````````
``````````````````````\  Unknown`
`````````````````````/`\  Room```
`````````````````````|```````````
``````````````````````\``````````
``````````````````````*`Zax``````
``Unknown`?-''-_`````/``Melee````
``Passage```````\+----+``````````
```````````XMas``|^   |`Mess`````
```````````Tree``+----+``Hall````
`````````````````````|```````````
``````````````````````\``````````
``````````````````````|``````````
`````````````Stair ===|``````````
``````````````Down````|``````````
`````````````````````/```````````
````````````````````==``Gate`````
`````````````Lobby`/ /```````````
``````````````````/_/````````````
``````````````````/``Stair up````
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:44 am

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Zax fends off the giant, hairy Goblin's sweeping blows gruffly as he withdraws toward the mess hall, where Zem, Dopey, Akbar and some of the others are forming a line inside the entry, and from where Brother Herald now comes rushing up to join the fray. Zax lands a telling counter-strike just as The Herald charges in to deliver the killing blow; crushing the giant goblin's chest with his mace.

As the defeated goblin hits the ground, the pair spy half a dozen like creatures--peering into the passage from whence they all came some 60ft away--vanish back into their chamber like whipped dogs.
Combat Round 2

Brother Herald charges into the melee, the ref judges the distance to be about 3" which is the distance that any figure is allowed to close in order to join melee, so The Herald can join the fighting this round but will attack last.

Zax defends himself, thus applying a -4 penalty to the bugbear's attack dice.

Bugbear's attacks 3 # d20 → [14, 1, 1] at -4 is [10, -3, -3] resulting in three misses. The bugbear's three thows would all have missed even if Zax did not elect to parry, so Zax is allowed a counter blow if employing a lighter weapon. Is a gnome's ice-pick lighter than a bugbear's cudgel? Zax has it 5 lb on his character sheet, and the ref deems the bugbear's cudgel to be morning-star sized (10 lb), so yes. Therefore Zax has a counter-blow.

Zax 1 # d20 → [14] @ +1 (FC being Man+1) is 15, which would hit AC 4. That's another hit; d6 → 5 hp.

The ref dices for the bugbear's hp: 3d6 → 8, erk. No wonder he was nervous. 8-5 is 3 hp remaining.

Now Brother Herald: 1 # d20 → [16], that is also a hit. d6 → 3 hp, and that is the killing blow.

The combat is concluded with three goblinkind slain.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 307

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:49 am

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

"Ach," sighs Zax, plucking his ice-pick from the bugbear's corpse and bobbing his helm toward The Herald "I suppose ill let ya have that one, but I did soften him up fer ya first."

"A 'least ya got some knackers on ya god-hugger," he adds with a less-than-impressed glance toward those huddled at the doorway, before moving to retrieve his throwing axe from the eye-socket of the other goblin and restoring it to its sheath.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1120

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:35 am

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

The Herald replies, We fight well together, dwarf. I wonder if we were brothers-in-arms in another life. Now, are you ready to face that rabble around the corner? I suspect you've cowed them enough that they won't put up much of a fight.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+lantern, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 307

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:57 am

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

sully wrote:The Herald replies, We fight well together, dwarf. I wonder if we were brothers-in-arms in another life. Now, are you ready to face that rabble around the corner? I suspect you've cowed them enough that they won't put up much of a fight.


"Ahrr," grunts Zax in response, "and next yu'll be saying I were a man and you a dwarf. Ha!". He pauses, twitching his huge proboscis for a moment - did he just catch a whiff of...pastries?

Zax shakes his head to clear it, "Well, I dunno 'bout you god-hugger, but I find the best way to sort out these kind'a queschins is ta crush some heads", and with that he is off down the passage after the remaining greenskins.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 314

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:00 am

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Momentarily disappointed at missing the action, Akbar's spirits are lifted once again as he follows Zax forward.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1120

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:36 pm

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

The Herald follows Zax.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+lantern, The Mellifluent Concord
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software