(077) Manfred's Bastion

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by mgtremaine » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: (077) Manfred's Bastion

Zem the returning group and ask about the goblin fort. "What happened out there, who's the big guy all bound up? Any chance you need an extra Axe along if you go out again? Another month of making mud bricks will kill me."
Zem is broke hence the reason a dwarf is making mud bricks. He will continue to do this to support himself but at the first opportunity to join a party leaving town he will go.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by The Red Baron » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:14 pm

Dopey's Actions (incomplete?)
-recovered 4gp, 10sp (+34 exp)
-sold Thick-Neck (+40sp, +40 exp)
-paid upkeep (-7sp)
-sold padded armor (+5sp)
-purchased shield (-10sp)
-sold "Gunter's plate armor" (+45sp)
-purchased hobbet's plate armor (-90sp)
Last edited by The Red Baron on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Post by sully » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:50 am

The Herald quickly realizes that he won't get a hire for less than 2 sp per day so he'll up his offer to that rate. He will try to talk Freid into working for him, favoring Men over demihumans.

The Herald then looks for a church, or any wandering cleric of Thuul servicing the spiritual needs of the camp. He returns Alfwin's holy symbol to the cleric for safe-keeping. If it's a church, he asks the chief priest to seek out Alfwin's kin and give them the 30 sp he had. If it's a more temporary set-up, he asks that the 30 sp be put toward helping any refugee Men or homeless Men in the camp, and that Alfwin is remembered in evening prayers that week.

If Freid accepts, and does a suitable job with the burial, he'll make the Man an offer afterward: 5 more sp to be "on retainer" until the party is ready to go adventuring again, at which point Freid is on his own but holds an equal position with the others as far as treasure distribution.

The Herald will not go out of his way to recruit anyone else, but if a dwarf, elf, or gnome offers their services, and either they appear competent or Freid recommends them to the cleric, he'll begrudgingly make the same offer.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by acodispo » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:07 pm

Wetzel, not a proud fellow in the least, and eager to return to the field with better equipage, goes to work digging latrine trenches. Somebody's got to do it, after all...

He works furiously during his shifts, humming to himself, and during his off-time he naps, in a tree if he can find an intact one within (or slightly without) the camp. He plays his fife now and again, entertaining himself and whoever happens to be around. And he also seeks out members of the expedition (as well as any new adventurers), spending time getting to know them and plot the next approach to Hezmog.

As their time in Manfred's Bastion draws to a close, he uses his spare time to frequent the armorer to acquire a new shield, and the quartermaster, or a private merchant, to purchase iron rations for the trek. He also acquires a simple clay pipe and a pouch of tobacco, a luxury.

The little wild man of the week before has been transformed: he wears a devilishly exotic pointed cap of Hobgoblin provenance, mail looted from a Regulator, and carries a shield as well as his accustomed spear. His bow is still strapped to his back. He's not yet had his fill of battle, and is eager to return to the expedition, but his common sense tells him he'll be less likely to perish with a bit more steel between him and the enemy.
  • worked 7 days 6 days (+12 sp)
  • went to market one day and purchased shield and two weeks rations, and a pipe and tobacco (-52sp)
  • paid upkeep (-7sp)
Last edited by acodispo on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Boggs will seek employment as the camp's Rat Catcher.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:40 pm

Zax eventally hears word that there is a long-legs god-hugger around who is handing out silver and rouses himself from his muddy hole. He approaches The Herald, just as Freid is putting the finishing touches to a grave.

"Well its like this," he says by way of introduction.

"I might be findin' miself a wee bit short of coin, ya see. And....seems like you got a bit to spare for one not afraid o' some sweatin'", he adds with a nod to Freid, the tip of whos head bobs up occasionally from the pit as he swings a shovel.

"I can also handle this 'ere," he continues, tapping the tip of his ice-pick (almost lovingly) with a fat finger. "So I'm thinkin' maybe if ur buryin' yur friend 'ere ya might need another ta take 'is place. So...maybe I can do you a fayvah by taggin' along with you boys on your next outing."

He pauses only slightly before adding, "And maybe p'rahps you can err...see your way to keep me interested until then eh. Wotchasay longlegs?"
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by sully » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:02 am

The Herald gives Zax a long look, and an appraising sniff, and nods slowly.

Reaching into his coin pocket, he pulls out three silvers and hands them over.

If you're still with me in three days, there's four more coins for you.

Giving the gnome one more sniff, he pulls out another silver.

And see about a bath.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Tonneau » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:53 am

sully wrote:The Herald gives Zax a long look, and an appraising sniff, and nods slowly.

Reaching into his coin pocket, he pulls out three silvers and hands them over.

If you're still with me in three days, there's four more coins for you.

Giving the gnome one more sniff, he pulls out another silver.

And see about a bath.
"Mushobliged," says Zax, taking the silver with a stubby hand and disappearing it with surprising swiftness into an unseen pocket, "Look me up if ya want any more 'oles dug".

He half turns away, then castes a eye back at The Herald, "And ya can keep ur beau'y tips ta yaself longlegs. Ill watchya back if ya watch mine, but ill take mi baths when im goodan'ready."

"An' I'm sorry 'bout ur friend", he adds with a glance at the pit as he walks off .
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by Eris » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:49 pm

sully wrote:The Herald quickly realizes that he won't get a hire for less than 2 sp per day so he'll up his offer to that rate. He will try to talk Freid into working for him, favoring Men over demihumans.
"Well, I do need the silvers." Freid says rubbing his remaining 2 coppers together, "And I don't seem to be having any luck getting in to see Manfred about guard duty or such, so, yeah, I'll take you up on your offer Herald."

Freid will do the work he is given as well as he can and if asked about others will say, "Zem and Zak seem like hard workers and up right fellows. If I was in a jam, I'd take either one of them to cover my back."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:31 pm

Manfred's Bosun is not interested in wagon trains or stoneworks; there is no quarry nearby and he is already committed to building a mud-brick wall as hastily as is possible. There is, therefore, plenty of grubby work to do building and hauling mud bricks for 2 sp per day.

Boggs finds his particular skills are in demand and he finds employ with the Quarter Master for a princely 4 sp per day, primarily protecting the camp's meager stores from ever present vermin.

Dopey locates the camp's smith, who is a grim-faced and over-worked fellow. The demands of Manfred's soldiery keep him and two apprentices busy from dawn til dusk. However, he is able to procure Hobbet-sized plate armor before the week's end (which ends up being a combination of modified dwarf plate and other parts).
All those that are working for a living must allow at least one day for rest and/or any shopping or preparations they intend to do prior to the next venture.

Unless there are any further arrangements that need to be made (i.e., purchasing supplies) I will presume the newly enlarged company have met and agreed to strike out again by week's end.

Your fresh hp rolls will be forthcoming shortly...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”