(077) Manfred's Bastion

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by sully » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: (077) Manfred's Bastion

The Herald finds the nearest campfire, lays Alfwin's body down respectfully, and sits down to warm himself up.

If anyone joins him at the fire, he offers 1 sp per person to help him dig a grave. He'll take the first two who accept.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:45 pm

When they reach camp, Leudigar looks for one of the low- to mid-ranking officers in Manfred's camp - a sergeant maybe, someone looking to advance his rank who would be eager to present one of Manfred's leftenants with a prisoner who might have information related to the goblins that would be useful to him.

He spends a little time doing this, not just approaching the first sergeant he comes across, to see if he can find just the right one.

When he does, he approaches the man and says, "Some lads an I were out hunting up some food when we came across a band - humans and hobs. We managed to kill or clear out the lot of them and still take the leader alive. We were wondering if Manfred would be interested in exchanging him for supplies and maybe a bit of coin..."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by acodispo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Wetzel is tagging along with Leudigar to keep an extra set of eyes on Thick-Neck.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:03 pm

acodispo wrote:Wetzel is tagging along with Leudigar to keep an extra set of eyes on Thick-Neck.
Probably best if Thickneck stays with the majority of the group for the time being? Didn't think Leudigar would have Thickneck with him. But Wetzel is more than welcome to join him.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by The Red Baron » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Dopey obtains his share of the recovered coin, then sets off to find an armorer. The hobbet politely inquires after the identity of the most competant and reasonably priced tradesman in the vicinity.

"Excuse me!" piped the hobbet, "I would like to have this dwarf sized set of armor refitted for my own person; alternately, should it prove more fiscally and temporally economical, I would like to sell you this armor and be fitted for a new set of plate armor. If you can offer me a reasonable quote for this latter service I may also wish to pay for expiditing the completion of such armor."
ehiker133 wrote:
Easiest thing to do with the coin is divide it now.

Treasure Division: 7 PCs, 1 NPC
Treasure: 30gp, 72sp

Divide everything into 15 shares, with PCs receiving two shares and NPCs receiving one.

PC (7): 4gp, 10sp (Leudigar only receives 8sp)
NPC (1): 2gp, 4sp
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Post by Eris » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:18 pm

"What have we here?" Freid says, "Let's go see what they are all about."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:53 pm

Zax opens one eye (and an ear) an waits to see if this band of new arrivals merits more attention. He is currently feeling quite comforatable in the mud.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by coffee » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:06 pm

Karl will also stay with Thick-Neck to watch him.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:58 pm

The first campaign turn, comprising a wilderness trek, has passed. It resulted in the deaths of four player-characters, the capture of Thick-Nick, and the gaining of some minor loot and some important information.

Campaign Turn 2

We now zoom back out to more abstract Campaign Turn (a.k.a. "Town Time") level.

In this next period you can each perform any town-side or adventure-preparation type activities that could reasonably be achieved within a week. If nothing more detailed is specified, I will presume that your player-character is cooling his/her heals and resting up in preparation for the next adventure.

During this turn of town time you can assume that:

* You must spend a minimum of 7 sp on cost of living expenses,
* If you don't have 7 sp for living costs, you must either work (assuming basic laborer rate of 2 sp per day digging latrine trenches and/or hauling mud for construction of a palisade wall around the camp), or else explain how your character earns his/her keep.

* You can sell any surplus arms/armor/whole-equipment for half the list price. If this equipment was captured during the recent adventure, then it counts as treasure, and you will get 1 XP for each 1 sp worth of treasure so recovered,
* Thick-Neck can be handed over ("sold") to Manfred's Guard for a finder's fee of 300 sp (also resulting in 300 XP earned),
* You can buy any standard equipment at the list price,
* Spell casters may construct spell scrolls,
* Hirelings (including mercenaries) can be sought,

* Etc. (we can discuss whatever other activities you might want to try).
* Don't forget that a reasonable amount of "rest" is presumed, and is in fact necessary!

* Due to my having insufficient time I'd now like players to be responsible for tracking their own XP. You can divide the treasure (and thus the XP) anyway you see fit, and I'll ask Ehiker to post a final XP distribution summary to ensure everyone is on the same page. I'll still be about to answer questions and make rulings of course :)

We already have a few players intentions posted since your arrival in town (great work!) but could I ask everyone to please summarise their week of town time in the context of the above (even if it means re-posting an action you have already described)?

May your time in Manfred's Bastion be fruitful!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Eris » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:57 am

Freid does try to interest Manfred in using the wagons to haul stone to make the camp more secure. He offers his services as part of a guard for the wagons hauling stone at a nominal fee of 4 sp per day. If he can't get in to see Manfred, or if Manfred turns him down, he'll take any job he can get at the 2 sp a day going rate to keep the wolf away from his door.

When he isn't working he'll attempt to make friends with the party of adventurers that came into town with the prisoner. He's looking to sign on with them for their next expedition out into the Hinterlands.

Freid will also keep his ears and eyes open for any stories, rumors, or just plain talk about the area.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”