(076) Off the Beaten Track


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 189

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am

Location: Northern California

Post Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:00 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Faengol will scout with Leudigar. "The higher the ridge, the better. One thing we don't have is paper, to draw a map. I will need to remedy this when we get to a trader - that and relieving myself of this rope."
User avatar

Posts: 1738

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Leudigar shrugs,"Leave the rope here at camp. If you trust them to watch your back, then you can trust them to watch your rope."

Once Faengol is ready, Leudigar heads out in a southeasterly direction, looking for the highest ridges to use as viewpoints for locating the goblin fortress.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 408

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Gerthrude mutters something about incompetent children and sits playing with her cats while the scouts roam.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16497

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:31 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Faengol the Elf Medium and Leudigar the Tracker leave their heavy packs at camp in order to travel as swiftly as they may, and set off at dawn in search of the next high ridge or crest in the south-east.

They scamper up inclines, and down slopes, and run at pace across slanted faces of rocky ground. Thusly do they ascend several ridges in their search, with little intelligence to tell, so turn more to the east during the mid morning--Leudigar having suspected most of the previous day that their heading was too far in the south.

By midday they have crested a tall and barren ridge of broken rock that commands a broad view of the hills for miles around. Here they rest to sup and drink from the frugal supplies they have brought with them as they survey all the hills, and crests, and ruts that splay out from their position. The ridge they sit upon is part of a wide and ancient ring of natural stone, split and worn by a thousand years, which yet conceals a clutch small lakes amid a forested plateau that lies beyond it in the east.

Across that plateau, perhaps six miles off, Faengol and Leudigar spy a flat face of rock on a hillside that must surely be a built wall. Faengol even fancies he sees the outline of a gate; and a path winding through some of the hills to its north. This must surely be the mountain fastness!

"We're too far south," Leudigar confirms.

Our scouts spend the afternoon scampering back to camp as hastily as they may, arriving in the late afternoon to share their report...
Wilderness Exploration Turn 3

Directions were not specified so the ref assumes that Leudigar and Faengol set off to the south-east.

Faegol can cover up to 12 hilly miles each turn (being four 3-mile hexes). Leudigar's better movement rate is moot assuming our scouts want to stick together. As in dungeon exploration, a wilderness exploration turn comprises two moves. Thus four hexes per turn is two hexes in each of two moves. The referee plots a plausible route in 3-mile legs: south-east, then east, then north-west, then west (arriving back where they started).

The weather conditions have already been determined (below); clearing, so visibility will be good.

* The ref dices to determine whether the company's progress is detected by Hezmog's scouts: d6 → ?

* The main company is not on the move, so there is no possibility of becoming lost.

* The ref dices to determine whether an encounter occurs this day: d6 → ?

* The ref dices to determine what Leudigar the Tracker or Faengol the Elf Medium might spy: d6 → ?

A third day's supplies are consumed. Four days of supplies remain.

What then for the upcoming 4th turn?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1738

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Having wasted more than enough time searching for the damned place, Leudigar says,"Let's circle back to camp and let the others know we've found it." He is hopeful that the lakes and forest currently between them might be used for foraging and hunting to great success when the need for food comes.

If there is no opposition from Faengol, Leudigar immediately heads off in a direction that should take them to camp in the quickest fashion.


ehiker133 wrote:Leudigar shrugs,"Leave the rope here at camp. If you trust them to watch your back, then you can trust them to watch your rope."

Once Faengol is ready, Leudigar heads out in a southeasterly direction, looking for the highest ridges to use as viewpoints for locating the goblin fortress.

I did indicate the initial starting direction... I should have been more specific with a searching plan, though.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

The Herald votes for staying put.

No point in leaving now with the sun so low in the sky. Let's get a good night's rest and be off at first light.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:50 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

sully wrote:The Herald votes for staying put.

No point in leaving now with the sun so low in the sky. Let's get a good night's rest and be off at first light.

"I'm not a trapper, gatherer, nor hunter, but if any among are, I'd suggest doing a bit of that now before dark."Gunt says, "I guess we will have a cold camp tonight, but having some extra victuals for the coming days would be a good thing. If it's not to be a cold camp, I"ll help gather some firewood."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

The Herald says, I might suggest any hunters go south, to avoid running into any Hezmog patrols.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 189

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am

Location: Northern California

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Faengol has no issues with moving back to the camp as expeditiously as possible.

"That gate I saw, was that our destination? I have been in caves before, but nothing like that."
User avatar

Posts: 1738

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"It's a goblin stronghold, built over mines," Leudigar replies cheerfully, "so... a secured fort AND dark dreary tunnels - the best of both worlds, really!" He winks to show his jest.

"We'll need to figure out how to gain entrance first, which may not be easy, given that it's a stronghold and we're not a siege army with two months of food." He shrugs, "Even if we were, that wouldn't likely work as their mines most certainly have more than one way out. They could resupply as needed and wait us out. No, we'll need to secret ourselves in, I'll wager. Normally you save dark activity for the dark of night. But with this lot, we might be better off trying something in the day...
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software