(076) Off the Beaten Track

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by sully » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

The Herald slowly and subtly unhooks his mace Leuchtend from his belt but takes no other actions... for now.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by riftstone » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Faengol keeps his hood up and himself well hidden behind the taller members of the group. The ancient words and long-abandoned symbols being recalled to his mind, in case they are needed.

Post by coffee » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Karl turns to face the now revealed warriors. He still has his bow in his hand and an arrow knocked, but hasn't raised or fully drawn it.

Yet.

He'll wait to see how the negotiation goes.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:01 am

A mud map of the present circumstances:
  Code:
.E.................................
N+S..............\.................
.W............L..|--...............
.................|......Valley -->.
.................|---....Floor.....
.............M.F..\................
..................|---.............
.............f.d...\-..............
...................|---............
...............H...|--.............
......h.............\.60+ ft.......
....C.h........g G..|--drop........
....C.h.............|..............
......hO.......b A...\--...........
........O............|.............
.........O......W.K.|---...........
.......C.h...........|.............
.........C.h..........\-...........
...........C.h.........|---........
..............h.........\..........
.........................\-........

W Wetzel the Fighter
K Karl the Fighter
b Boggs the Dwarf Mouser
A Brother Alfwin
g Gunt the Dwarf Fighter
G Gerthrude the Medium
H Brother Herald
f Faengol the Elf Medium
d Dopey the Hobbet Fighter
M Menno the Fighter
F Fendrel the Fighter
L Leudigar the Tracker

h Hobgoblin
C Crossbowman
O Fighter
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:27 am

The thick-necked speaker squints and frowns as he tilts his still-foliaged head suspiciously, seeming to consider Brother Alfwin's tale a moment. He is less than convinced, noting grimly that the players are amply armed for refugees, and that there are hands already on or creeping nearer those weapons...

"Arright," he growls, "Throw down yer weapons and we'll see..."
The referee notes that the players have not provided the customary, courteous reply to the question "Who goes there?", and nor have they attempted to diffuse the situation with any bribery.

The ref none the less dices to determine how the Hinterlands regulators will respond to Brother Alfwin's diversionary chatter: 2d6 -2 → 6, so another uncertain result.

What next?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:43 pm

"Throw down our weapons?" Alfwin seems confused "Well I guess we could do that but I don;t really see the need. As I said we are just passing through we had no idea this was your land, what's it going to take to let us go on our way?" Alfwin remains calm he know this is likely to turn to violence but will continue the dialog as long as possible.
So the secret guard post is up ahead a ways. As is the staircase. With the cliff on our right we are pretty pinned in.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by The Red Baron » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:51 pm

"I've heard that hobgolbins, like cats, can survive falls of over 100 feet without sustaining any bodily injury", says Dopey to the hobgoblin across from him. "I would love to see such a feat of prowess first-hand, it would be truly remarkable! Perhaps you will oblige me now by satisfying my curiosity, as this cliff is conveniently at hand and I do not know when I will next meet a hobgoblin."

I hope he understands me, thought Dopey, wishing he spoke goblin
Capital letters for men and lowercase for dwarfs and hobbets. :lol:
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Post by mushgnome » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:49 pm

Boggs isn't really carrying any weapons (just his old walking stick he uses as a cudgel) so he doesn't do anything. He tries not to make eye contact with the hobgoblins.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Realizing he is out of position should any melee take place, Leudigar slowly steps towards the nearest hobgoblins. When he passes by Menno and Fendrel, he whispers, "Get in front of Faengol."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by flightcommander » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:19 am

Menno, squinting and scratching his head as if doltishly curious, steps forward slowly to get a better look at the opposing party, meanwhile hoping to interpose himself betwixt Faengol and the enemy.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”