(076) Off the Beaten Track


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:52 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Karl and Leudigar loose their missiles into the night, killing two snakes at close range, then swiftly change to sword and axe and butcher the remaining serpents before they can pose any danger to their sleeping fellows.

Wetzel and a couple of the others roll over and open half an eye, but there is little need to disturb their rest...
Large snakes are up to 10ft long but are generally non-aggressive unless hunting or provoked; they are 50% likely to be venomous.


So then... any hit will certainly count as provoking them; let us pray to Thuul they are non-venomous!


In the surprise segment Leudigar fires his crossbow and Karl fires his horsebow:

2 # d20+3 → [22, 18], so two hits! 2 # d6 → [2, 1].

The ref rolls up some hp for the ½ HD snakes: 8 # d3 → [2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1], so the first two are slain.

No reaction check is required as the snakes have now been provoked; they will attack.
No morale check is required as the snakes have not suffered one-third losses.

(DD V4 doesn't state this explicitly, but CM and the 1973 draft OD&D both state that 3" is the range at which figure can be drawn into melee. The ref takes this to mean there is no time for a missile segment in the following turn, so it's straight into melee!)

In the first melee round the snakes have to close the distance (their charge move is 9" so distance is not an issue), but Leudigar and Karl have to switch to melee weapons, so the ref decides to dice for initiative: players, non-players: 2 # d6 → [6, 3], so the players will strike first.

Karl: d20+1 → 12, one hit; d6 → 6.
Leudigar: 2 # d20-2 → [13, 8], one hit; d6 → 6.

Well, this is a mighty feat and the remaining six snakes are butchered all in a hurry!

(Alas, the ref was hoping the Ratcatcher might Turn or beguile them, or the players might try tossing out food or fire to deter them, but none of that was necessary :| )
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:56 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

The morn of the fifth day arises, and the day promises to be cool and overcast.
Wilderness Exploration Turn 5

The ref dices for the weather: 2d6 → 8 so overcast.

Four days of supplies are gone; the remainder are growing stale...

The ref dices to determine whether the snakes were venomous; 1-3 no, 4-6 yes: d6 → 1, so no.

Karl and Leudigar each receive 200 XP for so easily defeating the 8 snakes.
(Although the ref belated realises no penalty for night fighting was applied! There must have been good moon-light).

What say you all for today?!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 564

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Karl says "We head straight back to "town"".
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1120

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

The Herald votes for heading back to camp with as much haste as can be summoned.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+lantern, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 1550

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:13 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

During the morning preparations, Leudigar stokes the fire back up enough to cook eight snakes on spits.

"Waste not, want not - that's what my da used to say."

After breaking their fast on roasted snake, Leudigar prepares for an expedited hike back to Manfred's Camp. Hopefully he can cut their travel time down, now that he has a better idea of where they are and where they need to be...
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp ½/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 195

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 am

Location: Montreal, QC

Post Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"I've had enough scares for one adventure!" Dopey proclaims, eager to return to the safety of Manfred's redoubt.

"But before we expose ourselves, let's check for any signs which indicate that goblins have ventured forth over the night in search of our party"

The hobbet strolls to the edge of the forest and surveys the landscape in search of any movement near the crater or among the hills.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:46 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Dopey the Hobbet scratches around along the ridge-top path while a couple of his harder fellows skin, gut, and bone the snakes, and roast them over a small breakfast fire, while Leudigar the Tracker surveys the lay of the land north-west, back the way they came.

Dopey doesn't spy any clear sign of spies before his breakfast is declared ready. The snakes make for frugal eating, but certainly even a sinew of fresh-cooked meat is a welcome change from stale bread. As the tangy snake-meat is chewed, Leudigar announces his planned route; slightly east of the they way they came will be the swifter return, he reckons. He might do it is two days himself, but this group will need most of three days--assuming nothing goes wrong, and in consideration of bearing Alfwin's body.

All that done, the company set off at their best pace!

A two day march through the hills is uneventful, but despite the improving weather, the rations are becoming exceedingly scarce! Anything fresh is long gone, and only hard, stale crumbs remain.

On the third day the weather turn for the worse and Leudigar changes the course due west. Around noon time the tired, wet, muddy, and somewhat depleted company arrive back at Manfred's camp. To everyone's surprise, their re-entry into the muddy "village" goes unmarked and unchecked by any authority figure; they simply saunter in...
Wilderness Exploration Turn 5

The ref determines arbitrarily that the snakes collectively yielded 4 days of food.
The company then set off through the hills north-west.

The ref dices to determine whether the company will get lost (actually, only delayed): 1 # d6 → 4, so no.
The ref dices to determine whether Hezmog's scouts will spot the company: 1 # d6 → ?

So three hexes are covered in the turn, and a fifth day of supplies are struck off.

A wilderness camp is made that night, with the players' standard watch roster.
The ref dices to determine whether there is a night encounter: 1 # d6 → 1, so no.

Day two of the trek dawns.


Wilderness Exploration Turn 6

The ref dices for the weather: 2d6 → 6, so clearing.
The ref dices to determine whether the company will get lost (actually, only delayed): 1 # d6 → 2, so no.
The ref dices to determine whether Hezmog's scouts will spot the company: 1 # d6 → 5, so no.
The ref dices to determine whether Manfred's scouts will spot the company: 1 # d6 → 1, so no.

So three hexes are covered in the turn, and a sixth day of supplies are struck off.

A wilderness camp is made that night, with the players' standard watch roster.
The ref dices to determine whether there is a night encounter: 1 # d6 → 2, so no.

Day three of the trek dawns.


Wilderness Exploration Turn 7

The ref dices for the weather: 2d6 → 10, so light rain.
The ref dices to determine whether the company will get lost (actually, only delayed): 1 # d6 → 4, so no.
The ref dices to determine whether Manfred's scouts will spot the company: 1 # d6 → 1, so no!

The players arrive in camp around midday...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:50 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Everybody over to thread 77 please, where we will switch to "town time".
You will all be rested and refreshed, have the opportunity to "cash in" your XP, and to spend any coin...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:16 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

waysoftheearth wrote:Wilderness Exploration Turn 5
...
The ref dices to determine whether Hezmog's scouts will spot the company: 1 # d6 → ?


As it happened, this die was a 6. However, the rules of play state only that "the (stronghold) resident will respond to their presence" which leaves ample wriggle-room for the referee to work with.

In this case the referee decided that Hezmog would send scouts to investigate the disturbance created by the players, only arriving after their departure. The scouts would have found signs of the battle, the players' camp-site, and--eventually--the bodies that were cast over the cliff.

Hezmog's Gatekeeper would possibly then want to inspect the clues personally, and would likely have cause to round up any of Thick-Neck's Pages, if in fact these didn't flee directly back to him. In short, Hezmog would soon be well appraised of the likely circumstances surrounding the players' incursion...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Previous

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software