(001) The Jolly Noose


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:32 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

billhooks wrote:
(Copied from an OOC post, but it should probably be in this thread:)

Victor suggests that he go in for 25 sp and Ulric go in for 20 sp, and they can even up later if for some reason they don't find a horde of treasure that makes 5 sp seem too petty to worry about. The rest of the group has spent equivalent sums on useful crap like torches and crowbars and shovels, so that can be their contribution.

(Or, on second inspection, perhaps not equivalent sums, but that's fine)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:04 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

TheMyth wrote:
"This is beautiful," Anwyn whispers as she gazes at the map, "But might I suggest we leave town as soon as possible?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:18 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
"I, on the other hand, would rather not camp out with the bandits about. I say we leave just before sunrise tomorrow morning."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:20 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

eris wrote:
verhaden wrote:Mads the Fair

Mads considers for a moment and looks towards Ulric. "This is a queer situation. Lumbard is a man of money and can certainly afford the loyalty of men-at-arms--what does he stand to gain by selling us this map?" He scratches his beard. "Or rather, what does he avoid?"

Olaf speaks very quietly so only those in the party can overhear, "When I was small we played a game called 'hot potato.' The object was to toss a hot potato from person to person...and as it was hot, you had to do it quickly least your hands get burned. If you dropped the potato that was the one you had to eat. I think Master Lumbard was passing his hot potato to us, and I think we just dropped it."

"So, if we are to avoid the penalties of this game, I think we should leave this town very quickly."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:31 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

eris wrote:
TheMyth wrote:"This is beautiful," Anwyn whispers as she gazes at the map, "But might I suggest we leave town as soon as possible?"

"Beautiful." Olaf agrees, "But I know little of maps. Um, I can make out what might be a river, roads, mountains, forests and such, and that looks like a town there." he points to the town.'

"But perhaps one of you more experienced in such things can answer a question or two? Where are *we* supposed to be on this and what is the scale of things presented here?"

Tearing his eyes away from the map Olaf shakes his head, "I think Anwyn is right, I thinkwe need to be away from here quickly."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

danhem wrote:
"The map shows at least three large towns or cities. Hmmmm...there also seem to be several ruins indicated. Your drunk friend at the bar mentioned some ruins located in the hills. I see some indicated here in the northern part of the map. There also seems to be a mine of some sort indicated here in the northeast."

Hearing Alwyn and Olaf speak of quickly leaving town, Ulric shakes his head.

"Caution is always wise, but what are we fleeing from? We should be sure that we are properly outfitted for this expedition; pool what resources we have remaining to purchase additional provisions, torches, and oil."

OOC: Ulric pays 20 silver for the map. I assume we know the general layout of the land around Ket and can therefore find it on the map. Unless of course it is not on the map.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:36 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

eris wrote:
danhem wrote:"The map shows at least three large towns or cities. Hmmmm...there also seem to be several ruins indicated. Your drunk friend at the bar mentioned some ruins located in the hills. I see some indicated here in the northern part of the map. There also seems to be a mine of some sort indicated here in the northeast."

Hearing Alwyn and Olaf speak of quickly leaving town, Ulric shakes his head.

"Caution is always wise, but what are we fleeing from? We should be sure that we are properly outfitted for this expedition; pool what resources we have remaining to purchase additional provisions, torches, and oil."

"Not right this minute." Olaf mutters, "No one said that, but I still don't think it is wise to tarry here longer than can be helped."

"Let us see what we have and what we need, and let's be quiet about what we are about.", Olaf says a bit louder, "That is what I meant."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
You soon concur that Ket must be represented by the village illustrated in the central foreground of the map between the river and the crossroads -- it has apparently grown considerably more populous since the map was penned, and the large road marked leading to left of page is little known nowadays.

The river must therefore represent the Wainreise watercourse Ulric temporises, it being more a vibrant stream than a truly a river.

The woods in the foreground should then be the Elderbough Forest an ancient, foreboding place which stretches far to the west of Ket, and so east must be to the top of the page -- which Ulric assures you is the normal practice of modern map makers.

The large city between wood and mountain toward the top of the page most likely is Maine, the gateway to the interior of The Kingdom, being the best part of three weeks away by road in fair weather.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:57 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

billhooks wrote:
"That weird little castle due south of here looks like the closest interesting place to go -- following the road there should be simple enough. Following the river to what looks like a ruined city to the north is another possibility. Those seem like the most easily-reached destinations to me."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:07 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
billhooks wrote:"That weird little castle due south of here looks like the closest interesting place to go -- following the road there should be simple enough. Following the river to what looks like a ruined city to the north is another possibility. Those seem like the most easily-reached destinations to me."


"Do you have any idea of the distance or time. We've been arguing so long, I can't remember where the sun's gone."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 12 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software