(001) The Jolly Noose

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:40 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
The season is mild to cool, with occasional patchy rain.

The recent hanging was at high noon, and it is now early afternoon.

For scale, the Elderbough Forest is approximately a good day's march from Ket.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
"If we want to get anywhere before night fall, we better head out soon. We can discuss the map and out destination on the way."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:59 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

eris wrote:
billhooks wrote:"That weird little castle due south of here looks like the closest interesting place to go -- following the road there should be simple enough. Following the river to what looks like a ruined city to the north is another possibility. Those seem like the most easily-reached destinations to me."
"Is that a bridge spanning the river north of here?" Olaf moves his finger across the map to where what looks like a bridge is drawn, "If we travel north from here we could explore there before we reach the larger ruins further along."

"If that large town at the top of the map is Maine, that is almost a month from here by foot." Olaf says, "If the rest of the map is at that scale then the closest interesting thing on this map is the better part of a week from here unless we travel across country."

"Leaving at dawn tomorrow morning might be the best plan...if we can get our supplies ready by then, and can decide what direction we plan to march, that is."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:40 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
Ulric believes that it is the accepted practise of cartographers to draw to perspective scale. This is a common difficultly for those not versed in the science of reading maps. The scale is not linear, instead things tend to be further apart when they appear further away in the map (toward the page top), and closer together when they appear nearer in the map (toward the page bottom).

It is very likely that most of the tales of hidden vaults and unearthed treasures refer to the hinterlands proper which are represented by the mountains to the right and top of the map page.

The main trade route with which merchants have complaint is that between Ket and Maine. The Orcs and Goblins of the hinterlands have been making travel along this route particularly troublesome of late.

The ruin indicated to the far left of the map is found, if rumour is to be trusted, somewhere in the swampy quagmire known as The Poldermusk.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:08 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

billhooks wrote:
"So -- leaving early in the morning is generally the wisest course, but we may not want the sun to set on our heads in this goblin-thick town, in which case we should leave now and make as much time as we can by daylight. And then, we still have the choice of two plausible destinations, one on the route to the hinterlands, and one in the Poldermusk swamp."

"Now or later? North or south? I'm for now, and to the north -- wet boots notwithstanding, I find those picturesque ruins fascinating."

(And, should we end up traveling by night, what's the moon like right now?)

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:22 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

danhem wrote:
"Very well then," Ulric says looking over the map once more. "The ruins to the north are certainly the closest, although I do not like traveling through swamps. It is often difficult to navigate correctly. But the ruins appear to be along the river in the Poldermusk, so if we stick to the river we should be able to find them."

Ulric looks to the other assembled at the booth for some sign of agreement.

"I'd say it will take two or three days worth of travel at the most. But we should be prepared for longer. Swamps are also bad for hunting."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:03 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
Three days at the *very least*. I have a week's worth of supplies, but no skill in hunting, even in the most populous of terrain. My beloved flail just isn't cut out for stabbing rabbit or deer, only the faces of those I deem worthy.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:48 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

TheMyth wrote:
"Well, we could certainly stock on provisions on our way out of town," Anwyn says matter-of-factly.

"I also have some small skill with stalking and archery."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:08 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
Victor's initial assessment is correct; the nearest ruin is approximately a day's march almost due south. The ruins at Poldermusk are almost thrice as far, as the crow flies.

The skies are blotched with dark, patchy clouds during the day, or overcast for intermittent periods of drizzle or rain. More so by night, so it would be unwise to anticipate fair moonlight.

You do not feel directly threatened by the Snork presence in Ket, at least not physically. It is more a certain sense of discomfort, that you and all the townsfolk are somehow being cheated or used...

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:35 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
Those intending to buy further supplies are well aware that with the brigands and Orcs of the Hinterlands stangling the flow of trade, some commodities are becoming scare.

Prices may be inflated and some goods just cannot be bought... at least, not from merchant Men. There are merchant Snorks who always seem to have enough of everything, however...

You must tell me what you seek to purchase and I will tell you whether it is available, from whom, and for how much.

Return to “Hinterlands”