(001) The Jolly Noose

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:43 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
Caine, Mads, Anwyn, Victor, Rodrick, Dieter, Olaf, and Ulric, you are all at The Jolly Noose, a tavern overlooking the town square of Ket. Anwyn, you are wearing a hooded cloak, and keeping your Elvishness to yourself.

Play begins... now.

The Jolly Noose is busy with merchants, labourers, harlots and soldiery -- but for a moment there is a hush. Traders pause in mid-bargain, tankards hesitate halfway to lips, and barstaff stand statuesque as every eye strains to glimpse the spectacle. The front awnings hang open to reveal a press of onlookers in the town square without, all gawking up at the gallows in anticipation.

"Long live the King!" rasps the fat, scruffy Man on the brink in grim defiance, and scarcely a moment too soon!

With an audible crick, the trapdoor gives way beneath his feet. The crowd gasps as he plummets 6 feet and jerks hard against the noose about his neck. The crowd quickly devolves into hooting, squealing, jeering and crying out as the Man thrashes helplessly.

Across the square, at The Executioner's Axe, the well-to-do Goblin-kind seem to be enjoying the view overly much. Business is back in full swing even before the entertainment comes to its final close. At The Jolly Noose, the mood is more sombre.

"It's a grim business," several of the merchant Men are muttering to one another, and many of the soldiery seem to agree.

"Let's all keep a cool head," advices Dans the thick-limbed, bald-headed barkeep sternly, as the celebrations across the way grow ever more ribald...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:56 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

TheMyth wrote:
"So," Anwyn mutters from behind the tankard of ale she's swigging at the bar, "What did he do get the rope?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:13 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
Sir Rodrick, sitting solemnly in his peasant's fastenings and sipping down a room temperature draft, answers, "I'm not rightly sure, my good woman--new to this neck of the woods myself. My name is Sir Rodrick Baerrik, knight-errant to the Guardian Path. What can I do you for?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:43 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

billhooks wrote:
"A better question is -- why are there a bunch of goblins across the street that haven't been stabbed yet?" Victor growls.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:46 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
"Easy there boy, we don't know what goblins are like around these parts. Maybe they can be trusted. I'm going to go talk to them, anyone want to come along?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:53 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
"You must be new to town, indeed," slurs a sorry looking drinker in Anwyn's other ear.

"'E only did what most of 'em wish they 'ad the guts to do," continues the drinker, sloshing his tankard in the general direction of the merchant patrons in their booths, "An' that is, stand up to 'em greedy Snorks!"

"I 'eard he did more than just stand up to 'em," interrupts another patron, "I 'eard 'e sent armed Men out against 'em!"

A few grim laughs around the bar imply that this was unlikely, or ineffective.

"Should 'ave 'ired a poisoner to stitch up Trader Grumolg instead," another voice suggests, receiving the appreciation of the crowd.

"Or a wiz'rd, t' turn 'im inta a right proper Snork," gaffawks another. This gets a general laugh.

It is at this point Victor growls, "A better question is -- why are there a bunch of goblins across the street that haven't been stabbed yet?"

"Then it'd be you lot on the gallows," Dans reminds them all harshly, "Let's not have any more talk of poisoners, wizards or stabbing folk -- even the Snorks. The law's the law, and that's all there is to it."

Most of the patrons mutter and turn back to their original conversations, but the sorry drinker adjacent to Anwyn turns to Rodrick and raps him on the chest, "Problem is, tha law don't know wha' it's let itself in fer..."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:00 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
"I am unfamiliar with the writ of Ket. What law are you talking about, my good man?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:49 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
The surly drinker is only too pleased to have an audience.

"Can't ya smell it?" he asked, theatrically sniffing the air about him, "They is tha law!"

"Don't listen to this fool," Dans advises gruffy, "Lord Ingo Gottfried is the master of these parts,"

The drunk dismissed this with an ale-sloshing wave of his hand, "An' 'e passes out writs o' this an' that an' what eva tha Snorks want. They's practically runnin' tha place for 'im!"

"I'm sure Lord Ingo will set all that right when he and his Men return and see the way things have deterioriated." Dans assures himself.

"An' that'll be when Snorks fly!" the smelly drunks laughs.

"Have you seen some of his Men?" Asks another patron. "Hardly Men at all, some of 'em, if you take my meaning. There's Snork blood in 'em if you ask me!"

"Well whateva'," the drunk continues, "They's buyin' this place up quick smart, an' they's got plenty a'gold, ain't they?"

"That's according ta all them tolls an' taxes they's chargin' us. It's our gold they's buyin' us up with!"

Everyone listening seems to agree with this much, at least.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:15 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
"I feel compelled by my order to help get to the bottom of this green skinned mess. Who's with me?" Sir Rodrick says boldly, but so loud as to alert the goblins to his presence. "You, my pretty maiden, must have skill him something other than confounding men, am I wrong? And you," Rodrick says to victor, "how about getting some goblin--snork as they say here--blood on your hands? By the guidance of Thuul Almighty, we will have peace in this land."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:21 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

TheMyth wrote:
Anwyn turns to Dans and asks, "Where did the Snorks come from and how long have they been in town?"

Return to “Hinterlands”