(001) The Jolly Noose

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:03 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

eris wrote:
Olaf watches the commotion and wonders what it is all about. He has come to Ket looking for adventure, gold and glory, not to argue about Snorks...whatever Snorks are anyway!

He looks around the room at the people gathered, several are drunk, but a few appear to be sober, hard men, and the woman in the hood...something about her draws his attention.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:12 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

coffee wrote:
Dieter takes a swig of his ale and leans back, rubbing his chin. "Politics," he thinks to himself. "Always room for some good fighting when politics rears its head..."

He takes another swig and enjoys the show.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:51 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
"Where'd they come from is easy," says Dans.

"The Goblin-kind have been hiding out in the ruins and catacombs up there in those hinterlands for as long as anyone can remember," he wipes down the bar as he talks, "Harder to say exactly how long they've been in town."

He pauses a moment to think. "It's been a year if a day since Grumolg got onto the Trader's Council. And the year before that he had his sappers putting in the new bank vaults -- nowadays they've got their fingers in just about every business in town. They've been around a good while now," he concludes.

"Years," agrees the drunk, staring into he empty tankard despondently.

"Where they got all the silver for their fancy clothes and feasts and servants is anyone's guess," continues Dans ruefully. "Lots of folk around here reckon the Snorks have uncovered a treasure hoard somewhere in those hills, but no-one's ever yet been able to find it. Plenty have tried, mind you."

Dans stares suddenly at Rodrick and the few strangers around him that seem to have been listening to his tale -- realisation dawning on his face as plain as day. "A couple of stout lads like you lot wouldn't be thinking of looking for it now, would you?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:52 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
Dans looks about to ensure that nobody else has taken an interest in the conversation before leaning closer to Rodrick, Olaf and Anwyn. The barfly leans in too, like a regular conspirator, to hear Dans whisper.

"It wouldn't do for any Goblin-folk to hear about it, if you were, you hear?" Dans warns, "There's every chance that these down here in town have cousins up there in the hills, and they'll know you're on your way before you do, if you take my meaning."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:24 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

Mads pushes his way forward and firmly places his shot glass on the bar. His dirty blond hair is cut as short as his beard, and he looks like he hasn't slept in days. However, unlike most other patrons frequenting the Jolly Noose, he doesn't spell of spirits or the barnyard masses.

"If you folks talk any louder, you'll be closing out your tab here sooner rather than later. They may be green, but they've got silver." He motions in the direction of the hanged man. "I wouldn't worry about reaching the hills. The town's dangerous enough for most."

Ordering two more shots, he passes one down the bar to Sir Rodrick. "Keep your voice down. You're full of heart--that's good--but it needs direction."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:39 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

billhooks wrote:
"We've got direction -- to the catacombs! I'm ready now."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:45 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

eris wrote:
tombowings wrote:"I feel compelled by my order to help get to the bottom of this green skinned mess. Who's with me?" Sir Rodrick says boldly, but so loud as to alert the goblins to his presence. "You, my pretty maiden, must have skill him something other than confounding men, am I wrong? And you," Rodrick says to victor, "how about getting some goblin--snork as they say here--blood on your hands? By the guidance of Thuul Almighty, we will have peace in this land."
Olaf says quietly but strongly, "Hold there!"

"You go over there and there will be blood shed, that's for sure! There's a crowd of them and seems like they got the law on their side here, so it'd be you...and whoever is fool enough to go with you...who's blood gets spilled." Olaf's voice is low, but hot, "My grandpappy always said I was foolish, but not stupid...a man would be both if he marches into that bar over there expecting to march back out again alive and well."

"There will be a time and a place for dealing with the greenies." he adds, "Friend, this ain't it."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:47 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

eris wrote:
verhaden wrote:Mads the Fair

Mads pushes his way forward and firmly places his shot glass on the bar. His dirty blond hair is cut as short as his beard, and he looks like he hasn't slept in days. However, unlike most other patrons frequenting the Jolly Noose, he doesn't spell of spirits or the barnyard masses.

"If you folks talk any louder, you'll be closing out your tab here sooner rather than later. They may be green, but they've got silver." He motions in the direction of the hanged man. "I wouldn't worry about reaching the hills. The town's dangerous enough for most."

Ordering two more shots, he passes one down the bar to Sir Rodrick. "Keep your voice down. You're full of heart--that's good--but it needs direction."
Olaf speaks quietly, "I'd heard the trade roads up this way were being raided by brigands so often that it would be easier for the merchants to just pile their goods up on the road and leave them than to try to get their caravans through."

"Figured this would be a good place for a man with a sword and bow to find some work." the tall rangy young man says taking another small sip from his mug of ale, "Figured, I'd be fighting greenies, and worse, but didn't plan on fighting the law, too."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:56 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

eris wrote:
billhooks wrote:"We've got direction -- to the catacombs! I'm ready now."
Olaf turns and looks at the author of these comments, "Do you now? Did some greenie sell you a treasure map?" he says then chuckles at his own joke.

"Bye the way, my name's Olaf, and I'm here in the hinterlands looking for gold, glory and adventure." the young lad looks around at those gathered here and asks, "Now who might you all be and why are *you* come to Ket?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:56 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
eris wrote:Olaf speaks quietly, "I'd heard the trade roads up this way were being raided by brigands so often that it would be easier for the merchants to just pile their goods up on the road and leave them than to try to get their caravans through."

"Figured this would be a good place for a man with a sword and bow to find some work." the tall rangy young man says taking another small sip from his mug of ale, "Figured, I'd be fighting greenies, and worse, but didn't plan on fighting the law, too."
"Unjust law makes anarchy look like a bower of bliss. You have my...flail." Sir Rodrick dons his shirt of mail rings.

Return to “Hinterlands”