(001) The Jolly Noose

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:58 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
eris wrote:Olaf turns and looks at the author of these comments, "Do you now? Did some greenie sell you a treasure map?" he says then chuckles at his own joke.

"Bye the way, my name's Olaf, and I'm here in the hinterlands looking for gold, glory and adventure." the young lad looks around at those gathered here and asks, "Now who might you all be and why are *you* come to Ket?"
"I am Sir Rodrick Baerrik, Knight of the Guardian Path, I have come to Ket to right the wrongs of men and make this world something worth fighting to protect."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:12 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

billhooks wrote:
"I'm with the Templar on that one. And in my opinion, making the world a better place means less goblins."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:33 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

eris wrote:
tombowings wrote:
eris wrote:"Figured this would be a good place for a man with a sword and bow to find some work." the tall rangy young man says taking another small sip from his mug of ale, "Figured, I'd be fighting greenies, and worse, but didn't plan on fighting the law, too."
"Unjust law makes anarchy look like a bower of bliss. You have my...flail." Sir Rodrick dons his shirt of mail rings.
"I hear you, m'laired." Olaf says with a hint of sarcasm in his voice, "And it's true that bad law is as bad a no law, but it's also true that many times 'might *makes* right.' So if you're getting ready to go to war you better make sure you've got the might to go along with your right, or you'll be right sure be dead, mighty quick."

"Like I said, there'll be a time and a place and this ain't it." Olaf says, "So, calm down, drink that drink in front of you, and *think* a little about ways and means before you go off and do something stupid and ineffective."

OOC: Geeze, Olaf is being a lot less rash than I expected him to be. [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Turning to the barkeep, Olaf asks, "Seeing as I don't want to be up there with him, how about telling me what law did that man up on the gibbet break?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:43 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

makofan wrote:
Caine wonders over, "Gentlemen, I heard the word silver in your conversation. Being fond of that commodity, and not entirely scrupulous in its acquisition, if you have a plan to acquire more silver I am up for a dersperate enterprise." He grins.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:47 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
Turning to the barkeep, Olaf asks, "Seeing as I don't want to be up there with him, how about telling me what law did that man up on the gibbet break?"

Dans shrugs as he pours another round of tankards for his other patrons. "I couldn't rightly tell you the ins and outs of it. For that, you'd have to speak to someone up at the Trader Council."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:50 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
"Sirs," a stout merchant with flecks of grey in his neat black mustache interrupts, and motions for you to join him in the privacy of his booth at the rear of the common room. Dans leans over the bar and collars the talkative drunk to prevent him from following you over, "This looks to be out of your leauge, my friend," he says. "Here, have another drink, on me."

"I am Lumbard Kort," the merchant introduces himself, standing to perform a deft little bow, "a purveyor of fine wares hear-about. I could not help but overhear your conversation just now, and thought perchance I may be able to offer some... assistance?"

Kort rummages through a heavy satchel and produces a sheaf of documents which he lays on the table before you. Some of them appear to be illustrations of a sort.

"It so happens," he explains eagerly, "That I have come into possesion of some charts made by the famous cartographer Gabriel Edwige. Are you familiar with his work?"

Confronted with blanks stares, he continues smoothly, "Well, needless to say, his work is most highly regarded by those in the know. What I have here," he rifles through the documents and places a map atop the others, "is one of Edwige's early attempts to chart the ruins here about. I believe this one was commissioned by..." he scan the document quickly, "...ah yes, the late Earl of Stadeholt, the honourable Benjamin Lutgard. He was quite fascinated with the ruins, you know, and something of a collector of antiquities."

Seeing your interest piqued, he smiles magnanamously and announces, "I could stand to part with it for," He assesses your need expertly, "just 80 pieces of silver."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:15 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

billhooks wrote:
"How about 5 now, and 25 more if this map actually leads to anything worth finding?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:05 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
"How about 5 now, and 25 more if this map actually leads to anything worth finding?" scowls Victor (Charisma 7).

Lumbard's smile disappears, you are not certain whether he is offended or has suddenly taken ill. "Gentlemen," he forces himself to remain mannerly, "It appears I may have grossly misjudged. Had I known you were naught but highway robbers, I would not have made myself known to you."

He makes to gather up the documents laid out on the table.

Anwyn and Caine both note that a number of burly looking security Men around the common room seem to be keeping apraised of the proceedings in Lumbard's booth...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:35 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

billhooks wrote:
"Spare me the hurt-feelings act. If that map is so evidently valuable, why are you flogging it to total strangers in a bar? You can hardly blame me for being skeptical."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:32 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

TheMyth wrote:
"I'll have none of this," Anwyn states as she backs away from the booth.

"This sort of talk can get us the noose. I'd rather wander the countryside and take my chances with brigands than stay in this town. I am sure the goblins have eyes and ears everywhere, including this tavern."

Anwyn steps away, but takes a seat nearby so she can still hear what is said while casually casing the crowd.

Return to “Hinterlands”