(001) The Jolly Noose

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:48 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
TheMyth wrote:"I'll have none of this," Anwyn states as she backs away from the booth.

"This sort of talk can get us the noose. I'd rather wander the countryside and take my chances with brigands than stay in this town. I am sure the goblins have eyes and ears everywhere, including this tavern."

Anwyn steps away, but takes a seat nearby so she can still hear what is said while casually casing the crowd.
"You have a point Fair Maiden, but we cannot abandon this town to an existence of such vile corruption."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:36 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

Holding the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger, Mads sighs "Isn't that what I said earlier?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 am

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
Lumbard pauses a moment before gathering up his documents. His frown relaxes every so slightly as his eyes come to rest on Mads the Fair.

"I beg your pardon, good Sir, I didn't quite catch that,"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:01 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

danhem wrote:
A man wearing dark traveling clothes and wearing an ancient looking sword belt sits at the bar. He has been listening closely to the conversation held by the warriors, watching and waiting to make himself known. Then he sees the merchant drag them away to a booth and take out a bundle of parchment. He moves a little closer so that he may hear their conversation. His sharp eyes catch the lines and writing on the paper. After a brief exchange the situation at the booth quickly becomes tense. Now is the time, he thinks to himself.

Walking up to the assembled group he bows deeply.

"Greetings. I am Ulric Hyrlfed. I am a seeker of knowledge and new to this region. I could not help but overhear your remarks earlier. If you are planning an expedition to the ruins in search of danger, fortune, and adventure I may be able to offer some assistance. Often one needs more than muscle and steel in such ventures."

Ulric then turns to Lumbard. "If I may briefly inspect your charts I should be able to vouch for their authenticity and assist in these negotiations."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:11 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

"Forgive me. That woman's common sense sounded oddly derivative," Mads says to Lumbard, downplaying his previous statement. "I am called Mads," he says politely. "I'm sure you can understand our trepidation. We're brazenly discussing an expedition which could jeopardize the status quo and..." His sentence is cut short by a man in dark traveling clothes. Only a few of his words can be overheard in the convergence: danger, spies, hanging.

"Thank you," he says seriously as he turns to the interloper. "Authenticity." he states simply in Lumbard's direction. "Nothing personal--it's business. I can't imagine the Earl or his heirs letting go of this map unless they had a serious debt to settle. If this is a copy, accuracy becomes a question, and so does the price."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:26 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

eris wrote:
Olaf wants to break in several times, but...with effort...holds his tongue. Mads and this newcomer are talking sense, he can see that, and he fears the woman might be right too. He steps back from the booth and sits down next to Anwyn and asks her quietly, "Why would buying a *genuine* map be madness?"

"Or is it the talking about it *here* that is madness?"

"My name is Olaf, by the way."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:50 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

tombowings wrote:
Rodrick sit, listening to the squabbling of his pears and finished his drink--better to let the talking by done by gorgeous maidens and silver tongued swines.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:51 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

TheMyth wrote:
"Greetings, Olaf. I am Anwyn Blodeuwedd." She then whispers, "I'd keep quiet and draw as little attention to yourself as possible. Those men will get themselves the noose with all this public dealing."

Anwyn's eyes darken a she fixes her gaze upon Mads, "And some may deserve it."

She turns back to Olaf, "Let them make their foolhardy deal and we shall see what happens."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:26 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

eris wrote:
TheMyth wrote:"Greetings, Olaf. I am Anwyn Blodeuwedd." She then whispers, "I'd keep quiet and draw as little attention to yourself as possible. Those men will get themselves the noose with all this public dealing."

Anwyn's eyes darken a she fixes her gaze upon Mads, "And some may deserve it."

She turns back to Olaf, "Let them make their foolhardy deal and we shall see what happens."
Olaf thinks a bit then whispers back, "Mistress Blodeuwedd, I think you are speaking wisely, but..."

The young man whispers seriously to the woman as he ticks off points on his fingers.

"One, the Templar is right, you know. Letting foul monsters rule in what should be a civilized town is just plain wrong. I agree we lack the power to dislodge and chase them back to the wilderness where they belong, but still he is right. It galls me to see what is going on in this town, does it not you?"

"Two, I know I would be grateful for treasure to fill my empty coin purse. Wresting it from the hidden troves and monsters that inhabit the ruins in the hinterlands is the least illegal of ways I can think of to do it. I thought our good King wanted those ruins taken and their monstrous inhabitants driven out, is that not so?"

"Three, is this public dealing a breach of the peace here in Ket? Is *that* what put that poor fellow out there to swinging on a gibbet? Have the evil monsters gained so strong a hold here that even talking about expeditions into the ruins is a crime?"

Then with a slightly self-conscious grin he adds as he flexes the fingers of his sword hand, "And four, it is hard for me to keep quiet and draw no attention to myself when all I want is to do something."

"But, I will try to take your counsel and bide my peace." Olaf finishes with a sigh and leans back, "Let us see what comes of their dealing, for I know I have no experience in such things."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:18 pm

(001) The Jolly Noose

waysoftheearth wrote:
Lumbard looks to Mads, then Ulric, then again at Mads.

"Why of course, good sirs, please do inspect the works," he says, his gracious smile returning as he pushes the 2ft square document toward Ulric.

"As I was saying, I believe this to pre-date the final commission that was finally presented to Benjamin Lutgard," Caine's sixth sense is tingling again as Ulric beings to inspect the parchment, "It is quite clearly marked so by the cartographer. Not the finished product, I'll grant you, but that work would fetch hundreds, mayhap even thousands. What we have here would be a far more... practical acquisition."

For all Ulric can tell, the map does indeed appear to a fine work of inkmanship, meticulously rendered by an able and educated map maker, perhaps several tens of years past. The central part of the map looks dense and whole, while around the edges the content is somewhat sketchy. The the bottom of the page are several markings, including what appears to the artist's signature, which reads 'hinterlands survey for B. Lutgard by G. Edwige' in the common script followed by a mysterious figure '1980', perhaps a date in some strange system of reckoning?

When Ulric is satisfied, Lumbard says with confidence, "I'm sure you see now that 80 silver pieces would be a very fine investment for anybody planning a hinterlands expedition..."

Return to “Hinterlands”