(031) A Cemetery Muckrake

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:31 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond is ever weary of statues - they spew forth noxious gasses and turn into flaming gargoyles.

"Y-y-y-yeah, let's run, er, retreat and come back in the morning with greater numbers. W-w-w-we don't want to disturb anything down here right now, anyway, right?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:10 pm

doctorx wrote:
Josiane is happy to pay heed to the words of her more experienced comrades. She has seen quite enough for now.

"Back to the surface, then," she whispers; "I have answers to at least some of my questions and answers to others can be sought more safely elsewhere."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 pm

sulldawga wrote:
"Are ye kidding me?" spits Dorgan in disgust. "Scared of a statue? Ridiculous."

The dwarf will throw his shield on his back and take the torch from Guntrum. He'll take his time examining the floor, without entering the antechamber. He's looking for traces of travel, as well as any tripwires or pressure plates.

If he can reach one of the statue bases without entering the chamber, he'll examine that as well, seeing if his Dwarven instincts tell him anything.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:15 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond's grip on Mads' Cold Iron Axe tightens. His voice suddenly becomes hard and solid.

"You wouldn't be so callous if you'd seen what we've seen, good dwarf. The last time we stumbled into a room with statues in it, they all turned into fiery gargoyles that exploded upon their death. We lost a good man that day - we almost lost three, including me. Stay if you want. I'll not risk my necks unnecessarily."

Desmond/Mondes turns and heads back up the stairs towards fresh air and the purifying light of day.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:13 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Dorgan and Gustram, at least, seem bold enough to take a closer look at the looming statues.

Dorgan does not spy any tripwire or pressure plate upon the floor, although he does note that what dust there is lies only around the edges of the room...

The four knights are each unique. They might be heroes (or villains) of old, for their plate armour looks antique in style. Their visors are open and their faces look haggard and terribly cruel.

One has a wolf motif upon his armour, another intertwined serpents, but it is little evidence of who may have built the tomb...

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:43 pm

doctorx wrote:
Josiane makes careful note of the motifs on the shields, hopng to discover more about them later.

To Desmond/Mondes: "Good friend - friends; will you be so kind as to keep watch by the entrance to the tomb? It would be a relief to know that our way out of this pit was guarded by a true ally."

She then approaches Dorgan and lays a gentle hand on his shoulder; "You are as gallant a warrior as I have ever met, my dear friend, but let us proceed with caution while we may. Conduct your search by all means - I would have all the knowledge that I may - but then let us return on the morrow with our full strength." She glances uneasily at that strangely dust-free floor; "There is clearly traffic through this place, and it seems frequent. Your suggestion of enquiries at the temple may bear fruit..."

Thinking back to her encounter of the previous day she takes a good, long look at the faces of the four statues. Anyone she recognises?

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:01 am

rleduc wrote:
"Sure enough, there's been many through here recently, or else a few fairly constant like. It will be harder for us to come back tomorrow if we're seen now. We have seen what we came to see. It seems best to go now."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:00 am

sulldawga wrote:
"The last time I stumbled into a room with statues in it, it was the home of my clan," Dorgan retorts.

The dwarf will step into the room, torch held high. Thinking it prudent, he will skirt around the edges of the chamber, avoiding the spaces where the statues' weapons might swing down if indeed they were part of a trap.

Walking to each of the exits from the antechamber, Dorgan will shine his torch down the hallways, without entering, seeing what he may.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:04 am

rleduc wrote:
Guntrum returns to those by the entryway.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:18 am

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond returns to the entrance to the crypts and waits outside for the others.

Return to “Hinterlands”