(028) Pillock's Farm

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:15 pm

(028) Pillock's Farm

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:The night passes.

Sometime shortly before dawn, Mondes tosses one dried pellet of sheep dung after another at Olaf's head until he awakes with a start.

"Oi!" mutters the unsavoury Halfling. "I thought you looked too comfortable," he says with a smirk.
Olaf grunts and rubs his hands over his eyes and stretches, "Thanks a lot, old friend." he whispers with more than a hint of sarcasm in his voice.
He then begins tossing pellets at Highbough...

The dawn is chilly, but the barn is reasonably warm. The animals are beginning to stir, while the rest of the company snooze on in the hayloft.

Olaf thinks there might be some sounds of activity coming from Pillock's farmhouse.

What now?
Olaf will move to a position where he can watch the door to the barn and keep watch. While he waits he will use clean hay to idly scrub on himself, his armor and his sword getting them as clean as he can without serious effort.

He doesn't distrust the Pilocks, but he doesn't trust them either.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:43 pm

(028) Pillock's Farm

waysoftheearth wrote:
"My pleasure," replies Mondes with a wicked grin as he slaps Desmond across the cheek. "Wake up lazy bones!"

By this time the animals and a few of the company are beginning to be rouse to the pre-dawn activity.

A sheep bleats nervously in the barn. Then another. And so on.

(Everyone is grumpily awakened with an hour less sleep than would have been nice).

Meanwhile, Olaf observes the beginning of a new day on the farmstead. One of the Pillock lads is out of the house washing in a basin of what must be stone cold water. That would be bracing indeed...

What to do?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 pm

(028) Pillock's Farm

tonneau wrote:
"Not quite the warm tub I was hoping for..." observes Gustave, watching the farmer douse himself in frigid water through a crack in the bark wall.

"Ah well, town awaits, chaps! Time to scrub up" he says, following Olaf's example in attempting to clean himself somewhat with clods of hay. He soon realises the futility of this, however, as the straw is nearly as dirty as he is, and gives up, scratching an insect out of his bears instead.

"I guess they will just have to take us as we come" he concludes.

"Now, I did promise our hosts some coin - shall we have a whip around?"
"I guess a few silver should cover it..."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:28 am

(028) Pillock's Farm

waysoftheearth wrote:
The spoils of your looting venture consist largely (most bulkily, at least) of numerous sacks of silver and copper coin. There were more of them to begin with, but some didn't make it this far.

You could probably impress the farm-folk most with quantity of coppers, while simultaneously lightening your load without depleting the value of your haul over much.

At any half way decent common room you might pay 2 or 3 coppers for a meal. Given the ten of you (eleven if we count the stalwart Guntram, who it seems has a mind to join you), 22 coppers should cover dinner, another 22 if you intend to break your fast at the Pillock's table, and another 11, say, for the use of their barn, means a sum of 55 coppers (or ~9 silver) would not be unreasonable.

There's every chance these bumpkins can't count past their own fingers and all!

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:15 am

(028) Pillock's Farm

heartless wrote:
"I have some coppers for the food! It was nice, but I think I could cook better if I had some fresh food. We should get some breakfast and supplies for the road and get going", says Wibert feeling much better.

OOC: How many hit points do we all have?

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 pm

(028) Pillock's Farm

waysoftheearth wrote:
heartless wrote: OOC: How many hit points do we all have?
The injured are indeed feeling much refreshed after a feed and a full night's rest.

(1d6; Olaf=3, Dieter=1, Gustave=4, Pelenwin=2, Victor=4, Koch=3; everyone else was either on full or only 1 from full hp already)

Thus, the current health check is;

Olaf 6/10,
Dieter 8/12,
Ulric 4/4,
Gustave 5/9,
Pelenwin 3/10,
Wibert 8/8 (these Halflings are a remarkable folk),
Highbough 4/4,
Desmond/Mondes 9/9,
Guntram 9/9 (welcome Guntram!),
Koch 9/11,
Victor 6/10.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:48 pm

(028) Pillock's Farm

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond does his best to make himself as presentable as possible. If there is a watering trough for the animals, he's even willing to use that to wash away dirt and grime from his face and hands.

He counts out 60 coppers from the sack he's carrying, and says, "Let's pay them with this."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:09 pm

(028) Pillock's Farm

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:"My pleasure," replies Mondes with a wicked grin as he slaps Desmond across the cheek. "Wake up lazy bones!"

By this time the animals and a few of the company are beginning to be rouse to the pre-dawn activity.

A sheep bleats nervously in the barn. Then another. And so on.

(Everyone is grumpily awakened with an hour less sleep than would have been nice).

Meanwhile, Olaf observes the beginning of a new day on the farmstead. One of the Pillock lads is out of the house washing in a basin of what must be stone cold water. That would be bracing indeed...

What to do?
Olaf goes out to where the young man is washing himself and says, "I could use a bit of cleaning, myself. Do, you mind if I have a go at that when you're finished?""

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:15 pm

(028) Pillock's Farm

eris wrote:
heartless wrote:"I have some coppers for the food! It was nice, but I think I could cook better if I had some fresh food. We should get some breakfast and supplies for the road and get going", says Wibert feeling much better.

OOC: How many hit points do we all have?
"No reason to be mean with our treasure. The more coppers we pay out here the lighter our load later, and besides they said Saxxon stole from them so, in a way, it is only fair that we pay them back handsomely!" Olaf will say, "Let us give them, oh, say, 60 coppers for what we've had so far. Let's break fast here as well and buy fresh food, if they will sell it, for the rest of our journey. Perhaps another 20, or so, coppers would cover that. How does that sound to everyone?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:52 pm

(028) Pillock's Farm

tonneau wrote:
"Sixty it is!" exclaims Gustave, a bit too loudly, "And we will see what they have for the trail."

"Now, shall we get a move on gentlemen? My bath awaits..."

With that he shoulders his pack and goes off to find Pa Pillock

Return to “Hinterlands”