(026) Happenstance in Ket

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:49 pm

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan turns to face the Deacon, trying to suppress the look of dismay on his face that the Man would stoop to eavesdropping.

"What say you, Father? Do you believe our tale?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:18 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Deacon seems a tad grumpy; perhaps due to his age?

"I know who you are, young miss," he Deacon state harshly, eyes on Josiane, "And your fable does not impress me overly. We are not entirely bereft of news, even out here in the Hinterlands,".

He coughs, then his gaze upon Dorgan.

"Holy water is not made lightly, master Dwarf," he grumbles, "Nor is it the work of a single Man. Thrice must the three prayers be uttered in unison by three Holy mediums to bless water."

"The blessing would take some hours," admits Denim.

The Deacon moves stiffly over to the alter an gazes forlornly at the simple silver bowl, and the small water it contains, wheezing grumpily.

"These hinterlands are a boorish parish," he gravels, "What meager civilities we have won dangle precariously, threatened at every turn by evil doers, greedy Men, wicked rumour and those who would spread them... all these things we face."

He pauses to cough violently before casting a penetrating eye over Josiane. His gaze lingers on her for a long while before he continues...

"If Holy water will placate you folk," he grumbles, "Then Denim here and his Brothers will perform the blessings,"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:37 am

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan opens his mouth to retort but wisely closes it before saying anything he might regret.

Instead, he merely nods when the deacon is finished and says, "Thank ye, Father."

He lets Josiane respond to the deacon as well, and then asks her, "Do ye think we should get some help for the battle tonight? Or are the four of us enough? Might not hurt to hire a mercenary or two..."

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:46 pm

doctorx wrote:
"My thanks to you for this gracious aid, Father Deacon," Josiane replies courteously; "And to you and your fellow Faithful, Brother Denim. We shall return for the water as soon as it can be readied."

She bows to both priests, kneels again before the Enigma, then turns away. Only now does a look of rejection and pain cloud her fair face momentarily, but it is swiftly hidden.

To Dorgan: "If the thing we saw is what I fear it to be we shall be hard-pressed indeed."

She holds up the Enigma of Thuul she wears about her neck. "I believe Thuul's symbol to have power against it, but these creatures are said to be cunning and we already know it has servants to call upon. If there is aid to be found we would do well to seek it out."

She darts an anxious look through the open door at the late afternoon sky.

"And swiftly."

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:22 pm

sulldawga wrote:
"I dunno much about this city. Just got here, ta be honest. What I do know is that mercs without jobs are slumming, so we should go where the beer is cheap ta find 'em."
(/b)
Dorgan shrugs his pack off his back.

"Mebbe it's time to count how much coin we got from that desk so we know what we got ta bargain with."
(/color)

Dorgan will examine the contents of the purse he took from the warehouse. He'll also take a moment to closely examine the dagger he found.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:24 pm

doctorx wrote:
Josiane waits to see how much coin is available to them.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:26 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Alas, coin is still in relatively scant supply.

Josiane has 10 cp in her purse, Percy has but 1 sp in his. But he does have Oscar's bejewelled dagger which must be worth a pretty penny. Mads has 9sp and 4cp of his own, plus the 19 sp that remains in the merchants' purse.

Dorgan's purse was pinched by filchers earlier in the day, but now he has the purse taken from Grumolg's office which contains 23 sp and 11 gp (worth a total of 23 + 66 = 89 sp). He also has Grumolg's letter opener and tobacco box.

Small funds indeed.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:30 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Dorgan knows of three taverns in Ket;

The Jolly Noose is a place frequented mainly by merchant Men.
The Executioner's Axe is frequented mainly by Snorks.
The Plough and Furrow is frequented mainly by farmers and the working class.

It's a reasonably guess that the cheapest drinking will be available at the latter.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:22 am

doctorx wrote:
Josiane examines the meager collection of coins. She seems relatively unconcerned at its paucity;"The Lady will provide, I doubt not," she says to her companions with a smile.

"Now then, friend Dorgan; where do you suggest we begin our search? Let us make use of what time we have."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:56 am

sulldawga wrote:
"I dunno too much about where ta go, but the place I seen that'd work is the Plough & Furrow. Mebbe we'll get lucky there."

Dorgan hefts his pack back on his shoulders and heads toward the street.

"C'mon, I'll show ya where it's at."

OOC: So is that letter-opener a proper weapon or just a gem-studded ornament?

Return to “Hinterlands”