(026) Happenstance in Ket

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:16 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
'Tis a fine, if chill, morning outside the gates of Ket when Percy (the Piercer) and Mads (the Enlightened) march up to join the short queue of farmers with carts of produce waiting to enter the township.

The ground is rutted and muddy from the traffic, but at least the gate watchmen are actually Men. Each had, along the road, heard a nasty rumour that Goblins were running the place these days.

By pure chance the two Men happen to arrive here, in the same place, at the same time. By what fortune is that, Mads wonders privately. Percy has a crossbow and shield slung over his shoulder. Mads wear a short sword at his belt. Both wear stout leather jerkins... no doubt to keep the chill off.

Before the pair have even spoken to one another, the cart ahead of them is shooed through the gates and the group of watchmen turn to them.

"Huntin' season is it?" remarks the first watchman as he squints at their weapons and their faces dubiously.

As neither Man seems in any humour to indulge him, then next watchman is already dismissing them with a wave of his arm, saying gruffly, "Go'an, git on with ya and keep yerselves outta trouble, hear?"

Mads and Percy pass under the gate together, and step onto the streets of Ket side by side...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Valandil wrote:
Percenier shivers because of the morning cold, and while adjusting the strap of his big rectangular board shield, he says to the other Man besides him:

"Salutations, fellow traveller. My name is.. Percenier, Percenier Veillantif, but most call me Percy. It seems that we are both foreigners in this lands. If that's the case, we could watch each other's back while we remain here...-now whispers- for I have heard here and there that goblins or some other demons were in charge of running this place.

Anyway, care to share your name, brother?
"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:02 pm

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Enlightened

Mads cocks an eyebrow and responds bristlelike. "I am called Mads."

They stroll through the streets a bit more, waving through small crowds and past the common folk. After a bit of silence, Mads speaks as though they were already in mid-conversation. "Percenier, is it? Percenier, goblins and demons and things that go bump in the night run everything. That Ket wears this openly is a bright thing indeed. I won't begrudge you your fears and accept the invitation for mutual security."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:51 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Only a very short walk from the gate, the pair find themselves in a market square where farming folk hawk herbs, vegetables, goats, chickens, eggs, cheese, milk and all manner of local produce.

Half a dozen or so establishments ring the market -- which is in fact closer to octagonal than it is to square -- including two taverns opposite one another. One is called The Jolly Noose, and the other The Executioner's Axe. Rather inappropriate names for drinking establishments it would seem...

The pair have scarcely a dozen coins between them.

---

There are four streets leading away form the market; Main street, Bow street, Flea street, and the gate way (heading back whence you came).

What to do, gentlemen?

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Our unlikely pair wander aimlessly about the market for a short time, evaluating the worth of the local produce. A hot meal, and perhaps a bath and a soft bed for the night is certainly not an unpleasant prospect... but these things all cost money.

Money is in short supply, as ever. Now, if only there was a way for a pair of capable Men to line their purses without attracting any unnecessary attention to themselves...?

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Valandil wrote:
"Say, Mads, would you like to go that tavern over there? -he points towards The Jolly Noose- I'm currently looking for profitable work, and I can't think of a better place to look around.

OOC: Sorry for the delay Ways, I've been sick for three days now (I still feel like crap, but at least my head isn't spinning around anymore [img]images/smiley/sad.png[/img]).

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:00 am

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Enlightened

"Hrm?" Mads wonders absentmindedly, taking in the sights of the quaint town. "Oh, well. I do seem to be short on coin." He mouths the words "Jolly Noose" and "Executioner's Axe" silently to himself. "A good hanging is quick and easy. A beheading can be sight if the axe is a few shades too dull. The 'Jolly Noose' it is, then, eh Percinter?"

He brushes past the man and makes his way to the tavern, whistling a recognizable tune slightly off key.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:35 am

Valandil wrote:
Percy follows Mads while nerviously saying:

"Percenier. Its Per-ce-nier. Percy, if thats easier."

As he walks towards the tavern, the crossbowman looks around constantly, half-expecting to see some green humanoid in the crowd, watching him.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:03 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The pair weave a path across the busy square and step up to The Jolly Noose.

It is still barely mid-morning; encouraging smells of warm drinks, hot stews with thick wedges of bread come to them as they step into a well lit common-room overlooking the market square. The perimeter of the room is fitted with half a dozen or so ample booths, while a clutter of round tables fill the floor between those and a long, straight bar.

There are only a few patrons here, perhaps eight all told, most of them seemingly merchants nibbling at their fare of choice as they discuss whatever business they have. Behind the bar a broad, bald headed Man with a damp towel over his shoulder is stacking used plates.

"Good morning, gentlemen," he says with a little care of the word gentlemen, "What can I get for you?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Valandil wrote:
Percenier tries to look as "tough" as possible, and says:

"Hello. Em, we are caravan guards, from the east, and we were told to wait for our, er, employer, here. I' don't want to have anything until he arrives, because... you know, to be polite. Can we ocuppy some of your chairs while we wait?" He says that last part while changing the position of his jeweled dagger on his belt(just to "impress" the tavern owner).

Percy looks at his comarade in a strange way, like asking for support in his lie.

Return to “Hinterlands”