(026) Happenstance in Ket

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:40 am

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan will quietly walk up to stand beside Josiane. He'll offer nothing but (silent) moral support, at least for the time being.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:57 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
"There are great evils underfoot everywhere," says Denim with a knowing half smile, "But tell me, who are thy boon companions, sword maiden?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:29 pm

doctorx wrote:
"This is Dorgan; a brave warrior and true," says Josiane, indicating the Dwarf as he moves to her side; "Yonder stand Percenier and Mads. The four of us have emerged out of darkness with a grim tale to tell. The living dead walk in the deep places below Ket - mindless abominations for the most part, torn from their sleep by foul magic, but..."

She trails off momentarily, her eyes cast down, the memory of burning eyes and a hissed threat looming once more in her memory, then she looks up and her grey eyes lock into Denim's hazel.

"Nosferatu, Brother. I believe I have laid eyes upon such a one. It is my fear a Vampire walks by night in Ket."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:45 am

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan stands beside Josiane, his wounds mute testimony to her claims of the dead rising.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:33 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
A grave frown tugs at the corners of Denim mouth. He takes a moment to evaluate the company, eyeing Dorgan's and Percy's recent wounds -- a few gashes and scratches they look now, that might have been given in any bar-room brawl.

He looks again at Josiane...

"Even if I did believe you," he says cautiously in a tone that hints he does not, "What do you suppose I could do about it? I am just one Man, after all."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:11 pm

doctorx wrote:
"I believe it has fallen to my companions and I to do something about it," says Josiane simply; "I pray to Almighty Thuul and Saint Tamarae that we prove equal to the task. If we should fall, I ask you to at least remember my words, so that the people of this town are forewarned of the danger they face."

A shadow of foreboding creeps across her face; "And if my - death should result in the spawning of anything... unclean, I ask that the Temple do what is necessary to end such a threat and grant my soul release."

"But let us pray that will not be the case," she continues briskly; "There is practical assistance that can be given if my understanding of the lore concerning these creatures is aright. Holy water is proof against their kind, I believe, as is the sign of the Enigma and the scent of garlic, and a wooden stake is required to put an end to them once and for all. If the temple can provide us with any of these things our task will be made easier, and we will of course make proper recompense for all aid given."

"One further thing we ask; the creature we saw promised to hunt us down come nightfall. That will soon be upon us. We ask for sanctuary within the holy precincts of the Temple for the night, or, if that cannot be provided, guidance as to a place where we might best seek shelter from that which besets us."

Her testimony completed, she stands, awaiting Denim's response.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:02 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
"All the Faithful are welcome to seek sanctuary here," says Denim, smiling and casting his arms wide to encompass the general temple, "But alas, this is not a marketplace. You will have to wait for the morrow and purchase your stake and garlic from vendors." he gives a small smile, "Though in truth I suspect your coin may be better saved."

He takes a couple of strides toward a silver bowl beside the alter. "As to Holy Water, we are blessed with this," he raises one edge of the foot wide silver dish so that the modicum of fluid there swishes about some. It is hardly enough to fill a flask, the company sees.

"The Deacon could be encouraged to bless other waters for a suitable alms," he explains further, "But let us not get carried away with diabolical fears. Come, let us pray that such fears are never realised."

He kneels before the alter, clasps his hands and bows his head, and begins to mumble a prayer...

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:24 am

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan leans in to whisper to Josiane.

"We're wasting our time with this guy. Let's find the deacon and see if we can get some more Holy Water."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:05 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
"I am the Deacon," says a stony voice, all of a sudden close behind Dorgan.

The Dwarf turns with a start to find another Man dressed in simple white robes standing close behind him. He is late middle aged, hunched and care worn. Once he might have been tall, but now he is nearly doubled over. His feet a bare on the cold stone, and his eyes are a piercing pale blue. Close by his chest he carries a well worn, weighty leather bound tome.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:05 pm

doctorx wrote:
Josiane starts at the sudden voice behind her but recovers quickly. "Father Deacon," she says, bowing low and making the appropriate signs of reverence and respect.

She suspects all that she has said has been overheard, but stands ready to repeat her tale if necessary.

Return to “Hinterlands”