(071) Beringar's Fate

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:44 am

Re: (071) Beringar's Fate

Dhren has now spent one whole day at the abbey, so he has six days of supplies remaining. He was also given 25gp and 85sp as a quarter share in the loot division, to add to his exisiting purse of 13sp. Total 123cn at 24cn per lb, makes 4 lb assuming he want to carry it all with him?

I assume the supra-necklace has been split up as part of the treasure division, and that Dorgan and Desmond each have a quarter piece of it weighing 6cn (one-quarter lb).

Dorgan is already poisoned. He will surely suffer further deprivation if he goes without food or water this day...

Desmond's load/movement rate? Hmm, I'll need to figure that out...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Merctime » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:54 am

"Dorgan, you haven't eaten, or at least, I haven't seen you eat. Do you require refreshments? I've a bit of food and water here. Have your fill, if you like." Dhren will say, as the group takes time to sort out what is being brought and what isn't.
Oh, geez... Sorry! I forgot he was given coin rewards! Lots has been going on as of late. Yes, it's only four pounds of coin, so he'll carry it. By my calculations, he's at the 6" movement mark carrying his pack; 12" if he drops it. He'll carry it all currently.

Dhren will offer Dorgan food/water for this day; let me state that IC-ly real fast. That will still put me safely at 5 days of supplies then :)

I'll update my sheet now, too, but I'd like to wait to update food supplies until after Dorgan states whether or not he'll take the elf up on some eats, if that's ok.

Also, should I assume that Josiane has custody of the steel mirror? I can't recall what it weighs, but I'm guessing 1 lb. I could make that quick adjustment, but it won't shift his movement currently.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:20 am

Merctime wrote:should I assume that Josiane has custody of the steel mirror? I can't recall what it weighs, but I'm guessing 1 lb.
It's your steel mirror, so you decide.
According to the Ref Rules a steel mirror weighs 1 lb.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by Merctime » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:34 am

I pm'd Doc about what he would like to see happen regarding the mirror.

For the time being, I'd like to assume Josiane has it, if she has need of it or could use it. I recall her asking, and dhren saying sure, but don't remember any mention of whether she took it/used it etc.

I'll use the strikeout for it on his sheet, and adjust weight.

Post by sully » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Merctime wrote:"Dorgan, you haven't eaten, or at least, I haven't seen you eat. Do you require refreshments? I've a bit of food and water here. Have your fill, if you like." Dhren will say, as the group takes time to sort out what is being brought and what isn't.
Dorgan replies, Thank you, Dhren. Ever since I lost all my waybread in the shadow pit, I've been depending on others fer food. Ach, and I don't think I'll be finding anything worth eating in this ogre cave.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Merctime » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:51 pm

"Think nothing of it, my good fellow. A stout fellow such as you should be well nourished for such a trip as we embark on! I'm looking forward to finding out what has happened to those who went there, as much as anyone. When do you think we will leave, Dorgan, Desmond?" Dhren says to them.

"Ah, Ashtad. It is well you will be coming with us, too. It's nice to meet you. I'm Dhren." the elf says to Ashtad, with a courteous bow and an offered handshake.
I've written and received a reply from Doctorx. Josiane has the mirror, and I've updated Dhren's list to show that. I'll subtract two days of supplies from Dhren's second day consumption to show that he gave Dorgan some. With the proceeding day, he is now down three days to a total of four. This will be reflected on his character sheet. I'll make a guess as to the weight of 4 days of food/water etc.

Oh, and it's nice to see Dorgan get some grub! :)

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:11 pm

I'd like to make sure Desmond isn't too encumbered before taking off. I suspect he has a significantly less amount of elven waybread rations than his inventory indicates, but I don't know how much has been used by the pilgrims. It's also not bad to see where he sits with the rest of his gear, as well; he has a lot of stuff in his pack, but it's all small stuff, for the most part.

Once his encumbrance level is known, Desmond is ready to go. If we want to stick together in a group, that's fine with me. If we would rather have a scout, then Desmond can get some general directions from Ashtad and move up ahead of the rest of the group and scout the way.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by sully » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:18 pm

ehiker133 wrote:If we would rather have a scout, then Desmond can get some general directions from Ashtad and move up ahead of the rest of the group and scout the way.
I think we should expect trouble. That being said, I'd just as soon not have Desmond scout too far ahead. Far enough that we're not surprised but not so far that we add Des to the ranks of the Lost.

Also, I changed my mind. I'd like to take that piece of the necklace that Dorgan earned. Part of me is worried that this won't be a quick day trip and if it turns out that Dorgan has to set out for the Elven Fastness without returning to the Abbey first, I'd like him to have something to barter with in return for food and an antidote.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:54 am

I don't think I've added up anyone's load since we switched over to the DD rules (requires another big update to my spreadsheet), but as far as Demond's inventory goes it looks like this:

Halfling-sized Leather Armour 15lb
Short Sword 3lb
Silver Dagger 2lb
Normal Daggers (2) 4lb
Vintage Foreign Crossbow 10lb
5 bolts 1lb
Leather Backpack (up to 30lb)
- Tinderbox -
- Whetstone -
- silver arrow -
- Rufus' Boon: Footlong pipe, empty leather pouch, and compact "tinder box" 1lb
- Lockpick Tools 1lb
- 6 20' lengths of very thin, almost invisible wire 6lb
- (12) small brass pulleys/wheels 2lb
- 13 odd foreign looking coins with holes in the middle (of these, 5 appear to be of nickel and 8 of brass) -
- Bottle of acid marked "XXXXX" 2lb
- Bottle of poison 2lb
Water Skin 5lb
Elven Waybread (16 days' worth; 1/2 weight of regular rations) : 8lb
Standard Clothes (breeches, shirt) -
Fishing Kit (12 hooks and line in a leather pouch) -
Sling -
(1) torch, half-used 1lb

Total appears to be about 63 lb, plus treasure. Loot weighs:

24 coins of any type make 1lb.
Gems weigh approximately 1 coin per 100 sp value (or part thereof).
Jewelry weighs approximately 1 coin per 150 sp value (or part thereof).

Since Desmond is neutral, let's assume he allowed the lawful types to eagerly share their Elvish waybread with the pilgrims first. So he has his full quota less whatever he has eaten himself.

Desmond's normal strength allows him to carry 75/100/150/225 lb at move rates 9/7/6/5".

It's tempting that halfling-sized PCs should carry 80% of this amount, but the house rules now skew the distribution of possible Halfling strength scores already...

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Desmond takes all of his belongings with him, including his recent jewelry share. Before he leaves, however, he takes 8 days worth of elven waybread and gives it to Josiane to distribute among the pilgrims.

Then he cinches his pack for travel, picks up his crossbow, and heads off to the ogre lair with Dorgan, Dhren, and Ashtad. He agrees with Dorgan and suggests they stick to a 2x2 formation when possible, with Ashtad (who knows where the small group is going) and Desmond up front and Dorgan and Dhren in the back.

"Keep an eye out," he warns as they make their way down the trail. "We had a large pack of wolves follow us to the abbey when we came back through the hills. And it looked like young Engvongr met an untimely death with wolves on our first trip to the abbey, so they surely have a taste for blood. It may very well be the answer to what happened to Beringar and Valorn."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”