(070) Dnulnefluv


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Posts: 496

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

"He's never jumped so high before!" Olaf exclaims, "I do feel lighter here. I wonder how high I can jump, unaided by magic?"

As the skiff comes overhead, Olaf will jump upward to see if he can grab its rail, or any other part of it. If he can, he'll try to pull himself up and join Dieter aboard her.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 2/7, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:29 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Dieter drops like a thunderbolt from the turbulent sky to land with a great thud upon the deck, causing the whole craft to buckle momentarily under him.

At the same moment Olaf springs up like a grasshopper from below, casting sand into the blustery wind as he reaches for the skiff. It's an impossible standing leap that must be almost 20 yards, and he valiantly clasps a rail along the bottom of the skiff | Why not?? |

On deck Dieter rises from a kneeling position unhurt to a steeply veering deck. The vainglorious sword is in his white-knuckled right hand as he turns toward the craft's pilots.

The dog-face men wear an alien-looking, green-black carapace armor, and carry jagged, black polearms. They seem unperturbed by the angle of the deck, barking something cruel before most of them rush to attack, while the helmsman fights to right the unbalanced craft before it crashes!
At six to one odds they figure Dieter hasn't got a chance. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

Combat will follow. Neither side has surprise. Any last moment orders?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 593

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

With a snarl, Dieter wades in to the fray.
No specific orders other than "kill them a lot."
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]

Posts: 496

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Olaf is amazed that he got high enough to grab the bottom rail.

Nothing might come of it, but let's see if Olaf hanging from the bottom can cause the skiff some damage...if he can't climb up the side! ;)

He looks for a way to haul himself up the side of the skiff from the bottom to the deck, and if he finds one he tries to do just that. If he makes it to the deck, he'll join Dieter in combating the crew.

If he can't find a way to climb up the side of the skiff, he will try to move along the bottom rail toward any sort of rudder apparatus and cut any ropes or cables loose to make the craft less controllable/stable.

If nothing else works, he'll swing his body from side to side trying to tip the skiff over and/or crash it into the side of the crater.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 2/7, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 134

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Location: OH

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Torben

Torben will stay on the ground - perhaps jumping to cover more ground - and try to keep the skiff in his sights in the event of a landing or crash.
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:43 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Three dog-men quickly close ranks, forming a wall in front of him that occupies the full width of the narrow deck. Two more a behind them, and a sixth seems preoccupied with saving the craft.

Dieter meets them head on, but finds they have the advantage of their pole weapons. The howling dog-men hack at him as he closes and deal blows that would smite a lesser man! The two rearward dog-men spring 10 yards into the air, somersaulting right over Dieter's head as he smashes into the spear wall cutting and hewing with the whiteline sword that weighs nothing in his fist. He returns savage slashes, driving the dog-men down in a fury of blood-splatter; two of them drop before the leapers land behind him, and then slide sideways off the angled deck to drop over the side...

Immediately after the two land behind Dieter, Olaf hauls himself up onto the deck behind them and sees his comrade is surrounded.

Meanwhile, below, Torben sees the pair of dog-man bodies slide off the deck as he pursues the skiff, which--with its airspeed--is easily pulling away and seems to be regaining a steady trajectory...
The deck is about 10ft wide and perhaps 30ft long, so there is little room for manoeuvrings and combat is joined!

The dog-men have the advantage of longer weapons so gain the initiative.

Three of them are attacking vs AC 3; 3d20=19,17,7. Two hits; 2d6=10hp.

Dieter has five attacks vs normals; 5d20=13,7,19,4,1. Two hits; 2d6=11hp.

Ref rolls some hit points which indicate that Dieter has slain two in the front rank!

Dieter F5; HD 5; hp=22 12
Olaf F4; HD 4; hp=19
Torben F3; HD 3; hp=13

What for your next turn?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 496

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:08 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

With no shout of warning, Olaf falls upon the two Dogmen from behind trying to put them down quickly.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 2/7, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 593

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Dieter continues his assault. (Once inside their weapon reach, it should be easier...)
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 134

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Location: OH

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:59 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

waysoftheearth wrote:Meanwhile, below, Torben sees the pair of dog-man bodies slide off the deck as he pursues the skiff, which--with its airspeed--is easily pulling away and seems to be regaining a steady trajectory...


Torben

Once it becomes apparent that he is in danger of losing the skiff and his party, Torben will attempt a fantastical running leap towards the skiff...
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:12 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

The dogmen balk at the slaughter, and attack turns to flight!

The dog-warrior right infront of Dieter twists and scurries on the slanting deck, and somehow eludes Dieter's searching blade to fling itself sideways off the deck before he can cleave its skull.

Behind him, the pair of dogmen scamper sideways just as Olaf is upon them; the young hero slashes one of them in the back but it's not enough to prevent the pair of curls from throwing themselves overboard. At the bow end--30ft ahead of Dieter's position--the helmsman sees that it's all over, and he too abandons his post and leaps over the edge!

Suddenly crew-less, the skiff whines onward and downward, straining against intolerable forces with its deck banking at a crazy angle. It is un-helmed and barely clearing some of the dune tops; surely an impact with something is imminent?!

Behind the skiff the dogmen drop through the gale winds to tumble down the dunes amid a wash of sand. No sooner have they arrested their various tumbles than Torben lands between them with an impressive thud, kicking up another almighty a shower of sand from his 60 yard leap!
The dog-men have suffered one-third numerical losses, so the ref check's their morale: 2d6=3. Even with their stout morale adjustment it's a flee result.

Initiative is checked: 1d6; Dieter=5, Olaf=5, dogmen=5. The ref reads equal initiative as being time for a single blow rather than a full turn of melee.

Dieter gets an unanswered shot in the back 1d20=5 (@+3 would hit AC9); miss.

Oalf also gets an unanswered shot in the back: 1d20=12 (@+2 would hit AC3); hit for 1d6=3 hp damage.

The skiff carries Dieter and Olaf farther yet; Torban can continue to deal with the dogmen next turn.

What are your orders?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software