(070) Dnulnefluv


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

waysoftheearth wrote:The red dunes are, in the main part, packed hard so Dieter and Olaf have little trouble finding a route to a defensible looking rock at the summit of the nearest ridge, and although they sweat with the effort of hiking in the heat they find their step curiously quick and light.

As they approach the summit they crouch low so as not to be seen, and peer into the wider world beyond the rock. Less than a quarter mile off they see a daunting black structure; an impossible iron wall that must be 40ft high if it is ten--and it is. It runs left and right into the desert that goes on forever, it seems; heat shimmering off the distant red hard pan.

But most impressive--most terrifying--is a truly colossal black fortress hulking over the wall. If the wall is 40ft high, then the vast iron structure--an assembly of huge black slabs of iron--that overlooks it must be 200ft tall and at least twice as wide. And, Olaf points along the direction of the wall... there are more of them. A few miles, perhaps, farther along the wall in either direction, another similar-sized structure can dimly be seen.

"I'd guess that if we're to find Gustave here, he'll be in there." Olaf gestures toward the nearest fortress.

The young warrior looks around, "We need to find shelter where the magic users can rest and memorize their spells, and we need to find water before too much longer."

Sighing he adds to Dieter, "And by the gods, we need to find a way to get back home from this evil place. We're going to need the elvin kind to do that, I think. So, we have to protect them from anything and everything...including themselves."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:38 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Olaf has to raise his voice to be heard over the lashing wind.

The pair of fighters on the dune-ridge note that the terrain is still punctured with arrows and broken spears for as far as they can see... and here and there the sun-bleached and sand-blasted remains of half buried warriors protrude from the surface. There must be thousands of dead.

Down on the baking, windswept plain between them and the daunting fortress, they spot a couple of scattered figures picking among the detritus. The nearest of these might be a hundred yards off... the blustery wind making missile fire extremely dubious at this kind of range...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 665

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Dieter crouches down to present a minimal profile, pulling Olaf down as well. "They don't seem to have seen us."

He examines them closely. Are they human?

Also, which way is the wind blowing? Toward us, toward them, or perpendicular?
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1501

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:28 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Wen looks at the fortress and then towards the others on the horizon. He sighs "74, now it becomes clear. This is but one of the many. Let us try and hide and renew our spells. If there is a way back perhaps we can find in the fortress. We had thought to come here earlier to search for items of power on the battlefield, we should take the opportunity now. I will memorize at least 1 spell that reveals the aura of magic. Dieter perhaps you can test your new sword again, I sense it was trying to empathetically tell you something in the Ring Room."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

coffee wrote:Dieter crouches down to present a minimal profile, pulling Olaf down as well. "They don't seem to have seen us."

"Hope not." Olaf says scrunching down, "I'm hoping we can rest here for a bit to let the magic users recharge their spells."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:53 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Dieter and Olaf lie flat, peering over the dune-ridge from behind a few low rocks--alien things, a purple-brown ore all jagged with broken bubbles, perhaps some kind of instantly cooled lava?--the wind is blowing a gale right into their faces, so they have to almost shout, and to squint and shield their eyes from the fierce sand.

The figures on the plain below don't appear to have noticed them... nor do they appear to be human. They seem taller, perhaps, with long skinny legs that bend backward not forward, and a shoulder and head heavy torso, all hunched over. It's hard to see detail in the heat and wind, and with the distance... but they seem to have furry hides. They certainly carry shields and spears... which they use to poke, lazily, through the detritus. Perhaps they are looking for something? Or are scavengers on these plains? Impossible to tell for here...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:05 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Meanwhile, Wen, Highbough, and Torben remain in the hollow by the Ring discussing their options...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1040

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Ignoring Torben completely, Highbough converses with Wen in Elvish. "I have a spell in one of my books that I can use to scan for intelligent creatures and sense their surface thoughts. What useful magic can you offer, young one?"
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:49 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Wen and Highbough will need to find shelter from this infernal wind for about an hour to study their spells.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 665

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Is there any shelter about? Dieter will keep an eye on the wolf people (for that is what he believes them to be) and ask Olaf to look around for a sheltered spot where we might hole up for a while and plan.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software