(070) Dnulnefluv


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1501

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

ooc: I'm out of spells
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 961

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:47 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

"Good point, Wen," ponders Highbough. "Dieter, Olaf, Torben: please make camp and keep guard so Wen and I can rest and memorize more spells. We should gather our strength before we assault the Fortress."

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

coffee wrote:
mushgnome wrote:"Excellent, it works!" exclaims Highbough. "The voyage was one-way as I suspected... I hope you all said goodbye to the others? Now, there should be a fortress around here somewhere. Let's organize our search so we don't get separated." The old Elf would look for any high ground or landmarks he can climb to have a look-see of this alien landscape.


"One-way?" Dieter snarls. "Don't you think you should have made that clear before you brought us here? As I recall, the plan was for us to have a rest and for you lot to get your spells for the day, and then do something rash."

He shakes his head, eyes scanning the distance. "Elves!"

Once he spots a defensible looking place in the surrounding high ground, he'll confer with Olaf on heading there.

Olaf nods at Dieter's suggestion, "That's as good a place as I see and should give us a vantage of what is up there. The way back *is* elsewhere, so we need to go elsewhere."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

mushgnome wrote:"Good point, Wen," ponders Highbough. "Dieter, Olaf, Torben: please make camp and keep guard so Wen and I can rest and memorize more spells. We should gather our strength before we assault the Fortress."

Olaf grumbles to himself, "Old elf should have thought of that before he brought us here.", but he does agree that getting into a defensible position and surveying things is the first thing to do so he moves up the dune into a hollow of sand that provides cover and protection from the sides, but it high enough so he can look over the top of the dune and see what is out there.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16441

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:34 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Dieter and Olaf pick a likely direction and head off into the howling wind, their cloaks flapping like wings.

Wen, Highbough, and Torben await their return by the Ring. It is hot and dry and the colour of the light is too red. And their water skins are none too heavy...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16441

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:49 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

The red dunes are, in the main part, packed hard so Dieter and Olaf have little trouble finding a route to a defensible looking rock at the summit of the nearest ridge, and although they sweat with the effort of hiking in the heat they find their step curiously quick and light.

As they approach the summit they crouch low so as not to be seen, and peer into the wider world beyond the rock. Less than a quarter mile off they see a daunting black structure; an impossible iron wall that must be 40ft high if it is ten--and it is. It runs left and right into the desert that goes on forever, it seems; heat shimmering off the distant red hard pan.

But most impressive--most terrifying--is a truly colossal black fortress hulking over the wall. If the wall is 40ft high, then the vast iron structure--an assembly of huge black slabs of iron--that overlooks it must be 200ft tall and at least twice as wide. And, Olaf points along the direction of the wall... there are more of them. A few miles, perhaps, farther along the wall in either direction, another similar-sized structure can dimly be seen.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 961

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

While the humans are gone, Highbough confides in Wen, "I do not like it here one bit. How do we get home?"
User avatar

Posts: 653

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Apparently I just thought it and didn't say it: Dieter will have his sword sheathed and his bow out as he goes up the slope. (And I assume Olaf will, as well.)
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16441

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:29 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

coffee wrote:OOC: Is this still the same day we fought the Tar Fiend and lost Gustave?


Yes, it was the afternoon of that same day when (collective) you activated the Ring.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:56 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

coffee wrote:Apparently I just thought it and didn't say it: Dieter will have his sword sheathed and his bow out as he goes up the slope. (And I assume Olaf will, as well.)

You assume correctly, Sir! Olaf has his bow in hand.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software