(070) Dnulnefluv

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by mushgnome » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Highbough will stare into the sky and try to figure out where he is. For example, does the sun look like our sun? Are there any visible moons or stars? etc.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Eris » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:44 pm

coffee wrote:Is there any shelter about? Dieter will keep an eye on the wolf people (for that is what he believes them to be) and ask Olaf to look around for a sheltered spot where we might hole up for a while and plan.
Olaf will do so, but he thinks staying in the crater might be the best place to be for right now...and sheltered enough so Highbough and Wen can to their preparations.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Wen ponder the question of magick in this strange land. "I think it wise if I were to memorize spells on understanding and detection I doubt my small powers are going to sway the course of battle. Best that I be ready with bow and arrow, but should we need to detect magic or decipher arcane scripts I shall be ready."

ooc: Wen takes Detect Magic and Read Magic
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by coffee » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Eris wrote:
coffee wrote:Is there any shelter about? Dieter will keep an eye on the wolf people (for that is what he believes them to be) and ask Olaf to look around for a sheltered spot where we might hole up for a while and plan.
Olaf will do so, but he thinks staying in the crater might be the best place to be for right now...and sheltered enough so Highbough and Wen can to their preparations.
"Yeah, I guess you're right," Dieter replies. "You stick close to them and keep your eyes open. I'll keep a watch on our friends out there." He gestures toward the wolf people.

Then he glances up at the sun. Any idea if it has moved at all? Is it getting lighter, darker, or just hovering around midday? Dieter will assume the day here is 24 hours, like at home, because so far he has no real reason to believe otherwise.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:16 pm

There is no obvious shelter from the rampant wind; nor the heat. The best shelter from the elements would doubtless be inside one of those fortresses!

The sun seems strangely distant and dim, which might explain why the light is so red. But despite this, and it's position being roughly about mid-morning, the air is still hot and dry.

It doesn't seem like Wen and Highbough will be able to find the solace they need to memorise spells unless someone is able to create a viable windbreak for them... at least.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:27 pm

"Right," says Highbough, "now that we've unlocked the Ring's secret, let's duck back to the Abbey, memorize our spells, gather the others, and return in force. Which one of you remembered to bring a mirror for the return trip?"
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by verhaden » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:15 pm

Torben

Torben's ears perk up as Highbough finally says something he can understand...

'Does it have to be a mirror or could it be anything that gives a reflection? Like a polished blade?' He pauses and thinks for a moment, looking around. 'I've heard you can find stones in the desert that can be used like mirrors.'

Post by Eris » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:17 pm

mushgnome wrote:"Right," says Highbough, "now that we've unlocked the Ring's secret, let's duck back to the Abbey, memorize our spells, gather the others, and return in force. Which one of you remembered to bring a mirror for the return trip?"
"You can get us back?" Olaf asks, and adds, "Let's not leave Dieter behind."

Olaf scrambles up to where Dieter is watching the creatures on the plain and yells into his ear, "Highbough says he can get us back to the Abbey. If it's like before we better be close when he does it or we'll be left behind."

Olaf then moves back down into the crater and stands next to the elf.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:23 pm

"I will feel more comfortable exploring this strange world with a full aresenal of magic, and with Dorgan, Josiane, Ulric, Desmond, and the others at our side," says Highbough. "If everyone is in agreement, then gather round and let's try to return to the Abbey."

If all are in agreement, then Highbough will try using the reflective blade of his silver Elfish dagger as a mirror, and repeat the exact steps he used to activate the portal the first time. Or if anyone wants to discuss this decision further, then let's discuss...

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:46 pm

Wen would laugh. "I thought we were summoning our courage to attack yon fortress. I suppose studying back at the abbey is better then here, but if the blade is consumed like the mirror it will be a shame. In fact we are going to quickly run out of means of transportation. Also it worries me that the denizens of that place have such easy access to the abbey."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”