(070) Dnulnefluv


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:23 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

The skiff is already a distant thing in the blasting wind; 200 or more yards nearer to the Alcazar. It's difficult for Dieter and Olaf--squinting into the wind--to see whether Olaf is aboard at all. But it is apparent that the air-ship has righted itself and is turning about, toward them...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 446

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Olaf continues to maneuver the skiff back toward Dieter and Torban. He will try to reduce the boat's airspeed and look for a way to make it go lower for a landing. Maybe there is a lever or second wheel that turns up and down rather than left and right...
Olaf's goal is to land the skiff near Dieter and Torban...hopefully land, not crash. :)
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 1/7, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:50 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Olaf soon gets a feel for the skiff's helm; the great wheel is 3ft broad and requires much turning for a relatively small change in the angle the skiff's three banks of sails. Each of the main vertical mast, and the two masts that lie almost horizontal (one reaching forward to either side of the skiff) carry a bank of kite-sails. Altering the angle at which the wind deflects off these walls of canvas and impels the boat at a counter-angle.

There are also two hand-over-hand cranks; a stride to either side of the helm. These require two hands to turn and would ideally be operated by other crew, but at a pinch Olaf can employ one of the three mechanisms at a time. The crank to the right controls the pitch of the skiff; angling its bow up into a climb or down into a dive. The crank to the left controls the yaw of the skiff; angling the bow left or right without changing the direction of travel.

So now he unsteadily guides the skiff in a huge arc to circle, he presumes, the location he last saw saw Dieter and Torben jumping among the red dunes--a few hundred yards back. Soon the sharp wind is buffeting across his left shoulder and the Alcazar is behind him, and within another minute he finds he is forced to tack the skiff hard to the left and hard to the right alternatively to come back into the fierce wind.

It becomes slow going; Olaf feels he could almost jump off and run quicker, but when he spots Dieter and Torben again in the dunes he realises this isn't so...
It seems plausible that Dieter and Torben could jump up onto the skiff if it made a low, slow pass. Landing it might prove... tricky?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 564

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:30 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Dieter is willing to try to jump for it.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 134

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Location: OH

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:34 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Torben

Torben looks back at Dieter and nods.
Why not?
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:16 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

We'll just wait to see whether Olaf still wants to attempt a landing, or merely a low pass...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 446

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:02 pm

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Olaf jumps back and forth between the controls as he tries to slow and lower the boat. He is aiming to land it in what looks like a sandy area just beyond where Dieter and Torban are standing.

Olaf, not knowing that Dieter and Torban are thinking of jumping, is still going to attempt a landing. Heaven help us all!


"I hope I don't kill myself trying to land this thing!" Olaf mutters under his breath.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 1/7, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:53 am

Re: (070) Dnulnefluv

Landing the skiff would normally require three crew who know what they're doing to work together. Olaf has just barely come to terms with the helm, and is but one man. The ref gives him a fool's hope of pulling off a miracle landing: 2d6=5, but Alas! The Gods turn a blind eye...

Olaf, Dieter, and Torben please prepare yourselves for a grand entrance into thread 73 :)

Please do not post until I write the skiff into play...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Previous

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software