(069) Pilgrims & Practicalities


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

The soldiers listen to Dorgan skeptically; they haven't yet seen Morgan or the pilgrims who are 30-40yds back beyond the rise...

"Where are your pilgrims, Son Of Dorgamond?" asks the Man riding a bay mare, skimming the plain absently.
The other tisks before remaking from the back of his piebald: "Often are the lame and homeless needy, but the Blessing of Thuul shall not fall wantonly upon them." Dorgan can't figure if the man is talking to him or stating a prayer or verse.

Meanwhile, Morgan creeps toward the crest of the rise, keeping low so that he is not seen... he doesn't recognise either of the two riders. They wear livery of the Temple, not of the City Watch, but there is no temple fortress in Ket... so it follows that these men must be from elsewhere. But where...? Dorgan is thinking much the same thing.

Beyond them, the rear part of the column is coming to a very unprofessional halt. The front third of the force, maybe three-score men, are orderly and well formed. Behind them is a black and white, horse-drawn carriage. Then behind that, the bulk of the force is clearly less disciplined...

"Stay well clear until this lot have fed and passed by, Master Dwarf," concludes the first, "And don't try tagging along if you know what's good for you; we're heading to war!"
Ref rolls a reaction check; 2d6=5, a marginally negative result...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1162

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:27 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Dorgan observes the force and scratches his chin beneath his beard.

You're going ta Ket, I take it? Is this all the men you got? You had better take me to your commander. I 'spect you're not really aware of what you're up against.

The dwarf turns around.

Morgan! Bring up the pilgrims, if ya please.

Turning back to the soldiers, Go on now. Tell him Dorgan the Rock wants to give him a scouting report. And find me that priest while yer at it.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Posts: 43

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:13 am

Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:40 am

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Morgan gestures to the pilgrims with him.

"Come along, aid is at hand it seems," he tells them then marches the group forward.
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:05 am

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

"If you know something of Ket, Master Tharock," snorts the first man, rain dripping off the rim of his helm and hem of his cloak, "you'd best share it now. Le Commissionaire cannot be interrupted for every sodden refugee's roadside tale so we'll decide whether your story is worthy or idle. Now let us have it, and be hasty about it! I don't want to miss my own tea on account of dwarfish reluctance."

Meanwhile Morgan and the gaggle of a dozen muddy and weary pilgrims trudge cautiously through the drizzle and wet ground, soon coming into the view of the riders.

"Well, well," comments the second man--as wet as the first-- "It seems Master Tharock does shepherd a muddy rabble, at least. Who are these hapless refugees, in fact, and how come it that they follow after a dwarf?"
Alas, a reaction result of 5 leaves no room for a re-roll (as would a result of 6-8), so our riders maintain their negative disposition for now...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1162

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Dorgan will briefly relate the story of the party making the deal with the Mother Superior in Ket to check out the monastery, leading to the battle with the wolfmen, leading to them occupying the monastery, leading to them being responsible for this party from Maine, leading to Dorgan being poisoned and having to take everyone with him to see the elves.

He will also note that he's seen giants in Ket, not to mention a large force of goblins and wolf riders. He won't say out loud that the expeditionary force he sees before him is inadequate to retake Ket but he wants them to have the clearest view possible of the fight they have on their hands.

He'll then ask the scouts to speak with the pilgrims if they need any confirmation of his story.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Posts: 43

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:13 am

Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Morgan bristles at the insult offered by the rider, and mutters an unpleasant (and most likely painful) suggestion for the rider to follow in the near future.
Probably not the wisest thing to do, but exhaustion and a low WIS score don't make a good combination...
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:11 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Dorgan begins to relate his lengthy tale, standing in the rain. The pair of guardsmen seem initially as though they might listen, but before Dorgan has genuinely gotten underway Morgan issues his poignant statement, and the outriders are furious!

"Hold your foul tongue, rustic!" seethes the first man, "Lest it be cut from your mouth!". The second man only spits emphatically at the ground and glares at Morgan a long moment, before the pair haul their mounts around and gallop back toward the main column, clods of wet earth flinging back in Dorgan's ashen face...

Once the riders have passed from earshot, one of the wet and weary pilgrims begin to sing a melancholy prayer, as water drips from her muddy, tangled hair...
Fatal T wrote:Probably not the wisest thing to do, but exhaustion and a low WIS score don't make a good combination...

Hmm... well Morgan's 7 charisma is just good enough to not carry a -1 reaction adjustment.

Still, his direct insult warrants a further reaction check, so: 2d6=4 which is a very negative reaction (one pip away from attacking!)

Meanwhile, Dorgan's tale would have been detailed and factual enough to also warrant a reaction check, which (just for the hell of it) would have scored him a... 2d6=10, positive reaction. As it is, the guards ride off before Dorgan is even a tenth of the way thru it.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1162

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Dorgan sighs a long sigh and then signals for the group to resume their movement. He'll look to pass the column in the front, assuming they are still stationary. Perhaps someone in charge will see their ragged band and ask questions. If not, the elves await.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

The rain continues to patter down. The weary pilgrims sigh, and prepare themselves to move again...
"Now, there's a sight..." mutter a few of them, gazing down upon the halted column, screened by small groups of milling riders...
"Seems, they didn't make Ket any sooner than we did afterall... worse luck to them!"

The pilgrims seem uncharacteristly reluctant to move off... perhaps they are as weary as Dorgan himself feels?
The ref decides a test of loyalty will be required.

Will the pilgrims desire to rejoin the larger/safer column of the Mission from which they formerly parted? Or will they stick with Dorgan and Morgan, their recent protectors?

First the ref must determine their loyalty to both the Mission and to the players. 3d6=? and 3d6=?

Now a reaction check to Dorgan's proposal 2d6=6 modified by ? is an undecided result (leaving the possibility of another roll next turn).
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1162

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:34 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Dorgan, seeing the hesitation in the eyes of the pilgrims, holds the group up.

Ya know these soldiers? This is the group you were travelling with? Do you know who the leaders are? I need ta talk ta them but them scouts wasn't having any of it.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software