(069) Pilgrims & Practicalities


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1078

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 am

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Dorgan replies, Tell yer leaders we have news 'a one formerly of yer party, by the name 'a Valorn. Also tell 'em that we have seen ta the protection of this group of pilgrims who traveled from Maine with yer column but now require more security 'n we can provide. I would release them inta your care. Unless, of course, ya believe one dwarf and one Man are better suited ta defending their honor than yer holy knights...

As fer myself and my companion Morgan, we are traveling to the wood on the other side of yer troops. We are merely going around.
[f=4]Dorgan the Dwarf Armiger (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 5, hp 24/24, FC Hero, L) mail+sh+helm, axe
The Herald the Brother (MV 9", AC 5/5, HD 1, hp -2/5, FC Man, L) mail+helm, torch[/f]

Posts: 43

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:13 am

Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post Fri May 22, 2015 10:44 am

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Morgan feels his ire perk up at the rider's words but remembers how his earlier outburst was received and keeps his mouth shut. Instead he turns to he pilgrims with him and offers reassurances that their ordeal will soon be ending.
User avatar

Posts: 16004

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

"I said beat it, braggart!" growls the zealous youngster, bristling at Dorgan's seeming indifference to the threat he poses.

"Steady on," warns another rider--possibly a more rational sort--to the displeasure of the hot head. "There were a smith called after Valorn with us recently," he recalls, "If you have worthy news of his happenstance, you'd best share it. Come with me!" the rider extends a mailed glove down to Dorgan, as if to haul if up into the saddle...
It might have been more profitable to mention Helmut the Templar who was on this Mission proper, and likely even known to these very Men. Valorn the dwarf was a lowly smith mending buckles and horseshoes for the column, stationed among the cooks and porters. The rabble of pilgrims who followed after the Mission did so according to their own fanaticism, and were barely recognized by the Mission, let alone under their protection.

Ever optimistic, however, the ref throws a reaction check to determine whether any of these troops will respond to this new information: 2d6=9; a marginally positive reaction. It seems one of them, at least, does remember the smith after all...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1078

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Sun May 24, 2015 2:31 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Dorgan reaches out and takes the rider's hand.

Morgan, you're in charge. Mebbe see if the pilgrims remember anyone from the column and can get some food and water while we're waiting. I'll be back as soon as I can.
[f=4]Dorgan the Dwarf Armiger (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 5, hp 24/24, FC Hero, L) mail+sh+helm, axe
The Herald the Brother (MV 9", AC 5/5, HD 1, hp -2/5, FC Man, L) mail+helm, torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16004

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 24, 2015 10:21 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

The reasonable rider hoists Dorgan up into the saddle, and immediatley turns his horse about to gallop back down-slope toward the head of the colum while Morgan and the pilgrims are left underguard on the perimeter, in the persistent drizzle...

Soon enough Dorgan is brought to the chief body of the column, an impressive force of grim-faced templars; two score horses, Dorgan estimates, and twice as many Men in the livery of Thuul, matching that of the outriders, over coats of mail. They are a well-armed force, by any measure, and look to Dorgan's eye to be seasoned campaigners. Ahead is an armoured carriage drawn by two horses that must surely be the commander's repose.

His escort dismounts efficiently, then assists Dorgan to do the same (it's a long way down for a Dwarf!), before handing his mount over to a squire. However, before any progress is made toward the carriage, a trio of grey-whiskered knights put aside their private discussion to stride up: "So this is our stubbourn dwarf?" asks the first.
"The same." confirms Dorgan's escort, "He says he has news."
"Well let's hear it," gravels the senior knight, sternly. "Do you have a name, Master Dwarf?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 43

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:13 am

Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post Sun May 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Morgan nods his assent to Dorgan's order and turns to the pilgrims as the dwarf departs.

Do any among you see familiar faces here? Let us see if perhaps you have some friends here who can share some of their supplies with us. I will take a few with me, and the rest of you remain here while we look for help.
User avatar

Posts: 1078

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Mon May 25, 2015 1:54 am

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Addressing these knights, and all others within earshot, I am Dorgan, son of Dorgamond, known ta some as The Rock. I have for some time now been a member of a group of adventurers hailing from the city of Ket. You mebbe have heard of our greatest fighters, Dieter Ogreslayer, Olaf Sharp-Eyes, Desmond Double-Trouble, UIric Firestarter, and Josiane the Saint (and follower of Thuul).

We came ta the wilderness on a mission from the Mother Superior of the Cloister of Thuul in Ket. We needed her ta heal a friend wounded by foul undead. In return, we agreed ta go ta the Abbey nearby, which is the sister monastery of the Cloister in town, and clear it of bandits who had sacked the place.

I have three important things ta tell you, and a favor ta ask.

One, the Abbey was claimed not by some scrub bandits but by werewolves. Most of my friends are still there, fighting 'em. A Templar who I believe is one of your group, Helmut, fights with us as well. The reason why I have these pilgrims with me is because the Abbey was not safe for them while we're scrapping with 'em.

Two, I am sad ta report your smith Valorn was laid low by ogres who surprised him along the path to the Abbey. It's possible he lives still, but I 'spect he is slain. We tried ta avenge him but our strength is split between the werewolves and the other dangers of the Hinterlands, and we couldn't confirm his death.

Three, I assume you march on Ket. Ya oughta know that Ket has fallen ta the forces of evil. Orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, and more than one giant. I ain't kidding, I seen 'em with my own eyes. I don't doubt the skill of yer warriors but you oughta know what yer gettin' inta before you start climbing the walls of Ket.

My favor to ask is this: I'm poisoned and I expect to die this very day. The only reason I'm alive is because Josiane slowed the venom in my veins but it ain't long for me. If any of your priests have the ability ta neutralize it, I'd ask you let me speak with 'em. I'll pay for it. Otherwise, I need to visit the elves in the forest and see if their mages have the cure I need.

That's all I gotta say.


Sorry to leave out the names of some other heroes within our crew but I chose the ones most likely to be known in Maine (and maybe left out the elves on purpose, to be on the safe side). Plus my speech is long enough as it is.
[f=4]Dorgan the Dwarf Armiger (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 5, hp 24/24, FC Hero, L) mail+sh+helm, axe
The Herald the Brother (MV 9", AC 5/5, HD 1, hp -2/5, FC Man, L) mail+helm, torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16004

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:25 am

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

"That's a weighty tale, master Dwarf." says the senior knight. "There is an element of truth in it, I'm sure. But giants and werewolves and elves are rarely all in one place at one time! We'd be wise to be cautious, don't you think?"

"Poisoned, you say?" inquires a second Knight of the trio with curious half-smile. "It happens I carry this here panacea," he says, extracting an Enigma-stoppered phial from a belt satchel. All eyes are intently on Dorgan. "What would a sick dwarf pay for it?"
Reaction check 2d6=6, possibly adjusted by +2 owing to the forthright honesty shared between lawfuls, makes it an 8. Still an uncertain result, leaving the door open for another check...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1078

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

To the senior knight, Dorgan says, Ya need not worry about elves nor werewolves where yer going. It's the giants and their goblin army that'll concern ya in Ket.

To the second knight, Dorgan says, I have this piece of jewelry I had planned ta offer ta the elves as payment. If your pan-ah-see-ah works the same as an antidote, it's yours. If not, I suppose Thuul will judge ya after I'm dead. I'd ask only that ya consider the pilgrims. My friend can't care for them alone in this wilderness once I'm gone.

Dorgan will display his portion of the 7,000 gp necklace he got as his share of the treasure back at the Abbey.


Will Dorgan know right away if the knight's antidote works?
[f=4]Dorgan the Dwarf Armiger (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 5, hp 24/24, FC Hero, L) mail+sh+helm, axe
The Herald the Brother (MV 9", AC 5/5, HD 1, hp -2/5, FC Man, L) mail+helm, torch[/f]

Posts: 43

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:13 am

Location: Adelaide, Australia

Post Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:51 am

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Morgan will offer whatever coin he has left to obtain the antidote. It's not much, but he hopes the gesture counts.
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software