(069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Merctime wrote:
flightcommander wrote:In any event, Armando is game to join a crew to investigate the whereabouts of Valorn and Beringar — he's also curious about how long we should "expect" them to have been gone. Perhaps Desmond, Ashtad, and Armando should follow up?
If this should be the case, above, perhaps Dhren should stay with the pilgrims to help provide security for them.

He's still pretty keen on searching for any more secret doors in the abbey (the library was mentioned?) and also finding some way to effectively map it.

Burnt-out torch pegs can provide charcoal marks to roughly 'draw' or 'write' with; He just needs some advice as to a map surface. Old clothing from the library, torn so they are flat cloth and laid upon a table? Perhaps as he paces it out, he can call off dimensions and have someone with burnt torch and the cloth to draw those dimensions?
Obviously the doppelganger uses vent ducts to move about certain rooms (laundry room, probably the infirmary, maybe the library?). We should direct efforts to trapping it in one place. First order of business should be to quell this creature's ability to breathe, then we can worry about mapping and secret passages.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by flightcommander » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:57 pm

"When the time comes for map-making," Armando notes to Dhren, "I do have some writing implements with me. Very fine, too!

"Desmond," he continues, turning to the hobbit, "do erm either of you suppose the doppelganger Nizzib would leave the Abbey proper? If it happened to observe our two compatriots leaving the compound on their way to the Ogre's lair, I fear it would see an opportunity to waylay them, assume the appearance of one or the other, and return with a story to explain away the missing partner's absence.

"I assume, of course, the presence of a singular doppelganger! A double doppelganger would be a calamity."
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Post by Condorcet » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:01 pm

"This night delivers us woe" grunts Helmut, "Perhaps we should hunt this doppelganger first - that will give the dwarf and the other one time to return if they are merely late."

"When I have its head on a stick, we can search for them with without a knife at our backs."

Post by Merctime » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Armando's words send a chill down Dhren's spine. He visibly shudders. Affirmation of the severity of this situation by Helmut only adds to his apprehension.

"I also agree that this strange beast must be dealt with, as Desmond and Helmut say. If it possess the powers you all say it does, and I've no reason to believe it does not, then I truly fear for our fellows off on mission. Having heard you all speak, I will stand off of attempting to map this area for the time being. And, Armando, I will for certain ask you for supplies to do so when it is safe and proper. So, what of it now? Do we arrange a search party, and trail the two out-of-abbey? Whom do we think will be best to leave behind as an area guard?" the elf finishes with.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:08 am

flightcommander wrote:as he's unable to employ a crossbow himself — unless there's a houserule I'm unaware of, Ways
See the combat and magic thread in the house rules. Anyone can use any weapon as a normal man.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by flightcommander » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:13 am

OOC :: Doh! I went looking but missed that. In that case let's say Armando retrieves the foreign crossbow and two bolts from Dorgan — never know when a ranged weapon will come in handy! Apologies for the logistical confusion, folks. ::
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:26 am

Desmond shrugs. "Didn't spend much time chatting with him. Mostly I just ran."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:29 am

sully wrote:Dorgan will ask Ashtad how far away the ogre bridge is. He wonders aloud if they could make it there and back before dark.
They should have had time to get there by noon, and to return before dusk. They must have run into trouble... or else run off with the loot?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:32 am

flightcommander wrote:Hopefully we can assume Armando grabbed his lantern from the Pit Room in addition to some loot ... and if someone has some lantern oil to spare, he'd appreciate it.
Yes.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:43 am

doctorx wrote:Josiane is happy to examine the black book, but is more cautious with the dusty scroll. She'd sooner someone skilled in the sorcerous Arts give it the once-over first to look for any sign of curses or other arcane traps.
Aside from identifying objects by sight and/or study (which wizards are well able to do!) it is clerics, not magi, who have the divinely given gift of sensing what may be cursed.

doctorx wrote:She's making an effort to learn the names of all of the latter by the way - to make them feel wanted and respected.

("I just wish they'd stop calling me 'Saint'..." (Sigh... :( )
You should make this apparent as part of your orders for tomorrow.

Return to “Hinterlands”