(069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by sully » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

I am in agreement that:
  • Ulric should examine the potion and see if he can determine what it does. Dorgan is willing to take a sip and suffer any potential ill effects.
  • Josiane should examine the scroll and the black book. If Josiane can't figure out either, we should put Ulric to good use here while we can.
  • We should have an active character or two hold onto the gems and jewels. We can hide the coins somewhere around the monastery. I am ok with the idea of putting them in the Reliquary but if I remember correctly, there was crap smeared across the secret door entrance. If it remains hidden, I don't want to mess with that just to hide the coins. We should be able to find another suitable hiding place.
  • Definitely should send another party, in force, to look for Valorn and Beringar. Not looking too hard though. Let's just grab the coins and head back.
  • I am unclear: are there areas of the basement we haven't explored? Are there places the Ring Team may have gone, other than through the portal?
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by sully » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:09 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:Excluding treasure, my calculations have your new XP totals as follows:

Dorgan: 12,833 (needs 16k for level 5)
Ways, does this include XP bonuses for attributes?
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:14 pm

sully wrote: [*]I am unclear: are there areas of the basement we haven't explored? Are there places the Ring Team may have gone, other than through the portal?[/list]
As far as Desmond knows, all areas in the abbey have been explored. But that doesn't mean he didn't miss a room or two somewhere on the main level. Surely the wolf priests had some supplies here and didn't plan on always traveling through the ring every time they wanted to eat something or change clothes? But maybe they did.

The only levels lower than the main level are: the laundry room, the shadow pit, and parts of the library. The library wasn't really ever fully explored and we haven't been in it the second round, so... a) might not hurt to explore it better - if we're going to find any secret rooms on the main level, surely they have to be in the library! - and b) it might be that this is where the doppleganger has set up his lair, so we could kill two birds with one stone, as it were.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by sully » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:17 pm

I think we owe it to the pilgrims, now that it looks like the entire party is headed through the ring, to find and kill that doppelganger before we leave.

If we search and map the entire complex in the process, so much the better.

Dorgan needs a new backpack anyway, so finding a storage room would be nice.

Post by sully » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Last post for now and I'll stop spamming this thread:

While we have all the gold and silver coins gathered in one place, Dorgan will pull out the Marrowstone and use its power to sense precious metals. He wants to see if there are any other sources of loot that they haven't found.

Post by Merctime » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:34 pm

Dhren's head is afire with the dutiful, focused activities of his new fellows. The elf wears a look of embarrassment on his face. "If only I'd been here sooner, I'd have had more time with you all to suffer previous travails, and I would know far better on how to assist you. It does please my heart, in the very least, that you all have have received a much-earned restful night."

Listening to Desmond and Dorgan speak about all the particulars, Dhren can only nod and try to take in as much as he can regarding all the details that they speak upon. When secret doors are mentioned, the newcomer pipes up with...

"If it please you, fellows, I'd love a chance to assist in the searching of them. If we were able to find something to scrawl a map with, even if it's the burnt end of a torch and some hide, I'd love to help to map out our environs, also. Alas, I prepared myself poorly, and did not bring quill nor parchment. Do either of you know of anything we may contrive to produce a map with?"

Upon discussion of the treasure, Dhren is hesitant. "I know none of you know me, yet, and I have yet to validate myself here. But i'll assist in carrying anything that will help, with no claim to it myself. I do believe that the more we all carry, the lighter we all are, and thus the more effective in combat and maneuvers. I'll leave it for you to decide, and just end it with that I believe I shall prove myself to not be treacherous." He will do his best to smile sincerely to each fellow here and lightly bow. He is serious.

"I am at a loss. I want to help so terribly, but lack the experiences that you all have had. I know not of all the previous activities. Please, Sirs and Ladies, direct me as to the best way that I might provide assistance in these dire times."

Post by flightcommander » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:37 pm

(Do note that Armando already gave Dorgan the crossbow and brace of bolts he retrieved from the trapped lobby, as he's unable to employ a crossbow himself — unless there's a houserule I'm unaware of, Ways! So Dorgan now has 7 bolts, and two crossbows, if only we had some duct tape heh!)

Hopefully we can assume Armando grabbed his lantern from the Pit Room in addition to some loot ... and if someone has some lantern oil to spare, he'd appreciate it.

In any event, Armando is game to join a crew to investigate the whereabouts of Valorn and Beringar — he's also curious about how long we should "expect" them to have been gone. Perhaps Desmond, Ashtad, and Armando should follow up?

But "cleaning up" here in the Abbey is also a good idea. Now I'm wondering if Nizzib got to one or both of the ogre team ... it would be good to find Nizzib or his lair here.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:50 pm

flightcommander wrote: So Dorgan now has 7 bolts, and two crossbows
In that case, Desmond only gives Dorgan 4 bolts, so they both have 6. ;)
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by doctorx » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:50 pm

Josiane is happy to examine the black book, but is more cautious with the dusty scroll. She'd sooner someone skilled in the sorcerous Arts give it the once-over first to look for any sign of curses or other arcane traps. She also wants a closer look at those two gems we found a while back to see if there's more to them than simply their beauty...

After that, she's all for finding Valorn and Beringar - providing the pilgrims are not left unprotected.

She's making an effort to learn the names of all of the latter by the way - to make them feel wanted and respected.

("I just wish they'd stop calling me 'Saint'..." (Sigh... :( )

Post by Merctime » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:16 pm

flightcommander wrote:In any event, Armando is game to join a crew to investigate the whereabouts of Valorn and Beringar — he's also curious about how long we should "expect" them to have been gone. Perhaps Desmond, Ashtad, and Armando should follow up?
If this should be the case, above, perhaps Dhren should stay with the pilgrims to help provide security for them.

He's still pretty keen on searching for any more secret doors in the abbey (the library was mentioned?) and also finding some way to effectively map it.

Burnt-out torch pegs can provide charcoal marks to roughly 'draw' or 'write' with; He just needs some advice as to a map surface. Old clothing from the library, torn so they are flat cloth and laid upon a table? Perhaps as he paces it out, he can call off dimensions and have someone with burnt torch and the cloth to draw those dimensions?

Return to “Hinterlands”