(069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:25 am

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Nobody here has actually cashed in any XP yet folks.

You still have to divide the loot, and then make it through a period of "town time" comprising at least one untroubled night.

Okay, so (thanks sully and ehiker) it seems the loot on offer is presently as follows:

12 vintage crossbows (@10XP for fighter types only, max one each)
Silver bowl from hidden Reliquary (100 XP)
Silver faerie cage, 9" square (50 XP)
Three sparkling gems in a small black box lined with purple velvet (3x 100 XP)
10 lb sack of 240sp (240 XP)
10 lb sack of 240sp (240 XP)
10 lb sack of 92 sp and 148cp and (117 XP)
A enchanted sword (last seen in Dieter's possession--but he is absent)
A magical ring (presently on Ulric's right index finger)
Black leather-bound book penned in Empyrean (aka Lawful) containing a Ward Against Undead (wards are usable by any class) but otherwise unread.

You have the additional options, in town time, of collecting the remaining 30lb of coin from the nearby Ogre lair and, if you care to use the ward, you could also fetch the treasure from the shadow pit without undue risk. I would, of course, roll for an encounter check to determine whether the activity resulted in an "adventure"; if none were forthcoming it would be auto-success and you'd add the loot to your pile for division...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 am

In order to expedite this process, might I suggest that you (collectively, or via a single caller) assign PCs to some/none/all of these activities:

A a team (including at least one of Helmut, Ashtad, Valorn) to return to the Ogre cave and haul back the remaining loot.

B a team to manage the Pilgrims and logistics of getting the house in order.

C a team to return to the pit and use the ward to safely recover the loot there.

D patrol/watch duty?

E anything else?

?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by Merctime » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:30 pm

| Off to work right now, but want to chime in that Dhren is eager to be involved in any way that he may be of service. Double-watch duty, cleaning, hauling bags of loot from one place to the next, battling the forces of darkness. He's available to assist in any capacity :) I'll post more when I get back from work today, but please feel free to utilize him if you need a 'warm body' during my work day... My orders for him are, "Dhren will promptly help any party member with any task needed. If a fight breaks out, he will fight bravely, but not suicidally, from the flanks and attempt to protect pilgrims and magic-users first." |

Post by sully » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:35 pm

| Ways, has Dorgan recovered his strength yet? |
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:24 pm

sully wrote:| Ways, has Dorgan recovered his strength yet? |
One point per hour, so he will be mostly good by morning, and retuned to normal during the next day.

Post by Condorcet » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:02 pm

| Helmut has no interest in returning to the ogre den, though he is most keen to see these 'shadows' of which the others speak |

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:09 am

If you hunt shadows, may need more than normal weapons. Don't know if it is necessary, but possible.

Also, note the remaining shadows are the strongest there were, due to dice mechanics.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:12 am

ehiker133 wrote:If you hunt shadows, may need more than normal weapons. Don't know if it is necessary, but possible.

Also, note the remaining shadows are the strongest there were, due to dice mechanics.
Oh, and hit points don't matter. They drain STR.

That said, Desmond will join the Shadow Team.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Condorcet » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:21 am

ehiker133 wrote:If you hunt shadows, may need more than normal weapons. Don't know if it is necessary, but possible.

| Helmet is interested in 'seeing' them for educational purposes, not fighting them. He would be quite happy for instance to see a simultaneous demonstration of the destructive abilities of the one they call 'firestarter' |

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:12 am

ehiker133 wrote:Oh, and hit points don't matter. They drain STR.
I think that was my bad. Shadows should probably drain strength AND cause damage too, otherwise they seem a bit feeble compared to, say, 2 HD ghouls.

Edit: AD&D Monster Manual confirms that Shadows deal damage as well as drain strength. That may have made the previous battle a wee bit more exciting, but I don't think either of Dieter or Dorgan would have been slain; both had good hit points. Especially Dorgan who took more hits.

Return to “Hinterlands”