(069) Pilgrims & Practicalities


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:59 am

(069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Josiane, Helmut, Dorgan, and Hiridren follow their fellows through the dog-leg passages of the Basal, and up the narrow, cylindrical stair that climbs into the disheveled chapel. From there they depart via the main double-door which takes them outside into the courtyard--where they find it is now late afternoon.

They tramp across the broad, razed courtyard toward the buildings opposite where they can already see signs of activity. It appears that Ulric, Beringar, and Valorn have already put the dozen or so weary pilgrims to work clearing out the refectory; there is an ominous pile of broken furniture and rubbish amassing right outside the door.

Ulric is seated inside the refectory, calmly smoking a pipe and skimming through an ominous tome entitled The Abridged Verses of the Underworld while the others labour. The Firestarter has a stern reputation and makes for a frightening figure--he has the pilgrims intimidated into obedience.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1162

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:08 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Dorgan will observe for a moment or two, and then suggest to Josiane that they take half of the pilgrims and have a go at cleaning up the dorms.

Let 'em know that a clean dorm will mean a good night's rest and a fresh start to the next day. We can tackle the laundry later.

| I think Josiane is AWOL but if we can assume Dorgan's orders go through her so that the pilgrims are in a better mood about taking orders, we can move things along.

As always, anyone else feel free to jump in with other suggestions. I'm taking charge only to move the game along, not because I think I have all the answers. |
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 144

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:51 am

Location: near Sacramento, California

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:29 pm

Hiridhren hustles back to the group after stopping momentarily in the ring room to provide Dieter a torch, and get it lit so those folks have some light. When he gets there, he does his best to conceal his lineage for the time being with the pilgrims present. He keeps the hood of his cloak closely about his head, hopefully keeping the tell-tale sight of his ears from plain view.

"Dorgan, Josiane... If it please you, I'd like to have a look around the perimeter of this area. Might be well for us to know if any strange nook has been left unfound."

After this, before starting to work with the rest of the group, the Elf will move about the area and conduct secret door searches.

| I'm happy you're taking charge, Sully, personally. Nice for someone to do that! I'm a bit new, and lacking over-all specific campaign knowledge to be doing that. |
User avatar

Posts: 1162

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Re:

Merctime wrote:"Dorgan, Josiane... If it please you, I'd like to have a look around the perimeter of this area. Might be well for us to know if any strange nook has been left unfound."

After this, before starting to work with the rest of the group, the Elf will move about the area and conduct secret door searches.

Dorgan

Fine by me, just take Beringar or Valorn with you. No one walks alone.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 144

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:51 am

Location: near Sacramento, California

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Re: Re:

sully wrote:Fine by me, just take Beringar or Valorn with you. No one walks alone.


Dhren gets a look on his face as if he's just realized the severity of a situation he's not yet been exposed too... That sort of look like one's face lights up with understanding. "...Yes, Yes, Dorgan... I believe I should. If one of those should accompany me, I'd be appreciative."

The elf awaits one of those people to come with him, before leaving sight of the group to go searching for doors.

Posts: 117

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 am

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:17 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Helmut observes the pilgrims with a frown, quietly impressed by their industriousness where before there was little but indolence. He makes the link between their behaviour and the ominous presence of the one called 'the firestarter' and makes a mental note not to upset the dour wizard.

Seeing there is litle to be done in the kitchens, he decides to follow Dorgan to the dorms. The gruff dwarf seems to speak for the Lady Josiane afterall, as if they share some bond, he considers with not a little envy.

Posts: 416

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:11 pm

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Josiane will set about organising the pilgrims as Dorgan suggests, giving clear (but friendly) instructions that they work in pairs at all times and that no-one wanders off alone.

She will then set her own hand to the labours with a cheerful air, assisting and encouraging where she can, that smile of hers always at the ready.

Truth to tell, she rather enjoys the simple pleasures of tasks like this. It reminds her of happier times squiring her foster-father before she achieved 'sainthood..' (Inwardly she blanches at the very thought of this vaguely blasphemous idea... :( )

(O.O.C: Should FINALLY get my home back over the course of the weekend, at which time life goes back to normal and I should be able to post regularly again. Apologies for the silences. I've been climbing walls here at times! :x :) )
User avatar

Posts: 144

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:51 am

Location: near Sacramento, California

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:17 am

sully wrote:Fine by me, just take Beringar or Valorn with you. No one walks alone.


| Is it OK to assume one or both of these fellows moves out with Dhren to conduct his secret door search? |
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:20 am

Re:

Merctime wrote:| Is it OK to assume one or both of these fellows moves out with Dhren to conduct his secret door search? |

Beringar is an accommodating sort, and has no problem taking a break from his labors to accompany Dhren. Valorn, on the other hand, is a proud and gruff dwarfish sort, and sees no reason why he should play second fiddle to an elf. He remains with the others.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 144

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:51 am

Location: near Sacramento, California

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:27 am

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

| Thanks, Ways :) |

Stepping out along the interior of the abbey, Hiridhren walks alongside Beringar as he paces out the interior walls of the place. He's keeping count, to judge distance, and also scanning the stonework of the walls and floors for any signs of hidden doors.

Every 10' or so he will tap lightly at the stone wall, and the floor just under, with the hilt of his sword. Not to make noise, but to hear if any sounds hollow. Note that if this begins to make a racket of any sort detectable at a moderate distance, such as an echo, he will immediately stop.

He will also stop if this begins to take so much time that the others are done working, or there is some sort of commotion that draws his attention.
Next

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software