(067) Back Passages

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by mushgnome » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:59 pm

Re: (067) Back Passages

"A dumbwaiter shaft would be a perfect corridor for a sneak like Nizzib to move about the Abbey undetected," muses Highbough.
Last edited by mushgnome on Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:14 pm

| Apologies, Condorcet, missed this post earlier... |

While surveying the room and eyeing the lift with a mind for orientation, Desmond turns to Helmut and replies, "To answer your question earlier, young Helmut, you might know the man better by his moniker... THE Gustave? No? How about... The Guv? No?" He shrugs, "Well, maybe that's just in certain circles. In any case, he is most certainly a great warrior. His skill with a sword is matched only by his skill with words!" He chuckles, "And I dare say he would appreciate that play on the latter! He loves his pastries and he loves his women. But, most importantly, he is a great friend."

"What happened to him? He tried to enter the abbey courtyard when it was shrouded in an evil mist and crawling with werewolves. When the mist cleared, he was gone. There were no signs to mark his passing, so we can only assume he was taken and yet lives. I do not like the visions the Lady Josiane and Ulrich have described with their use of that crystal ball. I'm afraid for my friend and what they may have done to him. Hopefully Josiane can set things straight with that big stick of hers."

Mondes, unusually quiet as of late, spits on the ground and mumbles, "Bleedin' werewolves..."

"Well said, Mond," Desmond continues. "As for the earlier comment?" He shrugs. "You'd think we'd get used to the initial response to seeing a two-headed bloke of short stature. I guess it won't ever be easy, though. Think nothing of it, my pious friend."

Out of curiosity, Desmond grabs a paddle and stirs up the contents of each of the large kettles to see if there is anything of note in the bottom of them. His nose is itching, for some reason, like he's missed something...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by verhaden » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Torben

'From the sound of it, those pilgrims could use a warm fire and clean clothes.' He sniffs around the room and wrinkles his nose. 'So could we.'

He looks over to the laundry boxes. 'Perhaps the real habits are down here?'

Post by Merctime » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:13 pm

"Stairs down to only a wash-room?" Says Dhren. "Unless there were other exits in the room above, I should think a dumbwaiter as the only other way out seems a bit preposterous. What say you fellows, shall we look to see if there be any cleverly hidden exits out of here?"

Dhren will move a bit out of line, and scan the walls of this area for any slight cracks, signs of wear, or other thing that might hold a hidden portal or exit area. If the party is in a hurry, however, he will only scan nearby areas for secret doors.

Post by Eris » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:59 pm

Merctime wrote:"Stairs down to only a wash-room?" Says Dhren. "Unless there were other exits in the room above, I should think a dumbwaiter as the only other way out seems a bit preposterous. What say you fellows, shall we look to see if there be any cleverly hidden exits out of here?"

Dhren will move a bit out of line, and scan the walls of this area for any slight cracks, signs of wear, or other thing that might hold a hidden portal or exit area. If the party is in a hurry, however, he will only scan nearby areas for secret doors.
"Give it a good look. ", says Olaf, " I'll bet we are missing something down here."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by Condorcet » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:49 am

"My thanks, Desmond", says Helmut, "and to you Mondes," gifting each with a short bow.

"It seems the hand of Thuul would have me aid you in your quest, as indeed you have already done much in His service in helping to banish the dark cloud over this place."

He raises the lantern higher to survey the faces of all the party, "I have seen the result of your earlier efforts in the courtyard above, but what of those that remain? There is at least one doppleganger according to the old elf, but how many more, and of what ilk?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:31 am

The company proper begins searching the walls, stirring the pots, and generally riffling through the place...

The great wash cauldrons are long cold, but the grey, soapy bilge therein still contains... fabrics--presumably sheets and garment--as well as a layer of nasty scum that has settled on the surface. It seems whatever task was in progress was left half undone many days ago.

Meanwhile, Desmond/Mondes judges--by thumb in the air and squint reckoning--that the miniature elevator shaft must probably emerge somewhere near the main entry to the chapel? Looking up the shaft, he can see a slit of light about 20-30ft above.

The others check the shelves and every brick of the place, locating enough dusty bed linen and white robes to... run an abbey. Dorgan goes about stoically, kicking the footings and tapping bricks here and there with the haft of his axe, and soon enough he thinks he finds a hollow section of wall, which he traces back to what looks like some kind of vent, partially concealed behind a shelf and a pile of tin buckets. There's a wire grate over the vent, almost 2ft wide, but something has burst through it, leaving a neat hole in the wall at about knee level...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by coffee » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:25 pm

Dieter maintains a watch while the others search. He's primarily watching for signs of trouble from without, but also appraising his comrades just in case another doppelganger has managed to get into our midst.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Highbough says, "Good find, Dorgan! It pays to have friends low to the ground. When I saw Nizzib, it came from the general direction of the main entry. Maybe after I saw the shadow-creature, it retreated down that laundry chute and through this vent to its lair. Desmond, remind me where you saw your dopple-ganger? Did it appear to you as a shadow creature with a strong aversion to light, or was that an amplification of some aspect of my own nature, all part of the doppel?"
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Merctime » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:51 pm

"Excellent work, Dorgan! Trust to you for locating abnormalities in stonework. Shall we unearth this passage and see where it takes us?" Asks Dhren of the group. He will move to the flank of that door, sword drawn, in anticipation of the groups decision.

"Perhaps we can yet find the answers we all seek; And your fellow, Gustave."

Return to “Hinterlands”