(066) Vulfenlund

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:29 am

Re: (066) Vulfenlund

Torben and Ashtad take the circular stair from the chapel to arrive in the Basal. From there they follow the illumination of torch light down the passage, and around the bend to meet Olaf at the entry of the Ring Room.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Wen would point out what he sees. "Old Elvish, this is not seen much in the wide world. It is the language of the old scholars and learned by scribes to translate the most ancient of records. Odd that it would be here. I can read these. Here it seems to be a calendar." Wen would pause, "I must get closer to translate it all do you think it is safe Desmond?"

ooc: Yes Wen speaks Old Elvish
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:50 pm

Desmond attempts to suppress a chuckle when the young elf asks him about caution.

"Ah, sure, safe enough, I think, as long as you don't step between the stones, maybe?"

When they move closer, Desmond again tries a few pointed sniffs to see if he can determine the faint smell in the air.

*Snnniiiiiiiiifffffff*

"It's maybe..." he pauses, a quizzical look on his face. "Dry? Like... the dessert? An arid smell, if you will. Dusty and... warm. Not what you'd expect to find in the darkest underground recess of an Abbey that was built on top of some ancient elvish pre-griffon form of transportation."

| Closer? |
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:48 am

ehiker133 wrote:"It's maybe..." he pauses, a quizzical look on his face. "Dry? Like... the dessert? An arid smell, if you will. Dusty and... warm.

| Closer? |
It could be that...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:03 am

mgtremaine wrote:Wen would point out what he sees. "Old Elvish, this is not seen much in the wide world. It is the language of the old scholars and learned by scribes to translate the most ancient of records. Odd that it would be here. I can read these. Here it seems to be a calendar." Wen would pause, "I must get closer to translate it all do you think it is safe Desmond?"

ooc: Yes Wen speaks Old Elvish
Wen notes with interest that the stone of the runic ring differs markedly from that of the surroundings--it is smoother, greener,and flecked with intricacies of gold and amber veins. In actuality, the "ring" appears to be two rings--one fitted snuggly inside the other--the join between them barley noticeable. Then, moving around it somewhat to view the structure from the side, it becomes clear that the ring is in fact a shallow cylinder; a "tube" about 3ft deep. There are a series of "rungs" sung into the outside face of it, spaced about a foot apart...

| Old Elvish is so ancient that there are few--none?--living who actually speak it. It is an extinct language; an academic curiosity for scholars and sages... |

Post by ehiker133 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:33 am

Desmond examines the face side of the rings. He takes note of which of the two rings the Old Elvish runes are on and then examines the other ring, looking for any kind of markings or indentations that might stand out.

"You think maybe this thing can take you to... More than one place? Like... 20 places, depending on where you have the symbols?"
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by heartless » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:21 am

"Desmond, I know a little Elvish from my upbringing with the wood Elves, let me have a try at reading", insists Ashtad eager to help.
She carefully moved to the ring near Wen to examine the writings for any understanding.
Ashtad also sniffs the air to see if she recognised the odor.
[Hinderlands]Kianna the Elf Sister-Fighter-Medium, Elf Maiden, Fighter/MU/Cleric 1/1/1
[Hinterlands-Netherworld] Ashtad Engel (the flaming arrow), Human Maiden, Marksman 2
[Moria] Lady Éohild (Noble of Rohan), Human Women, Fighter 3

Post by ehiker133 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:24 pm

"To read ancient elvish, I think we need an ancient elf..." Desmond mutters, glancing about for Highbough.

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:21 pm

ooc: ok speak is too strong a word, I have Old Elvish as a language on my char sheet. :)

Wen continues to inspect the arcane runes. "It seems a portal of some sort see the rungs... Perhaps we should check the obvious." Wen take another torch out, light it, and throw it into the cylinder.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:01 pm

mgtremaine wrote:ooc: ok speak is too strong a word, I have Old Elvish as a language on my char sheet. :)

Wen continues to inspect the arcane runes. "It seems a portal of some sort see the rungs... Perhaps we should check the obvious." Wen take another torch out, light it, and throw it into the cylinder.
| Honestly, I was just playing it out in character; I believe WOTE already said something about anyone knowing anything about Old Elvish being extremely rare.

Also... They're your torches, so you can do what you like with them, but we should probably consider light sources a premium until we come up with some permanent ones (Continual Light on some objects by Josiane?). I don't look at any other inventory sheets, but I don't recall anyone picking any up recently. Maybe just a rock or some rubble from the other room might serve the same purpose... |

Return to “Hinterlands”