(065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by Condorcet » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

doctorx wrote:
"I shall accompany you, Lord Helmut," says Josiane, stepping forward to salute her fellow Templar and flashing her pretty smile; "Josiane the Guided, Knight in the service of Thuul and Saint Tamarae. My sword is at your service and that of your flock. Let us make all haste to bring them to safety."

"I am honoured, Josiane the
...", suddenly Helmut's eyes grow wide and he gasps, "The Vagabond Knight!"

He drops to on knee and bows his head.

"Indeed, I am most honoured my Lady, " he says, palpable reverence in his voice, "Even in Maine we have heard of the exploits of The Vagabond Knight, also known as The Saint, and those who travel with her."

Raising his eyes to again take in the gathered group while remaining on one knee, he appraises them anew, "I am honoured to share the company of any companions of this Lady and count you all friends."

Post by coffee » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:45 am

"Right!" Dieter barks, "you go round up your little lambs and we'll go find Gustave. Meet back here."

And with that, he makes ready, first by re-coiling his loyal rope and checking over his grappling hook. (It always gets tangled when someone else uses it.)
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Josiane, Dorgan, and Helmut

So it is then that Josiane, Dorgan, and Helmut leave the chapel (via the door the main company have recently entered) and head back toward the lobby and the front door...

The long passages are narrow and austere. They pass an unexplored stair down (on their left) and a closed door (on their right) before coming into the lobby. Here there are all manner of crossbows suspended on wires, or on the floor, and generally pointing in the direction of the front door, which is ajar. It is clear that someone intended to trap the front door in a most lethal fashion. It is also clear that someone has since tampered with the crossbows; many of them seem disarmed, and a weight which would have dropped from above the door to pull various triggers is on the ground by the door.

Outside there can still be seen an afternoon light...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Highbough

Meanwhile, Highbough makes his way to the wrecked front of the chapel, where the altar once stood, and surveys the bell toward through the gaping hole in the abbey walls. This is the place where the Tar Fiend crashed through the wall and destroyed many glorious stained-glass windows!

The "moat" beyond the wall is half filled with rubble, and the old elf skips easily across the stones without pause, then ambles across the yard to the adjacent bell tower to stand at the base of the very narrow thing. It is merely 10ft square, and maybe 25ft tall. There is a very narrow door at the base, and a rope handle dangling from a T frame adjacent to the door. Inside the tower there is only room for a tight ladder, enabling an altar boy (or an Elf!) to ascend to the bell...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Everyone else is still in the chapel.

Dieter makes good to continue the search for Gustave; who's going with him? And where to?

Post by Eris » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:37 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:Everyone else is still in the chapel.

Dieter makes good to continue the search for Gustave; who's going with him? And where to?
Olaf is with Dieter.

"Let's do this!" Olaf says checking his armor and weapons and preparing to head down into the crater with the big warrior.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Desmond stows his whet stone, shoulders his pack, and says, "I'm in, Dieter. Shall we see what is beyond that great big statue, then? We'll probably need another light source."

Once they get to the bottom of the stairs inside the crater, Desmond will take the lead. Seeing the destruction of the floor by the large pit trap, he murmurs, "Looks like I wasn't the only one dismantling traps..."

He sticks to the safe side of the path at the first section of tunnel, then winds around the corner, testing the floor with his sword whenever he sees anything that might be suspect. He is also mindful of tripwires that might drop something on them or launch arrows at them.

| What is the surface of the floor? dirt? stone (bedrock)? paved stone? |
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Eris wrote:
mushgnome wrote:"I for one wouldn't mind climbing the bell tower and taking a look around," volunteers Highbough.
"Well, splitting up in here is a bad idea, which we should know by now." Olaf says with a slight frown, "I think we should stick together as much as possible, but we can't leave the pilgrims outside, it's still dangerous out there."
"Of course it is still dangerous out there; that's why I want to have a look and see what beast or army might be marching our way!" retorts an irritable Highbough. But if nobody volunteers to watch his back while he climbs the bell tower, then he will grudgingly heed Olaf's advice about not splitting up the party. In that case, the Elf would catch up with Dieter, Desmond, and Olaf and join the hunt for Gustave.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Wen will of course follow along with the those searching for Gustave. He also keeps an eye out for his searching mice.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:13 pm

mushgnome wrote:"Of course it is still dangerous out there; that's why I want to have a look and see what beast or army might be marching our way!" retorts an irritable Highbough. But if nobody volunteers to watch his back while he climbs the bell tower, then he will grudgingly heed Olaf's advice about not splitting up the party.
Let us assume that Beringar agrees to accompany Highbough to the bell tower, and to stand a watch at its base while Highbough clambers up it...

Return to “Hinterlands”