(065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:30 pm

(065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

It is a forlorn afternoon in the broken and defaced rural abbey chapel.

[66 Man,mail+helm,torch,hand,9,5/5]Helmut[/66], [6 Woman,leather+helm,longbow,shield,12,5/5]Ashtad[/6] and [6 Dwarf,mail+helm,axe,shield,9,5/8]Valorn[/6] are here, overlooking the daunting crater in the center of the place.

When the door at the rear-right of the place (from Helmut's perspective) opens, and in file a most likely parade of hardened mercenary/adventurer-types.

[p Two-headed Halfling,leather,short sword,main gauche,9,9/12]Desmond/Mondes[/p], [p Elf,leather+helm,hand,hand,12,7/8]Wen[/p], [p Man,mail+helm,sword,shield,9,16/16]Dieter[/p], [p Old Elf,leather+helm,spear,hand,12,10/10]Highbough[/p], [pp Man,robes,lantern,hand,12,9/9]Ulric[/pp], [p Man,elvish mail+helm,spear,shield,12,11/11]Torben[/p], [p Man,leather,short-sword,hand,12,7/7]Armando[/p], [p Man,leather,spear,hand,12,7/7]Beringar[/p], [p Maiden,leather+helm,sword,torch,12,9/9]Josiane[/p], [p Dwarf,mail+helm,axe,shield,9,24/24]Dorgan[/p], and finally [p Young Man,leather+helm,sword,shield,12,14/14]Olaf[/p] enter via the rear-right (from Helmut's perspective) door.

A dozen yards of tumbledown chapel stand between the two unlikely groups.

What say you all?

| Remember you can mouseover the names for a brief description/status!
Yellow background indicates a light source.
Orange means could be killed by one normal hit. |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:38 pm

Re: (065) An Unlikely Rendezvous

Wen would raise his bow at the first sign of danger but before the arrow leaves his notices the dwarf... "What's this! Man, Woman and Dwarf? An unlikey trio. Not I suspect the evil quarry we hunt. Ha I think there is a story here. Who are you and what brings you to this forsaken abbey."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by Eris » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:57 pm

Last in, [p Young Man,leather+helm,sword,shield,12,14/14]Olaf[/p] looks to close the door behind him and quickly looks around for a way to bar it, so it can't be opened from the other side. If he can do that quickly, he will and let the others talk to the strangers.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by Condorcet » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:07 pm

Helmut drops his tinder and torch at the sound of the door opening and reaches for his sword; but his hand is stayed when he sees the bohemian troupe - led by a two-headed hobbit nonetheless - enter the chapel.

He instead slumps to the floor where he was crouched, and chuckles to himself.

"So, it is true", he mutters to no-one in particular, "I had begun to suspect when I saw the dead Sisters, and then this acursed pit - in a house of Thuul!"

He then turns his eyes to the stunted abomination (Desmond/Mondes). "But now I am sure that my mind is lost."

Post by sully » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:25 am

"Mind the dwarf," hisses Dorgan, "lest we fall prey ta another Guore in disguise."
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:31 am

In the blink of an eye, Desmond's sword and a dagger appear in his hands. He spits on the ground in a manner reminiscent of Viktor.

"You don't look like werewolves or black-robed priests of the wolf god. And you don't look strikingly similar to any of us. So far, not a bad start. Who are you and what are you doing here?"
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by heartless » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:20 am

Ashtad lowers her bow and makes eye contact with a smile hoping her charisma is enough and replies, "I am Ashtad and we on our way to Ket, and desire rest from the Sisters of Mercy in this convent for a night and to send greeting from the temple in Maine. We are protecting a band of common folk who where looking forward to meeting the sisters, and who now stand outside the abbey wall, waiting for us to return."

Ashtad whispers to Helmut, "We are out numbered lets hope they are friendly!".

Ashtad goes on, "May I ask who are you, and what has happened to this Abbey and the sisters? Can you call you friend or foe to the Sisters of Mercy?"
[Hinderlands]Kianna the Elf Sister-Fighter-Medium, Elf Maiden, Fighter/MU/Cleric 1/1/1
[Hinterlands-Netherworld] Ashtad Engel (the flaming arrow), Human Maiden, Marksman 2
[Moria] Lady Éohild (Noble of Rohan), Human Women, Fighter 3

Post by coffee » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:01 pm

heartless wrote:Ashtad lowers her bow and makes eye contact with a smile hoping her charisma is enough and replies, "I am Ashtad and we on our way to Ket, and desire rest from the Sisters of Mercy in this convent for a night and to send greeting from the temple in Maine. We are protecting a band of common folk who where looking forward to meeting the sisters, and who now stand outside the abbey wall, waiting for us to return."

Ashtad goes on, "May I ask who are you, and what has happened to this Abbey and the sisters? Can you call you friend or foe to the Sisters of Mercy?"
This actually causes Dieter to crack a smile.

"You could call some of us friends," he says. "Perhaps moreso now that we've been enjoying the hospitality hereabouts."

He'll keep an eye on these newcomers, though. Just because they haven't attacked yet, doesn't mean they won't.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by Eris » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:11 pm

heartless wrote:Ashtad lowers her bow and makes eye contact with a smile hoping her charisma is enough and replies, "I am Ashtad and we on our way to Ket, and desire rest from the Sisters of Mercy in this convent for a night and to send greeting from the temple in Maine. We are protecting a band of common folk who where looking forward to meeting the sisters, and who now stand outside the abbey wall, waiting for us to return."

[p Young Man,leather+helm,sword,shield,12,14/14]Olaf[/p] considers Ashtad's words and decides that they are "good guys", so he steps around the party and says quietly, "Well met Ashtad. I am Olaf and these are my friends, Olaf points to each of the party in turn naming them as he does so."

"We were set by the Sisters in Ket to find out what happened at this Abbey. As you can see it has been overrun by evil. We have come across what used to be Sisters, but who have been converted...or changed...to do the bidding of some evil god, as well as were creatures, evil male priests and one huge fiend."

The young man sighs, "I'm afraid that until we can clear this place it is no safe refuge for good folk. The good news is that we think we are close to success here."

"We could use some help." he finishes with a slight smile.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by Condorcet » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:16 am

"Well that almost makes sense" sighs Helmut, climbing to his feet.

"I am Helmut, Tine of Seyal and guardian of Thuul," he says, sheathing a great-sword on his back. "I have seen many things in my travels, but never a party such as this."

Return to “Hinterlands”