(063) The Abysmal Pit


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1154

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Dorgan will press his back to Dieter's and tighten his defense. He is not attacking any longer, only hoping to defend long enough for help to arrive. With the last of his strength, he'll yell out, "Come now! We need help now!"

| Time to check their morale again? |
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+lantern, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 594

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Now Dieter has gotten really angry. (In a more hyperbolic game, he'd be glowing with rage and we wouldn't need light...)

He lays about himself with abandon, since help is on the way and Dorgan is right behind him.

All else is target.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:30 am

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

| The veil of secrecy is lifted!

Dieter, Dorgan, Armando, and (imminently) Josiane are here... |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 416

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Seeing a gap open up ahead of her Josiane propels herself forward - dangling at the end of the rope then dropping into the chamber below, willing herself to land between Dorgan and the monsters assailing him...

If successful she rises to her feet, blade flashing from its sheath, but she does not strike at the foe.

Instead she raises it, almost in salute, but her eyes flash on either side of the shining blade as - yes, there's no question about it this time - they start to burn with an intense blue-grey fire. She brandishes her Symbol of Thuul before her and she speaks in a voice that is but partly her own, reverberating around the walls of this crypt like rolling, growing thunder...

"GET - THEE - HENCE!!!"

O.O.C: Josiane attempts to TURN the shadows.
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:59 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

The restless dead crowd in hungrily, sensing that Dorgan is nearly spent. Dieter may have strength remaining to him yet, but for how much longer?

Our weakened dwarf is struggling to defend his last gasp from the weight of endless clawing dead when, unexpectedly, Josiane drops out of the blackness above like a thunderclap, scattering the shadows as she lands with a great thud and dust cloud among them. By some trick of fate, Armando--at this very moment--gets his lantern fired so that, from Dorgan's perspective, Josiane appears in a corona of brightness as she rises from crouch to her full, authoritative height and commands the shadows to begone.

And quite unbelievably they scatter before her! By what force the foe is cast aside Dorgan can't guess, but right now he doesn't much care.

The remaining shadows scatter to the dimly lit perimeter of the (roughly) circular chamber, some 40ft away, where--despite their being virtually invisible there--they continue to move as far as is possible away from Josiane's intimidating presence.

| Initiative: 1d6 friendlies=2, foes=1. The players win again.

Well now everything is moot if Josiane turns the shadows, so let's look at that.

Firstly, Josiane suffers 1d6=3 three hp damage from the fall. Then, she attempts to turn:

Josiane versus the shadows 2d6=7; turns 2-12 of them; 2d6=8 which is all of them.

Meanwhile Dieter 4d20=19,7,16,8 two hits; 2d6=7 damage (not enough to destroy another one), while Dorgan defends. |


By the light of Armando's lantern, the extent of the chamber is just visible. It's an 80ft wide, approximately circular space littered with detritus and the remains of numerous dead, partially hidden in a blanket of chill mist.

The only other feature is stout circular column which stands to almost 10ft high, but doesn't reach the ceiling, at one end of the room. There does not appear to be any way into the place at ground level.

| What now? |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 416

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

"Dorgan? Lord Dieter?" says Josiane calmly while still glowering at the cowering shades; "Do you please move to the chute; rope should be lowered presently to allow us to effect an escape. Bravely done, Lord Armando."

She casts a questioning eye about the chamber (before returning it to bore into the quivering shadows once more. :evil: ) Does this look to be the chamber the party discovered before beneath the crypt of relics on their first foray into this benighted place?
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:50 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

It does indeed appear to be one and the same. A baroque ending place for fallen heroes...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 594

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Dieter, his sword still held aloft to strike at yet another shadow, slowly lowers his arm. He gazes in a slow circle around the entire chamber, seeing the detritus of how many lives lost? It's such a waste, and he's too tired to care at the moment.

Instead he does what he can in the present, helping Dorgan to his feet and tying the rope into a bowline hitch so the poor sod doesn't have to hold on by himself.

Frankly, Dieter isn't sure he himself could hold on either. But he can still fight, so he'll take the second trip back up.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

The remaining shadows continue to cower--deeper patches of blackness almost entirely indistinguishable from the other darkness--at the perimeter of the grim chamber while a rope is lowered from above; Dieter assists Dorgan into something of a "harness" that should be secure, then gives the rope a decent yank. And right away Dorgan is whisked upward on the rope, vanishing above.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 594

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

With Dorgan being hauled up, Dieter breathes a sigh of relief.

Then he looks around the room again. Is there a glint of metal to be seen anywhere, now that we have light? The blade of a fallen, victim, perhaps?

Or the treasure he'll no longer need, spilling out of his belongings?

Dieter turns to Josiane. "Do you see anything of value around here? We should take it, to finance our war against the snorks."

He starts searching about, right near where he and Dorgan landed.

"Oh, and does anybody have any good magic left?" he mutters. "If we could take out the rest of these shadows, then they won't be here to assault anyone else coming along."
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software