(063) The Abysmal Pit


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1162

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Dorgan will kneel down, drop his Axe, and pull his bedroll out of his sack. Tossing it on the flames, he'll attempt to keep the fire burning.

"Keep swingin', Dieter!"
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 601

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:25 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Dieter continues to fight. And as he does so, the phrase Dieter Shadowslayer takes a not unwelcome jaunt through his mind...
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16346

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Dorgan previously had his pack off his shoulders to rummage for oil and tinder, so it is lying on the ground nearby. He drops his axe and hastily (under attack) grabs the bottom of the pack to shake the contents free, and then flings it onto the dying fire.

Meanwhile Dieter suddenly has a precarious edge in the dark contest, and by the brightening light of the rekindling flames he dares push the crowd of reaching, clawing shadows back before the scathing edge of his carving, hewing silver blade, cutting them down left and right. These shadows haven't seen the likes of this in a hundred years...

| Dorgan won't attack this turn, but initiative is rolled; 1d6 Dieter=6, Shadows=5.

Dieter attacks first 4d20=14,16,15,9 is three hits. 3d6=13! Two more bleak shapes are vanquished.

Presuming the rekindled fire continues to keep two of eight foes out of attacking positions, only four are eligible to counter attack. As Dieter is putting them to the sword and Dorgan is preoccupied with getting fuel on the fire, let us suppose one attacks Dieter and three attack Dorgan:

1d20 vs Dieter (AC 3/5)=1, miss (10 str left).
3d20 vs Dorgan (AC 3/5)=12,15,4; one hit 1d4=3 -3 strength (6 str left).

---
A correction to last turn's summary:
As I'm using the EPT method, damage allocation against normal-types is always to the weakest individuals first, and always carries over from one slain individual to the next. Therefore, I have "redistributed" the fire damage to the weakest individual first (rather than spreading it randomly across opponents, as I would do for heroic type enemies). The upshot of this is that last turn's summary would have been: Dieter had destroyed 3, the fire destroyed 1, and Dorgan destroyed another (yes, the cold iron axe affects them). So while the same damage has been dealt, it is focused more on the weakest individuals, so you've slain a total of five rather than three.
---
Summary position of this turn: Dieter has vanquished two more, so you've now slain a total of seven. There still look to be about a dozen more (and, of course, all the toughest individuals remain). |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 601

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:44 am

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

waysoftheearth wrote:Summary position of this turn: Dieter has vanquished two more, so you've now slain a total of seven. There still look to be about a dozen more (and, of course, all the toughest individuals remain).


Yeah, but the toughest two of us remain as well...


Dieter continues taking down the shadows.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1162

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:21 am

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Dorgan will snatch up his Axe and continue the fight.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 16346

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:29 am

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

| So be it.

I will assume that Dorgan is more or less ready to go again immediately, seeing that he only needed to kick his pack into the fire last turn... |


"Another length of rope! Shadows beset Dieter and Dorgan!" shouts a voice from somewhere in the darkness above the melee, and an oil flask comes plummeting down and bursts into a sudden gout of bright flames! Dieter and Dorgan realise that help might be at hand--but will it come soon enough?

The shadows pause for an imperceptible moment, perhaps thrown back by the flash or fire, or beaten off by Dieter's tireless silver sword? But then the melee continues, ours heroes' strength ebbing, minute by minute, for the hundreds of freezing cold scratches and gashes they suffer as they hew into the relentless tide of enemy...

| Having suffered one third losses, the referee throws a morale check for the shadows; 2d6=7 which is a hold result. The shadows would not have pressed the fight this turn had Dieter and Dorgan not attacked them, but our heroes carry the fight to the enemy and force them to defend their line!

Initiative is rolled once more, d6 Friendlies=4 Foes=1.

Dieter 4d20=15,5,14,9 is two hits; 2d6=5,
Dorgan 4d20=14,16,7,18 is three hits; 3d6=9, destroys another foe.

With the fire renewed, only six could surround our heroes. With one of these cut down five remain in attacking positions.
Odds will attack Dieter, evens will attack Dorgan. 5d6=3,3,2,2,5.

3d20 vs Dieter (AC3/5)=17,10,5 is one hit, 1d4=-1 str (9 str remaining)
2d20 vs Dorgan (AC3/5)=14,10 is no hits (6 str remaining).

So, end of round summary: eight shadows have been slain. Almost a dozen remain.

What next? |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 601

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Heartened by the fresh flack of oil and the sound of reinforcements in the offing, Dieter lets loose a growl as he continues hacking these foul shades apart. His shiny blade flashes in the renewed firelight, sending reflections at each of the offending shadows; let them deal with that insult on top of the injury!
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1162

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Dorgan will Fight On!

| I had meant only to toss my bedroll into the fire, not the entire backpack. However, if digging out my bedroll would have taken too much time, we can stick with the original result. Dorgan can always get another backpack. |
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 16346

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

|
sully wrote:I had meant only to toss my bedroll into the fire, not the entire backpack. However, if digging out my bedroll would have taken too much time, we can stick with the original result. Dorgan can always get another backpack.

I judged that any distraction from defending yourself (e.g. unstrapping/digging anything out of a backpack) while surrounded and outnumbered by undead horrors trying to kill you would have gone badly. Like you say, backpacks are easy to replace...

While we're here; the oil fire will burn brightly for all of this (upcoming) turn, and will be dying out again next turn. |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16346

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

As the next turn of fighting commences Armando's voice comes again from somewhere above: "Highbough! Ulric! We need light — lots of it! And more rope!"

But neither Dieter nor Dorgan have a moment to spare him; they are still beset on all sides by bleak shades whose frigid claws are sapping the strength from them... how much longer can they endure?

Our heroes fight valiantly amid the hissing, clawing dead; Dorgan hews mightily in a last effort, delivering smashing blows that destroy two more of the feral shades but the effort costs him dear in freezing touches. Dorgan's strength is all but gone. He can scarcely lift the damnable axe again, and staggers to one knee under the weight of his own mail!

The dead hiss and sneer and press nearer as they sense victory at hand!

| Initiative is rolled. 1d6 friendlies=5, foes=4. Our heroes have the initiative again (on a bit of a lucky streak with that).

Dieter 4d20=9,19,8,4 (vs AC7) is one hit; 1d6=3.
Dorgan 4d20=17,2,11,19 (vs AC7) is three hits; 3d6=13.
Two more are destroyed, leaving four able to attack. There are about a half-dozen of them left.

2d20 vs Dieter (AC3/5)=3,8 nuthin' (9 strength remaining)
2d20 vs Dorgan (AC3/5)=18,12 one hit. 1d4=3! (3 strength remaining)

Dorgan can hardly believe it all comes down to this moment... |


Unseen in the background, Armando drops out of the darkness above, like a shadow himself, and lands catlike crouched upon the floor, and immediately sets to bringing more light to bear on the shadows.

| Armando makes an acrobat's roll d6=5 and aces his landing, so only takes 1d3=2 2 hp damage from the 20ft drop.

What next gentlemen? |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software