(063) The Abysmal Pit


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16255

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:21 am

(063) The Abysmal Pit

There's rushing air.
Hard hitting stone.
Tumbling, plummeting, light's vanishing fast.
Dark!
Thump! Crash! Again.

Free faaaaaaaaaallling!!!

CAR-Rrunch!! You hit an unyielding stone surface at an unfortunate pitch and

| 20ft fall results in 2-12 hit points damage; 2d6 Dieter=4, Dorgan=7 |

all your gear seems to land on top of you. You can't tell exactly because it is pitch dark.

Still, could have been worse, you each realise when it becomes apparent your neck isn't broke.

It's cold. And dark. And now you hear something moving, nearby...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 586

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Dieter will get to his feet.

Assuming he is still holding his sword and shield, he'll interpose the shield between himself and the sound of something moving. The sword point is next to the shield with his sword arm back; anything that launches itself at him gets one good shot before he stabs it.

Does it smell like wolf down here?


Also, Dieter mutters to Dorgan, "I hope you have a light."
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1140

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Dorgan will feel around him until he locates his axe and shield, and then rise to his knees. He'll then feel around a bit on the floor to see if there's anything he can turn into a makeshift torch. Normally, finding a pile of bones wouldn't make him feel good but he'd welcome the discovery of a solid thigh bone right now.

"I have oil and flint in me pack, but no torches," he'll reply softly.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+lantern, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 586

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:24 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

sully wrote:"I have oil and flint in me pack, but no torches," he'll reply softly.


"Pour some out and light it, then," Dieter says calmly. "Let's see what we're up against."


OOC: I assume it doesn't smell down here of flammable substances; as if the slightest spark will set off a Hindenberg-like conflagration. Because if so, then Dieter doesn't say that.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1140

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Assuming Dorgan doesn't find anything handy within arm's reach, he'll quietly dig into his pack for his tinderbox and a flask of oil. Regaining his feet, he'll find Dieter by touch, then pour out some oil in front of both of them and light it.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+lantern, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 16255

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:15 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

The darkness is chill--or is their skin just shivering?--and smells of old, old decay.

There might be vague echoes of an indiscernible but distant source, but with all the friggin' around in the dark here and now, Dieter and Dorgan figure that the main part of any noise is them. Funny thing is thou, the darkness seems to deaden most of it, flat.

They don't like it one bit, but Dorgan gropes around blindly for a bit in search of anything that might be fuel while Dieter unsheathes his swords and takes a blind defensive position.

It doesn't take long for Dorgan to get his mitts on... a moldy old skeleton's torso! The pile o' bones rattles like dice as its disturbed, but it ain't good fer burning, so he goes for his oil and tinder.

As he does there comes a harrowing moan from the dark that makes their skin prickle. A sound that should not be. And not anything like far enough off...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1140

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:33 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Once Dorgan gets the oil, he will pour it on the ground in the direction of the noise. After he lights it, he'll quickly snatch up his axe and shield.

He is interested in breaking off a rib, or maybe the spine, of the skeleton and wrapping some oil-soaked cloth around it to use as a makeshift torch. But defense comes first...
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+lantern, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 586

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Dieter maintains his watch in the direction of the eerie sound, while Dorgan searches for something to make into a torch.

When there's light, does he see anything?
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1140

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:32 pm

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Just to clarify, Dorgan will pour some oil on the ground, in the direction of the noise, and light it first.

After it's lit, and assuming there isn't an imminent threat, then Dorgan will look for a bone suitable for turning into a torch.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+lantern, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 16255

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:43 am

Re: (063) The Abysmal Pit

Dorgan pulls his pack off his shoulders and kneels in order to fumble through it in the pitch darkness, groping for a flask of oil by feel. He gets a mitt on it, and pulls it free as the singular moan breaks out into a frightening susurrus of whispers, hisses, and groans that seem to originate--generally--from one side of them. There's definitely at a gang of them, and they're close and closing!

An ordinary man would rightly wet himself about now, but Dorgan is no man, and Dieter ain't afraid of a few whispers in the dark.

Dorgan lets oil glug freely from his overturned flask as he digs briskly for his tinderbox and, finding the damn thing amid the now imminently near and hostile hisses, he has to gather a tiny thatch of tinder and attempt to strike a spark off a rough slate edge of the tinderbox with a piece of steel. What with an unknowable enemy descending, the timing could hardly be better!

| The referee decides to use the spell interruption mechanic to determine whether Dorgan will get his tinder lit, or be attacked before doing so. Essentially it comes down to an initiative roll, so 1d6; Dorgan=3, Enemy=5. That ain't so good.
Now ref dice to determine how many enemy will engage/attack this turn; 1d6=4. Dice to determine who they attack; odds for Dieter, evens for Dorgan; 4d6=3,4,4,3, so two each.
2d20 vs Dieter (AC3/5)=9,19 (+2 unseen, -4 parrying) 1 hit; 1d4=1 -1 str (16 str left).
2d20 vs Dorgan (AC4/6)=17,11 (+2 unseen) 1 hit; 1d4=3 -3 str (11 str left). |


...but it's too late! Something chilling and foul is at them in the dark! Dorgan's attempt to ignite the oil is spoiled, and both he and Dieter feel their vital warmth leeched out of them by dozens of reaching, icy, claws that seem to be everywhere around them!

The horrroaaarrr!!

| This is what's sometimes called "a tight spot"...

What do you intend for the next minute of action gentlemen? |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Next

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software