(060) A Burglar About?


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1617

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:38 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

(appended the last post with additional actions, in case you read it after it was first posted and didn't see anything after stowing the coin...)
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:00 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Desmond/Mondes variously stashes and hides the loot before heading back to the privy for the silver cage...

1d6

when he gets there, he finds the faerie person is nowhere to be seen. So there's nobody to object to his taken the abandoned cage back to the werewolf quarters and hiding it behind the door with the rest.

Satisfied, he determines to push on, and creeps over to listen at the far door...

d6

...now after a minute or two he hears nothing but his own breathing. He's convinced there's nobody else about... this being so, he pulls the door inward to reveal another semi-lit passage. It's not as dark ahead as he might have expected, owing to some serious damage to the structure. It appears that part of the ceiling has collapsed about 40ft or so up the passage, allowing multiple shafts of grey daylight to slant into the interior. But between him and that, there's another broad room hanging off the left side of the passage...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1617

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:23 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Quiet as a mouse, Desmond moves down the hall and to the left to examine the broad room...
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:54 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Desmond/Mondes proceeds quietly-like into the broad, dim room. There are a pair of tiny, grubby windows that overlook the interior courtyard but they are so filthy as to admit minimal light.

Regardless, he immediately makes out the lay of the room as a 40ft long by 30ft broad with a passage-way running the length of its right hand side (from his perspective as he enters).

The unpleasant smell of old carrion lingers on the air here; he can see no discrete source of the pong, but he instinctively recognises this place--this is the room where the company fought a giant wolf on their last visit. Apparently the corpse of the monster must have been dragged away... and so then, logically, the collapsed sections of wall in the works ahead must where Giant Guntram burst from the passageway into the courtyard.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1617

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:11 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Desmond gives the room a quick scan for anything worth noting. If he sees nothing, then he continues on to the rubble. If he is able to make it through the rubble and continue down the passage, then he will.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:05 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Desmond/Mondes moves silently through the large room, out the opposite door arch, and climbs quietly through the ruinous passage way (which takes several minutes of careful negotiation) and into the passage beyond. From there he is able to pad his way down the intact passage all the back to the lobby. And there he finds a canny thing... half a dozen crossbows appear to be suspended in the dark air, hanging like awkward kites at improbable angles so that the business ends all point directly to the stoutly barred front door. All is quiet and still... and quite dim.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1617

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Curious, Desmond moves a little closer to better examine the nearest crossbow.

"Watcha make of this, Mon? A trap for us in case we'd tried the front door? Oi, sure wouldn't be safe to leave them things hanging about all armed and such. Seems they're s'posed to go off when someone goes through the door, so maybe we can safely disarm them without being shot..."

Desmond unstrings his bow and uses the stave to see if he can deftly flip the bolt out of the crossbow nearest him. If that isn't long enough, then he lashes an arrow to the end of the bow stave to see if that gives him the needed reach. If THAT doesn't work, he tries to engage the firing lever by pushing up on it.

If he can safely disarm the first one, then he disarms all of them.

If they are all safely disarmed, he begins looking about the room for a light source - a torch or lantern or some such thing.

| So we're back at the main entrance to the abbey? Where we first came in and met with the young barefoot "nun"? |
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

'Tis a bit of a delicate operation, but knowing what he's doing--and with the extra reach of his bow stave--Desmond/Mondes manages to delicately dislodge a bolt from the nearest crossbow without putting himself in its line of fire.

In doing this he's able to figure--more or less--how the trap is rigged; a little brass pulley has been fitted above the trigger of each crossbow, and is "wired"--via a gossamer thread across the ceiling--to counterweight balanced over the door. Should the door be opened, the counterweight would drop, triggering the half dozen crossbows. It would be a sore welcome indeed.

However, given about ten minutes of delicate work, he's able to disarm all bar one of the crossbows. The last one is suspended right up near the ceiling and is too high for Desmond/Mondes to reach.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1617

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:53 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Relieved that the trap is mechanical - and not magical - in nature, he quietly goes about disarming the traps. When left with the last one, nearest the ceiling, Desmond sighs, "damned all tall people. Can't leave the one, though. A bit of bad luck and that one shot could be deadly, too."

He studies the trap a moment, then decides a well-placed shot at the counterweights would knock them off the door, thus triggering the trap, albeit with a bit more noise than he would have liked.

"Anyone in ear shot who knows about the traps is going to come runnin', Mon. So once we sets it off, we'll just slip into that dark corner real quiet-like and wait a few minutes to see if anyone shows up."

Desmond stands just behind the still-armed trap, puts a stone in his sling, and attempts to knock the counterbalance off the door with the stone.

He'll give it a few shots if he misses with the first. If he springs the trap, he will slip into the shadows and remain motionless for several minutes until he is sure nobody will come running.

If the coast remains clear after several minutes, he will step back into the open and see if he can scavenge any thin wire line and brass pulleys from any of the traps.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16340

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Eyeing the counterweights for a bit, Desmond/Mondes decides a good jolt with a stone might dislodge them so pulls out his sling and winds up for a shot 1d20=1! but his sling gets caught in one of the dangling crossbows just before he looses, bringing it down with an awful clatter!

| Ref decides this deserves a wandering monster check; 1d6=? |

Desmond/Mondes winces and holds his breath for a moment... but nothing seems to come of it. So he takes the errant stone and flings it with his hand d20=20! (that's more like it!) and this time hits the counterweight dead on, bringing the whole thing down, yanking the gossamar line hard and firing the last crossbow bolt right into the door at about head height (for a halfling). Ouch.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software