(060) A Burglar About?


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:38 am

(060) A Burglar About?

| Here's where Desmond/Mondes' burglaring mission will happen... |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1606

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:05 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Desmond: Desmond/Mondes slip into the shadows of the trees and make their way to the far side of the orchard, heading out the way they all came in.

DM: Okay, it's a bit of an incline back up to the rocky path, but nothin you can't handle. Also, since the others are preoccupied, it's easy to avoid being noticed...

Desmond: Just to clarify, he doesn't yet leave the orchard. He just moves as far west (? northwest?) within the orchard as he can, in the direction they came from. He wants to make sure everyone gets away, but he also has a growing fear of the large golem with the rays of heat what come from its eyes and burn rock...

DM: Got it; it's a good strategy to ensure there is an "escape option" if it all goes pear shaped

Desmond: Indeed! It's easier to think more like a thief than a fighter when you aren't wearing chain mail. Oh, and the opponent has laser eye beams that disintegrate...

DM: Yep; On the other hand you can hide in nothing more than shadows and, for all intents and purposes, not be there!

Desmond: Sticking to the shadows, Desmond moves up closer to the action, keeping to the perimeter of the orchard. If possible, he wants to try and get a good look inside the compound through the breaks in the wall. That might involve climbing a tree - shouldn't be too big a deal to climb a fruit tree in an orchard, if that is the case.

DM: Yes, he would have to climb a tree to get a look into the abbey. Even where the wall is damaged, it's still 6-7ft high.

Desmond: Once he obtains a better position in a tree that will give him a view over the wall whilst not placing him too close to the lava golem, Desmond attempts to take a count of the party to make sure everyone is present while Mondes keeps an eye on Wen and the creature made of liquid hot magma.

Desmond: Desmond wonders what kind of mischief he can get into...

After the dust settles from the destruction of the construct, he looks to see if he can more easily sneak into the abbey through one of the damaged sections of wall, if he can scale the 6-7 ft sections with no problem.

If not, then he will use one of the orchard trees to accomplish the task.

Once on the roof, he will take in the surroundings, looking to see where the party goes and watching for the response from the wolf-people.

DM: 1d6=4, is enough. Des climbs the wall and hauls himself into one of the saw-tooth gaps left by the Fiend. From there he can relatively easily drop down into the courtyard... or, find his way through a breach and into the chambers below the damaged catwalk. The fog in the courtyard appears to be clearing, but it is still present. Perhaps wrapping a kerchief around his faces would help?

Since he's being sneaky, I'll basically treat him as invisible until somebody specifically looks for him. At that point I will dice and, unless special circumstances dicate otherwise, on a roll of 3-6 Des will remain undetected. That's thieves for you.

If you intend to continue in private, let me know and I'll create a private forum for this action...

Desmond: Yeah, I'd like to have Desmond try and remain hidden. Doing so means remaining hidden from everyone, not just werewolves.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp ?/?, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1606

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:11 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Desmond likes the idea of looking for a breach in the chambers below the catwalk, someplace where he can hole up for 10 minutes and take a breather and bandage his wounds up.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp ?/?, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:18 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

That's no problem at all; there are lots of holes among the rubble, and he soon finds one ample enough for a Halfling to slip through, and drops to the floor almost silently.

His (four) eyes quickly adjust to the semi-dark within (shafts of grey light passing in through the ruined ceiling), and surmises he is in some kind of dormitory. There are two disused bunks on one side of the small room, and two doors opposite, which must presumable facilitate trespass along the inside perimeter of the wall...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1606

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:43 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Desmond quickly checks to see if there is any way to secure the door to the room from the inside. If there is, he does. If not, he doesn't worry about it and goes ahead and takes a position behind one of the beds and binds his wounds, eating a bit of food and such for about ten minutes.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp ?/?, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:59 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

He could shove one bunk-bed in front of either door, then go sit down where the beds were...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1606

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:47 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

He wants to avoid making noise, so he will pick up one end and swing it around towards the door, then move the other end, etc, until the bed braces the door.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp ?/?, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:36 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

The room is about 15ft x 10ft, laid out like this:

  Code:
................................
....------------------------....
........H.<--Door-->.H..........
....----+............+------....
........|............|..........
........|-B-+....+-B-|..........
........|.u.|....|.u.|..........
........|.n.|....|.n.|..........
........|.k.|....|.k.|..........
........+------------+..........
................................



Desmond is only modestly strong (he is a Halfling!), so it's possible for him to drag/swing one of the bunks so that it ends up horizontally between the two doors without too much noise. This makes it very improbable that anyone could pass through either door without alert Desmond/Mondes.

Then he takes a sits down on the other bunk to take a drink, and snack, and a general breather. It's been a big day already!

| A proper rest takes a full exploration turn (10 minutes), during which time the ref checks for unwanted random events... 1d6=?

The good news is, with Desmond's two heads he is less likely to be surprised if that scenario should ever come up.

Referee rolls for hit points recovered; 1d6=2 |


Nothing interrupts Desmond/Mondes' repose, and he stands up feeling somewhat refreshed.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1606

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:06 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Well... He supposes he feels a bit better and that's not so bad, though he sure hasn't felt himself since leaving the elf camp.

| i guess 9/12 isn't bad, though I'd rather have double that! |

Desmond quietly picks up his things and shoulders his pack. Before he leaves the room, he gives the floor a quick once-over to make sure there weren't any compartments in the floor.

Once that is done, he orients himself with the building layout to try and help figure out where to go. Before deciding which door to leave through, he listens at both doors. If he hears something behind one of the doors, he quietly moves the bed against that door and goes the other way. If he hears nothing behind either door, he takes the one that he thinks will lead him south (away from the bell tower).
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp ?/?, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:22 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Desmond/Mondes gives the room a quick check over for false floors and secret doors, but quickly decides there is nothing amiss.

The door end of the room backs onto the thick, outer wall. The bunk end of the room faces into the interior of the courtyard.

He listens at both doors d6, but the whole place seems to have grown ominously quiet...

Then, facing toward the doors, the one on the right would lead toward the bell tower. The one on the left would lead toward the front gate that was used on your last visit here. He opens the door leading left, quietly-like, and peaks though...

...beyond is a dim passage way with several more doors on the left hand side. The ceiling is intact and right wall is solid as you like wall (the outer-wall of the abbey). Up ahead--about 20 yards or so, the passage ends in a closed door.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Next

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software