(060) A Burglar About?


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1564

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Desmond glances over at Mondes in an overtly dramatic fashion and mouths, "Sod it all..." to his shoulder-sharing companion.

Is it regular, almost... raspy breathing? Could they have set the contraption back up already, even though it was burned out with Ulrich's potent bottle of liquidfire? From the shape of the first infirmary room, Desmond doubts it. He listens again for a bit. No, this steady, quiet sound is different. It might be The Gustave, taking another reprieve in the face of dangers untold! Or it could be trouble...

Quiet as can be, the silver dagger slips out of its sheath.

The door opens into the room, Desmond can obviously see, so he edges closer to the door to try and get a glimpse of what it might be without further disturbing the door. If he can't, then he will ever-so-slightly open the door as slowly... as... possible. Should it give indication of squeaking at all during this process, he'll immediately pause and listen for a change in the breathing before he continues. Either way, once he has a better view into the room, he'll stop opening the door to see what he can see...
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp ½/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:45 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

The silver dagger slips out of it sheath and, craning Desmond's neck to get a better view while Mondes' head acts as a counter-weight, Desmond/Mondes reaslises that the door will need pushing inward about an inch to get any kind of view inside... he's about to apply the smallest bit of pressure to the door with his dagger tip when, all in a rush, it flies inward.

Standing opposite, in a pose that almost mirror's his own, is a somewhat shabby looking two-headed Halfling!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1564

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:48 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

| does it look similar just in that it has two heads? Or does it look exactly like Desmond and Mondes? |
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp ½/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:07 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

| It's been a while since Demond/Mondes checked himself in a looking glass, but it's plain to see this fellow could pass as his double. |

"Don't be afraid," smiles Other-Desmond sincerely...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1564

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:09 am

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

"Sorry, mate. Oi already got me evil double right here!" Desmond tilts his head to the side to indicate Mondes.

Without another word, Desmond turns and runs at his highest possible speed. He hopes his knowledge of the building layout helps him to evade his pursuer...

If he has to drop some gear to evade pursuit, he drops the following items to see if that helps:
Flaming torch
Bow
Quiver
Hooded cloak

He heads for where he last saw his friends, which was entering the chapel.

The direction he takes is to leave the infirmary and turn right to take the hallway to the lobby.
There, he deftly evades the mess of wires and crossbows he left when disabling the traps and turns right again to head down the other hallway until he gets to Guntrum's Ruins. He uses the opening in the wall there to move into the open courtyard.
He crosses the moat using the planks and skitters along the wall until he can enter the chapel through the other opening.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp ½/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

| Other-Desmond is not surprised and not more than 30ft away, so Desmond/Mondes will have to win initiative in order to avoid being attacked as he turns to flee. Initiative is diced, 1d6; Desmond/Mondes=6, OtherGuy=3. So Desmond is off like a startled rabbit.

The enemy will pursue, so the ref resolves a dungeon pursuit.
Desmond drops his torch, bow, quiver, and cloak, but even so the movement rates are equal so it's only a matter of how far the enemy will pursue.
Will the enemy pursue beyond the infirmary door? 1d6=4, so no. |


Desmond/Mondes turns and flees as his double lunges for his neck, misses by mere inches! He drops a bunch of stuff to unencumber himself, and runs as fast as ever he can. By the time he reaches the far side of the lobby he realises he has shaken the chase off already. Or at least he seems to have...

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1564

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:12 pm

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

| WHEW!! Had he rolled better HP starting this adventure and been in his chain armour, he likely would have stayed and gone toe-to-toe. Or tried to fight it unfairly, even. But alas...

Also... Dopplegangers!!! (Or, as they used to call them in Desmond's village, dyple nichtgenge, which is "twin night goblin" in Old English... possibly shortened to "dyple genge" for the origin of the word "doppleganger"? Hey, not bad! I love thinking about stuff like that. [EDIT: Looks like the word is German in origin, but I like my explanation better.]) Random wandering monster result from the racket he caused with his sling earlier? Or... how the wolf beast worshipers infiltrated the sisterhood of the abbey? Interesting idea...

Either way, time to report back to the others. And grab his silver. Apparently not in that order. |


Not wanting to take any chances, Desmond continues west down the hallway towards Guntrum's Ruination. He climbs over the rubble, into the courtyard.

He'll take a quick chance to slip inside the old werewolf den and grab the two sacks of silver and the birdcage and then, with all haste, cross the tar moat on the timber bridge and make his way into the chapel.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp ½/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1564

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

ehiker133 wrote:Not wanting to take any chances, Desmond continues west down the hallway towards Guntrum's Ruination. He climbs over the rubble, into the courtyard.

He'll take a quick chance to slip inside the old werewolf den and grab the two sacks of silver and the birdcage and then, with all haste, cross the tar moat on the timber bridge and make his way into the chapel.


| Sorry, slight change in path... |

Desmond continues west down the hallway towards Guntrum's Ruination. He climbs over the rubble and continues down the hallway to the werewolf den. He figures anyone following him is going to make some noise crossing the rubble, as well.

There, he grabs the two sacks of silver and the birdcage and then, with all haste, exits into the courtyard, crosses the tar moat on the timber bridge and make his way into the chapel.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp ½/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Very good... Desmond/Mondes scamper through the dim passages all the way back to the werewolf nest without further incident. At a glance his stashed goodies seem undisturbed.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1564

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: (060) A Burglar About?

Smiling at his good fortune, Desmond secures the sacks of coin in his pack.

| Er... just how big are these sacks of coin, anyway? Are they big enough that Desmond will need to carry them in his hands? Or can he stow them in any way? If they are big enough they can't be stowed, then he will tie the cage to his pack and carry the bags in his hands. |

Once he has sorted it out, however that may be, Desmond opens the door to the courtyard a crack to make sure nobody is about. If the coast is clear, he slips out and quickly makes his way across the moat and into the chapel.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp ½/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software