(056) Spirits of Wildwood

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:31 pm

Re: (056) Spirits of Wildwood

Wen would play a little bit more before stopping and saying quietly to HIghbough. "This place feels different, there is menacing feel to the forest. I think we are meant o go out there but we had best be careful."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:35 pm

"Do not be afraid, little Elf!" cheers Highbough. "This forest reminds me of my youth. Ahhh, can you smell that?" He takes a deep breath and appears genuinely happy.

"Perhaps a gentle tune on your pipes as we walk, to draw the attention of the spirits and show them we mean no harm? Do you know the lament of the Elf maiden who was turned into a swan? I have forgotten the words, but if you know a few notes, the melody would take me back to my childhood." In a conspiratorial whisper, he asks Wen, "I have been rehearsing potent magic to sense that which is unseen; do you think the time is now, or shall I wait until we are presented with a more obvious riddle or obstacle?"

[OOC: I believe the duration of Sixth Sense is 12 turns.]
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 pm

Wen would nod... "I do not know, I'm not really sure what we are looking for. But it seems a good application of your powers. I will continue to play for now."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:51 pm

OOC: My understanding of DD rules is that a "turn" in this context equals 10 minutes, so the spell lasts 2 hours? If that is correct then...

Highbough casts Sixth Sense. As the two Elfs walk, Wen in the lead with his pipes and Highbough following like a mesmerized rat, he is casting his mind about, sweeping all directions for the thoughts of any nearby sentient creatures or entities...
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:00 am

mushgnome wrote:OOC: My understanding of DD rules is that a "turn" in this context equals 10 minutes, so the spell lasts 2 hours? If that is correct then...
A "turn" is of elastic duration. For now, yes, we'll move to dungeon exploration turns (of 10 minute durations). If a combat were to occur, we would move to combat turns (of 1 minute duration), which would cause your spell to burn more quickly. The upshot is: we can't say with absolute certainty exactly how long the magic will last, but if all goes well it should last two hours.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:03 am

ooc: Well at least we look the part, I've got a crown of flames, playing a flute and you're in your cloak, with the spear of Ire. Go team Elf!

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:37 am

mushgnome wrote:Highbough casts Sixth Sense. As the two Elfs walk, Wen in the lead with his pipes and Highbough following like a mesmerized rat, he is casting his mind about, sweeping all directions for the thoughts of any nearby sentient creatures or entities...
Highbough invokes his magic and feels his senses broaden, and his general awareness of the surrounds creeps up a notch... his hearing, taste, smell, and skin are more sensitive than ever. He can feel the insects buzzing, and the vibration of Wen's pipe-playing in the air...
##### Sixth Sense
(affects: self, duration: 12 turns, range: 6") The magic-user concentrates on a specific direction for one turn in order to sense what creatures are within range in that direction. Having sensed creatures, the magic-user can perceive the surface thoughts of any one creature at a time, listening in for as long as desired. He can hop from creature to creature as desired, turn by turn, unless the magic is obstructed by lead or any rock thicker than 20ft.
Highbough will need to focus his attention in one specific direction at a time. There are (in a hexagon-based world) six general directions for him to consider; ahead, left, right, over left shoulder, over right shoulder, and behind.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by mushgnome » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:59 am

Is my memory correct that we have no specific goal, direction, or destination in mind? And that getting lost in here means possibly never being able to return to the mortal world?

If Highbough's sixth sense cannot sweep in all directions like a radar, then it seems prudent to stop here a while before we move on, and allow HIghbough to scan each of the 6 directions for signs of intelligence. Since we don't have a destination, there is no "forward," but he would start with North and then move widdershins through the other 5 directions. If there are no "hits" then maybe Detect Magic will reveal something. Highbough is also thinking we should leave a trail of lembas-crumbs or something to find our way back. (Actually, that sounds like a good way to get followed by hungry beasts. Maybe we'll just use our innate forest-sense and look for landmarks to find our way back out again.)

Do you agree with this plan Young Wen?

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:40 am

Wen would say "I don't think getting lost will be the problem. But we can leave some small marks in the turf it should be enough. As far as where and whom, well Forest Spirits, which mean forward into the forest. Let just move ahead for a ways and see what we find."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:23 am

As it happens our pair don't have long to wait before Wen piping attracts the attention of the denizens...

| Ref rolls reaction check to determine how they will respond to Wen's muse: 2d6=7; an indifferent reaction. |

...as our pair stride cautiously along, trying to determine for themselves which way might be north--or indeed "back", the general hum of insect life grows to a proper drone and suddenly, form out of the green and ivory light between moss covered trucks, a 1ft tall gnome buzzes right toward you, looking here and there, and then comes to a sudden stop some 1d6=2 20ft away as it spots you. It bobs in the air--its dragonfly wings buzzing so quickly they are scarcely visible, tilting its whole head and body sideways to get a better look at you. It's skin is bright green, it's eyes a vibrant red with yellow slits, and its nose is a long curved hook that looks ridiculously large in its tiny face. It wears tights, a colourful waist coat along with classic, curly-toed green boots, and what looks like a long yellow night-cap.

It regards you indifferently a moment, before chirping: "What were thet noizz?" in a heavily accented dialect of Old Elvish.

Return to “Hinterlands”