(055) Wildwood/The Ivory Wold


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16189

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:57 am

(055) Wildwood/The Ivory Wold

Dawn comes.

The four weary giants are completely spent from their night march, and with the first light they fade to their normal size and immediately succumb to a magical slumber.

The remainder of the company pick themselves up and find themselves on the outreaches of the Wildwood, which fills the lands to their north quite entirely. By midday, they reckon, they could be entirely under its canopy.

More immediately, however, everyone is tired and hungry (and fatigued). And safety seems far from assured! There is no sign of any Elves, or of any settlement of any kind.

North lies a great, foreboding wood. In all other directions lies a vast undulating plain of tall grasses.

What to do?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1421

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:10 am

Re: (055) Wildwood (the Ivory Wold)

Wen would stretch and walk about a bit taking a look around. "Anyone want to dare the goblin cheese and jerky. I think we are stuck here until our glorious giants awaken. We best keep an eye out for trouble while we wait."

Wen eventually sit down and study his spellbook.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Fighter (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 5/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1564

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:55 am

Re: (055) Wildwood (the Ivory Wold)

waysoftheearth wrote:North lies a great, foreboding wood. In all other directions lies a vast undulating plain of tall grasses.


OOC: Not that it matters much to the fatigued, blind, two-headed hobbit who's just been carried many leagues in a sack and probably doesn't know up from down, but isn't "up" on that map actually East?
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp ½/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16189

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:59 am

Re: (055) Wildwood (the Ivory Wold)

| The referee now rolls system shock checks for everyone to see how they respond to the parasite-loaded warg meat.

Desmond/Mondes, Dorgan, and Guntram have iron constitutions and don't need to check.
Olaf, Dieter, Gustave have 12 constitution, and 90% chance of faring well; they're all well and good.
Ulric and Armando have 11 constitution, and 80% chance of faring well; they're both good (Armando by 1 pip on the die!)
Torben has 10 constitution, and 70% chance of withstanding adversity; 1d20=6, so he is unwell.
Josiane and Beringer have 9 constitution, and 60% chance of withstanding adversity; 2d20=8,3, so both are unwell.
Wen and Highbough have 6 and 5 constitution, and 20% chance of withstand adversity. 2d20=13,9, so both are unwell. |


Come the morning, Torben, Josiane, Beringer, Wen and Highbough are all feeling unwell (although Torben and Beringer are in an ensorcelled slumber, so they are unaware of this for now).

Apparently, warg meat half-cooked on a filthy goblin shield is not agreeable to all diners!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16189

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:01 am

Re: (055) Wildwood (the Ivory Wold)

ehiker133 wrote:OOC: Not that it matters much to the fatigued, blind, two-headed hobbit who's just been carried many leagues in a sack and probably doesn't know up from down, but isn't "up" on that map actually East?


Yes. You headed more easterly for the early part of the night, then turned more northly toward the woods as morning came on. Somebody suggested this in the OOC thread, and it seemed reasonable enough, so that's what happened.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1421

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:07 am

Re: (055) Wildwood (the Ivory Wold)

ooc: How unwell is unwell? :( My plan which may come to nothing was to memorize The Infinitesimal Summons and then ask Olaf to come with me as we try to find the Elves. That way the rest of the party can rest and move under the canopy when the sleepers get up. Unless I already know where the Elves are I was going to cast The Infinitesimal Summons to help me find them....
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Fighter (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 5/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1126

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:19 am

Re: (055) Wildwood (the Ivory Wold)

Dorgan gazes upon the Elven wood.

"Mebbe we carry them who's sleepin', and keep going? I won't feel comfortable 'til we're in the Woods entire, even if'n we're trading one problem fer another."
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+lantern, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 320

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:30 am

Re: (055) Wildwood (the Ivory Wold)

sully wrote:Dorgan gazes upon the Elven wood.

"Mebbe we carry them who's sleepin', and keep going? I won't feel comfortable 'til we're in the Woods entire, even if'n we're trading one problem fer another."


Gustave rises from his silken bedding and stretches in the golden dawn, patting his belly contentedly.

"I fear carrying so many would take us all day and leave those left unguarded my friend", replies Gustave, attaching components of his armour, "It seems that warg does not agree with some of our more err...discerning eaters", he adds, observing the green pallor of many of the company.

"Perhaps an emissary can be sent for aid?" he suggests to Wen with an eye on the still-distant forest, unsure if the elf is up to anything much himself.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16189

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:34 am

Re: (055) Wildwood/The Ivory Wold

mgtremaine wrote:ooc: How unwell is unwell? :( My plan which may come to nothing was to memorize The Infinitesimal Summons and then ask Olaf to come with me as we try to find the Elves. That way the rest of the party can rest and move under the canopy when the sleepers get up. Unless I already know where the Elves are I was going to cast The Infinitesimal Summons to help me find them....


Let's say it's equal to a typical bout of food poisoning... you'll struggle to achieve anything beyond the lightest activities.

Wen and Highbough both have a pretty reasonable idea where the Elvish output is. Moreover, they'd both recognise the Elvish signs in the woods when whey see them...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1564

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:42 pm

Re: (055) Wildwood (the Ivory Wold)

Desmond looks concerned when he hears about those who fell sick from the warg meat.

"Just think if we'd tried hiking here without the aid of the beans and half our party had taken ill," he ponders. "We'd probably be causing wargs to have upset stomachs about now, I'd wager..."

"How far to the elven hold, Wen,"
he asks, "Do we need to try and walk it from here? Or can you go and bring aid?"

After sitting in silence a while, he calls The Gustave over to him and whispers, "There must be SOMETHING to those wooden bowls we found in that secret room. Next time you go round and give water to the ill, try giving it to them out of one of the wooden bowls."
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp ½/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
Next

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mgtremaine and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software