(017) A closer look at the Gatehouse

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:46 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Wibert strides off confidently into the still, chilly dawn.

As the pale sun is just rising over what looks to be a mostly over-cast day, there are few shadows to take any advantage of. But on the other-hand, once Wibert has clambered down the steep rock face into the adjacent gully, there is no sign of any other living thing. He might well be the last Halfling on the Tor!

Another hundred paces tramped back down the gully toward the gatehouse, and Wibert has more or less discarded any need for secrecy. There's nobody about, and he reckons there are still a good few hundred paces to hike, so he makes a bee line...

Taking what he deems the most direct route, Wibert climbs two more ridges, and wanders along the trailing gullies before he at last spies the gatehouse again. He has overshot his mark by 50 yards or so due to the inconvenient ridges and gullies, but now he has his bearings again.

The keep is shrouded in a morning mist, so is difficult to see clearly in the gloom, but the portculis still appears raised. And also in his favour, Wibert realises that the mist will conceal his approach nicely...

(The keep is 40 yards of open but lightly misty ground away)

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:03 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Nidhogg the Dwarf and Koch the Man sneak away into the mist, with the ravine at their backs and the looming shadow of the gatehouse over their left shoulders...

Soon they are scuttling into the first of the numerous gullies in the surrounding lands and unexpectedly come across a lone Halfling, headed the other way.

Hands go swiftly to weapon hilts, but at the last moment Nidhogg and Wibert recognise one another.

"Well, blimey!" exclaims Wibert, relieved that he doesn't have a two against one fight on his hands.

"Blimey me," agrees Nidhogg, who in truth is quite exhausted from his short captivity, and somewhat relieved that he won't have to "find" the company somewhere in the wilderness if the Halfling knows where they are.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 pm

Professor P wrote:
KOCH relaxes his grip on his partially drawn bowstring with a sigh of relief as he realizes Nidhogg knows the halfling, then apprehension kicks back in as he asks, "Nidhogg, please tell me he is a member of your present company and not an old friend from your days with Saxxon."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:40 am

Guest wrote:
Looking a bit perplexed, Nidhogg exclaims "He's both! We defected separately but simultaneously! How goes it Wibert?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:36 am

heartless wrote:
Wibert's jaw drops and a smile appears on his mouth, "Either I had too much to drink last night or its you Nidhogg. So good to see you friend! Are you okay? What happened to you, as you didn't come back and we were attacked and had to eat the mule and a Halfling appeared" speaks Wibert now tongue tied, as he attempted to say too much at once.

He looks at Koch, €œI see you have a new friend, sorry my name is Wibert and if you be not a friend of Saxxon, you can be my friend?€

I was on a mission to find a safe way into this keep, maybe via a back door. Do you know of any?

Wibert takes a deep breathe and goes on, €œLets have a quick look around while they are still sleeping and this mist is hiding us, then we can go back to the group and have breakfast and catch up with what happened to us all€.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:18 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
All in a good night's adventure [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Guest wrote:
"We can go in through the cellar which was being used as a donjon for our new friend Koch. I have spikes in place for the climb already!"

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:46 pm

Professor P wrote:
KOCH sighs with relief and greets Wibert, "Well met Wibert, I am KOCH. I am most certainly an enemy of Saxxon and, if not for Nidhogg, would still be his captive."

KOCH points from the direction he and Nidhogg just came, "We escaped the gatehouse cellar through a cavern. It's a difficult climb, but it could be used to re-enter the cellar. The only problem is that the cellar is closed off by a locked hatch. Of course, that shouldn't be too difficult to break."

At the mention of breakfast KOCH's ears raise and his heart sings, "Breakfast?! I would love some breakfast and some water. I have not eaten well in days. Some food and drink and a short rest and I'll be more than happy to help break in."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:44 pm

heartless wrote:
"Im glad you are both ok now. You know Koch I am the company's cook, lets so back and have something to eat then", suggests Wibert.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Professor P wrote:
heartless wrote:"Im glad you are both ok now. You know Koch I am the company's cook, lets so back and have something to eat them", suggests Wibert.
"Sounds like a fine plan, Wibert," grins KOCH.

Return to “Hinterlands”