(016) Of Knaves and Men

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:32 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

waysoftheearth wrote:
Koch finds himself a route through the cavern to the pool and, holding the sputtering torch with one hand, sluices the water with his shield. At first he thinks the water pure and clear, but just as he is about to reach down to splash his face clear, he realises that what he thought was the rocky bottom of the pool was actually a bed of the 1ft sized slug creatures! He recoils hastily as the creatures untangle themselves and quest outward, their mouth-parts searching...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:39 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

waysoftheearth wrote:
Meanwhile Nidhogg surveys the cavern ceiling for a likely route to the breach, above. He judges himself a fair climber, and identifies a tough, but plausible path.

(Nidhogg will require two climbing rolls to reach the breach. If the first fails he would suffer a relatively minor slip down the wall. If the second fails he would free fall into the pool.)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:32 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Professor P wrote:
KOCH recoils from the water in the same manner he did before, slowly backing away with his torch in front of him.

He approaches Nidhogg and says, "Climbing is not the best idea, one slip and you'll be in the water with those slug-things. We should check some of these other paths."

As long as the slugs stay close to the water, KOCH will begin to check the entrance to the crawlspaces for recent activity (movement into and out of by the slugs or other creatures).

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:03 am

(016) Of Knaves and Men

waysoftheearth wrote:
On the other hand, Nidhogg is an uncanny climber, and certain precautions could be taken...

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:38 am

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Professor P wrote:
KOCH examines the wall again (How high is the wall?). KOCH's feels his nerves frayed to their end. His long confinement and lack of water and food makes him feel very apprehensive. He just wants to survive at this point.

"The bandits took my rope, but I do have a hammer and some spikes. Can you hammer some in to aid in the climb up? I don't think I can make the climb without some aid."

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:48 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Guest wrote:
Nidhogg smiles. "I can do that." He says taking the hammer and spikes.
"What of my cloak and your bedroll can you cut them into strips and tie or braid them into a short rope?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:23 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Professor P wrote:
KOCH smacks his head and makes an exasperated grunt realizing he should have thought of that, "My brain is mush with no food, that's a great idea Nidhogg. I'll get on that while you figure out the best climbing path."

KOCH cuts his bedroll and Nidhogg's cloak into long strips with his fine shears and braids the strips together using his tailoring skills. He also uses his thread and needle to reinforce any weak parts of the makeshift rope. Once done, he hands it to Nodhogg, "It's the best I can do with the materials at hand and in a quick fashion. I hope it holds."

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:47 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Guest wrote:
"Thank you, Ser!" Nidhogg coils the rope around his shoulder counting off the length. "If there is enough we'll tie ourselves about the waist. I'll take the lead and secure the rope to the lead iron spike. If all goes well we will slowly make the passage. If not the rope may save us the worst of a fall!" Nidhogg will point out the hand and foot holds to Koch steeling himself for the ascent.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:10 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Professor P wrote:
"Here goes nothin'"

KOCH follows Nidhogg's lead.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:47 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

waysoftheearth wrote:
The construction of a 30ft make-shift rope take Koch some time in the dim light. Meanwhile Nidhogg attempts the climb.

The hammering in of spikes in a great effort, and the ring of hammer on spike seems to resound throughout the cavern as if it were the interior of some great bell being tolled. However, the effort does make the climbing far more straight forward.

The near vertical edge of the wall is some 20ft high. Then, there is almost as far again to traverse of the sloped "ceiling" though this is thick with hanging slabs of rock and staligtites, which Nidhogg uses to good advantage. One well placed spike in the side of a hanging column of rock turns a near impossible climb to a relatively simple thing.

With thirty minutes of strenuous work, Nidhogg attains the breach, and hauls himself physically through the small tunnel, which rises at 45 degree to the horizontal, on his belly... and at last pushes his face out into the cold, fresh air of the outside world!

Beyond, the sky is a grey dusk (or dawn?) overlooking a great chasm. There is a tiny ledge which he can scurry up onto, and then turn about to help pull Koch (who is still within) up...

Return to “Hinterlands”