(015) Near Saxxon's Gatehouse


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:37 am

(015) Near Saxxon's Gatehouse

waysoftheearth wrote:
Much to Victor's disgust, the company reverses the laden cart back down the bumpy hillock and plots a wide course around the shadowy crevice... Though it is labourious, this ploy seems to pay -- for no wild beast is encountered as the company circles about the cave, nor as you trek on through the grassy hillocks and make for the gatehouse on the east side of the ravine.

In all it is hot work despite the fresh breeze which sweeps the tops of each grassy ridges; climbing and descending the uneven rises encumbered as you are with gear and cart. But by midday almost a mile has been covered and all are reasonably pleased with progress. You have circled wide around the cave and now approach the second gate house.

Those scouting ahead of the company peer over the next grassy ridge to espy the tumbledown gatehouse that is Saxxon's redoubt -- where the brigands lair.

It stands some four score yards ahead and is clearly occupied for a lazy curl of smoke climbs up from some cook-fire before being whipped away by the cold wind.

A narrow tracks circumvents the grass lands and arcs in toward the gate house from the east, where upon it meets an open portcullis. Strangely, nobody appears to guard the open gate way.

Farther off in the east can be seen the shadow of the Wild Wood, but more immediately to hand, those ahead see that the gatehouse bridge which used to span the ravine -- connecting Saxxon's gatehouse (on the east side) to the Ogre's gatehouse (on the west side) -- has partially collapsed. But Saxxon's Men appear to have constructed some contrivance for spanning the gap, much like a movable draw-bridge. The timber works are current drawn up by numerous ropes so that the bridge is impassable.

Meanwhile, back with the main company, stomachs are rumbling and legs are tired. It has been a busy morning, and it is well past lunchtime.

What to do?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:03 pm

(015) Near Saxxon's Gatehouse

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Fair

"Already replaced your talents, I see." Mads says to the halfling. "Perhaps the gate house guards occupy the latrine and are already regretting their offenses?" he continues with a wry smile.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:07 pm

(015) Near Saxxon's Gatehouse

mushgnome wrote:
"Let us spy on the knave's comings and goings while we pause for lunch," suggests Highbough, snacking on a few crumbs of Elvish waybread. "Surely they are not foolish enough to leave the front door open and unguarded?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:09 pm

(015) Near Saxxon's Gatehouse

tombowings wrote:
"If no one has a rope and grapple, we may be waiting out time," says Pelenwin, "despite how much I'd like to rip these buggers' heads from their shoulders.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:20 pm

(015) Near Saxxon's Gatehouse

danhem wrote:
Ulric unslings pack and rubs his aching shoulders.

"Yes, let's have some food before we charge the gatehouse. This situation has a rather familiar quality to it. Hopefully these knaves will fall easier than the hobgoblins."

"Boris, Fix. Eat well. You will be joining us this time. It's time to earn your pay. But don't worry; they are only men, not monsters. But I'm sure that they have wealth equal to the ogres."

Ulric scans the layout of the gatehouses and ruined bridge.

"That is a most clever design," he says pointing toward the drawbridge. "This Saxxon seems to be quite intelligent; or at least someone in his crew is. We should not underestimate their defenses. Wibert, what do you know of the layout of the gatehouse? Is the gate usually left open?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:11 am

(015) Near Saxxon's Gatehouse

waysoftheearth wrote:
The company takes a quiet meal of dry rations in the lee of a ridge some five score or so yards from the gate house. Though nobody atop the gatehouse could spy your present position -- sheltered as you are behind the ridge -- you cannot know whether or not your approach has been marked. Doubtless those that remain will have since been alerted to the outcome of the ravine ambush...

Highbough and Ulric take pains to observe the activity at the gate house for a good while after the meal is complete, while the fighting Men fit and adjust their armour, and nervously check and re-check their weapons...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:15 am

(015) Near Saxxon's Gatehouse

waysoftheearth wrote:
The gatehouse itself appears to be a rather simple, square shaped fortification with a crenelated curtain wall about its perimeter.

The walls are, mayhap, 20ft tall. An arched gateway high enough for horse and cart to pass under leads into the fortification from the front -- where the portcullis is presently drawn up -- and presumably there must be a similar arrangement at the rear side where the bridge spans the ravine (although this cannot be seen from this angle). What can be seen is Saxxon's timber contrivance squatting upon the ruined stone-work that was once the bridge itself.

Only after waiting for a very good while...

(1d6)

...does Highbough finally spot one of the occupants upon the wall. A single figure appears momentarily to scan the surrounds, apparently targeting some strange staff -- perhaps a blow pipe? Or a wand? -- in a slow, passing arc, before vanishing from sight once more.

He did not seem to pay particular heed to the direction in which the company presently lie. Nor any other, for that matter.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:21 am

(015) Near Saxxon's Gatehouse

waysoftheearth wrote:
Wibert and Nidhogg recall that there is a second portcullis, on the bridge side of the gatehouse, and that there is an open courtyard within the curtain.

There are halls to either side of the courtyard, running parallel with the road to the bridge. The hall on the nearer side is used as quarters for the brigands, and the hall on the far side is used as a kitchen and mess hall. From this chamber there is a stair that descends to a store room (used as a larder, Wibert recalls), and from there deeper into the gatehouse dunjon, whence Wibert and Nidhogg never set foot.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:10 pm

(015) Near Saxxon's Gatehouse

heartless wrote:
verhaden wrote:Mads the Fair

"Already replaced your talents, I see." Mads says to the halfling. "Perhaps the gate house guards occupy the latrine and are already regretting their offenses?" he continues with a wry smile.


"Thats funny Mads, I like your talk", laughs Wibert.

"I think it best to sneak in, for they are expecting us and there will be traps waiting if we are not careful", suggests Wibert.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:07 pm

(015) Near Saxxon's Gatehouse

eris wrote:
heartless wrote:
verhaden wrote:Mads the Fair

"Already replaced your talents, I see." Mads says to the halfling. "Perhaps the gate house guards occupy the latrine and are already regretting their offenses?" he continues with a wry smile.


"Thats funny Mads, I like your talk", laughs Wibert.

"I think it best to sneak in, for they are expecting us and there will be traps waiting if we are not careful", suggests Wibert.

Olaf keeps an eye peeled behind the resting party as he munches on his trail rations and sips water from his skin.

He glances over at Wibert and says, "We killed all but one of the bandits that attacked us in the ravine. Do you think it's possible that Saxxon's men may not know you have quit them?"

"If you went strolling up to the gatehouse they might think you just got separated from the rest of your party and are returning the long way after avoiding us? Any chance of using that to get us in, or close, without being attacked?"

"Or even to lure some of the bandits out to come with you to 'ambush' us where we are camped? Not here, back that way." Olaf waves back toward the beast's lair, "Then when they come by us here, we ambush them!"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Next

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software